Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With all of the questions about the differences between the Black grille that comes with the NO Fog Lamps option and the Chrome one with Fog Lamps, I ordered the Black one so you could see what is looks like off the van and I compared it to the grille on the 2020 van at Matt Ford that was being delivered.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Comparing it to the grille in the Transit at the dealership, they are identical in shape and how they mount into the header panel with the locking tabs that go around the perimeter of the grille. I forgot to take the pictures of those locking tabs around the perimeter of the grille so maybe Brian will see this forum thread and add those pictures here.

He liked the grille enough to purchase it when he got his MR AWD Transit and he may even do a install video on how to remove the Chrome grille and install the Black one.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
When we first looked at the price on the Ford system, they were showing a $377.03 list price through the Ford Parts pricing system. Once we ordered it, the price changed to $403.89. Also ordered the same option application for the Honeycomb designed grille that only shows its application for the Chassis Cab/Cutaway version of the Transit.

Not sure why the price changed on the Ford order system unless something between the pricing system and the order system has different sources for getting their information. You may get this same conflicting information if ordering the grille through your local Ford dealership.

I am still questioning if the Honeycomb designed grille will fit a regular Transit van. It may have something to do with a different airflow that you get from this grille and Ford wanted a better airflow for the Chassis models since they would be adding a possible larger box or capsule than just a regular cargo body.

Since I placed the part numbers and pricing for ALL of the various Transit grilles that Ford was showing in their parts system in another forum thread, not sure how reliable those prices are with what happened on ordering them from Ford. Be sure to get a price when ordering the grille so you know exactly what is the price is and not get surprised later on especially if you need to get the more advanced grille with the Front/Rear Split View Camera.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Any word on if Ford will be picking up the costs of those that ordered early with the Black Grille and fog lights before it was apparent or communicated that the fog lights would force the chrome version?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ford is showing the chrome grille as the correct one for the Transit if it is ordered with the factory fog lamps. I went to Ford to try to get it as a mis-built vehicle but it is setup with that grille as the standard feature for the fog lamps so we can't go back to Ford to get the Black grille as a replacement for the one that came on the vehicle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I ordered a basic black honeycomb grill to replace my chrome one. Part LK4Z-17B968-EA cost was $269. It shipped today so hopefully I’ll have it soon. Looks like the swap isn’t too difficult. Can’t imagine the fitment would be different from the cargo model.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That may be the case now, but it wasn't when we ordered way back in September/October was it?
Ford came out after orders went into the system and tried to make changes to make the fog lamps only be available with the Exterior Upgrade package and they blocked me from adding fog lamps to orders unless I added the Exterior Upgrade to the order. I went to buyers who had not been scheduled yet and told them of the issue and what they wanted to do with the fog lamp situation. Some just deleted the fog lamps while other added the Exterior Upgrade package for $360 MSRP to get the fog lamps. Then the conflict arose with orders already in the system and Ford just plugged in the Chrome grille and left the black headlamp trim intact.

We have already seen from other forum members looking on dealer lots that Ford has placed the Chrome grille on all of the fog lamp orders that were in the early scheduled build group. Might be best to go and order the Black Bar grille or the Honeycomb grille and just sell your Chrome one. It will be a higher priced grille than the others and the ones that want the Chrome grille can get one cheaper than buying it from Ford.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
With the small black plastic rectangle under the Ford emblem it looks like the make the grille with that on it and then if the Transit has the Front/Rear Split View Camera they trim out the area for the camera. Now we will have to see a Transit with the grille camera and see how they make the camera fit inside the grille.

·
Registered
113 Posts
With the small black plastic rectangle under the Ford emblem it looks like the make the grille with that on it and then if the Transit has the Front/Rear Split View Camera they trim out the area for the camera. Now we will have to see a Transit with the grille camera and see how they make the camera fit inside the grille.
I thought you said the honeycomb grille wasn't available anywhere in the country? o_O

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
It looks like the front step people used to use to check the oil is gone on the 2020s, According to the 2020 Bemm the Adaptive Cruise Control radar is now in that location.
I do not know how to link the 2020 Bemm image of this, which is on page 142.

BLIS also now occupies the corners of the rear step/bumper.
Image on page 143 of the 2020 Bemm

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I thought you said the honeycomb grille wasn't available anywhere in the country? o_O
I am sure they sent this one and the one that arrived at the dealership directly from the vendor. There were -0- in the Ford Parts Distribution Centers when we ordered the first 2 grilles with the one you have coming to the dealership. The only sources would be at the Transit plant and the vendor who makes them. We ordered a second Black grille and the Honeycomb grille arrived the same day as the second ordered Black grille.

Since it seems like most of the Transit buyers are wanting to change out the Chrome grille to one of these grilles, we will try to keep BOTH in stock.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Installed the new grille today. Confirming it'll fit without any issues for the cargo model. I couldn't find a way to unclip the old one without removing the front bumper. If you have a front plate bracket it's riveted in, so you'll either need to drill those out or I just cut some excess plastic away to allow enough space to unbolt the 2 bolts that hold the bumper on at that location.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So all in all not too hard or long to do? Funny how the blue oval actually looks bigger on this grill! Need to get those HID head lamps!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Installed the new grille today. Confirming it'll fit without any issues for the cargo model. I couldn't find a way to unclip the old one without removing the front bumper. If you have a front plate bracket it's riveted in, so you'll either need to drill those out or I just cut some excess plastic away to allow enough space to unbolt the 2 bolts that hold the bumper on at that location. View attachment 132709
View attachment 132710
Looks great...how tough was the bumper to remove

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Installed the new grille today. Confirming it'll fit without any issues for the cargo model. I couldn't find a way to unclip the old one without removing the front bumper. If you have a front plate bracket it's riveted in, so you'll either need to drill those out or I just cut some excess plastic away to allow enough space to unbolt the 2 bolts that hold the bumper on at that location.

Did your van come with the Exterior Upgrade package? Can't tell from the picture if you have the Chrome trim around the headlamps that comes as part of that package. View attachment 132709
View attachment 132710

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bumper was about what you'd expect if you've ever taken one off a vehicle. Bunch of 10mm holding the under tray, few 10mm at top, 2x 14mm behind license plate bracket, pull clips, pull the headlights, pull plastic trim from fender few t25 screws in each fender well area. Then pry up some clips and yank it off.

My van was an early build cargo model. It came with black headlights, fog lights and a chrome grill. I swapped in factory HID headlights which have some chrome trim in there is what you're seeing. Quite the lighting upgrade!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am sure the Ford Parts Distribution Centers will be stocking up on the Honeycomb grill since it may be one of the features added to the 2020 Transit. With the conversion to the HID Headlamps looking to be just a change in the wiring harness, you may see BOTH of these parts added to the cargo van.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts