Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this isn't the first or the last time someone talks about a water leak. I searched for quite some time but was unable to find someone with a similar issue on the forum.

It's been raining heavily on some recent days. Each time, I get about 1 inch of water pooling in the cargo area, just behind the driver's side pillar as shown in the pictures below.

At first, I thought it was coming from the black molding 'clips' and was going to test that with a hose next time I got a chance. However, now I saw some traces suggesting it's coming from inside of the pillar. In fact, there's some water I saw dripping through one of the pillar holes, see picture #2.

I am having a real hard time determining the source of the leak, though.

Does this ring a bell to anyone?

I appreciate the input, thanks!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Could it be coming from the rubber plugs up on the roof?

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
The two most common cargo area leaks are the trim bolted through the wall, and the crappy "plugs" on the roof.

Yours is probably the roof.
Solutions:
Permanent sealant tape over the plug locations (VHB)
Caulking gun applied sealant (Dicor)
Remove "plugs", purchase and install correct size stainless bolts, rubber washer, stainless fender washer. Or make your own rubber covering like I did, I had some white 1/4" thick rubber sheet laying around.

None of these need to go crazy, overlapping the "plugs" by 1/4" all around should be sufficient.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ha! Just digging through the forums troubleshooting the exact same thing as above. I have water that comes through that same hole. I did a bunch of garden hose testing and put the van on a slight incline and clogged the gutters with a rag (and my hand) to force water to pool for a few minutes and couldn’t get it it to leak. I thought it was the sealant in the gutter. I have a 2019 and wouldn’t think it already was failing but who knows. Anyway - I couldn’t get it to leak. Then a few hours later it started and raining and after about 2 hours I had water in there. I don’t wonder if it’s coming in from one of the fuel door holes. (It’s very close to the same height. Unfortunately there isn’t anywhere to follow that leak up through the hole.
Has anyone else had this issue or found a leak than produced this aside from plugs? I don’t think it’s my plugs - I’ve pulled them and have butyl covering them at the moment that I believe is water right. I’ve sealed my trim and this to high for that anyway.
Would appreciate others thoughts and experiences.
Cheers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Continuing the above post...

This photo has a piece of newspaper I was using to aid in my leak detection efforts and also shows a screenshot I took from the video that shows the van being painted at the factory from a video that circulates this forum. You can barely see where the holes are. This weep hole (I think it’s designed to be a weep hole but am not sure) is about 11 3/4 inches off the floor.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I gave up trying to find my wall leaks four years ago, So far there does not seem to have been any harm done.
Camper build with foamboard insulation, No insulation inside the Transit walls.
Also I live somewhere hot, The sun bakes the inside of the Transit walls evaporating any moisture that might be in there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I gave up trying to find my wall leaks four years ago, So far there does not seem to have been any harm done.
Camper build with foamboard insulation, No insulation inside the Transit walls.
Also I live somewhere hot, The sun bakes the inside of the Transit walls evaporating any moisture that might be in there.
I’ve already purchased thinsulate - not excited about watering entering either way - but definitely not with a fiver based insulation.
Glad to hear it’s working well for you. Appreciate the reply! Cheers.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Maybe spray all the likely suspects in the walls before putting in fiber insulation...or bag your insulation in giant plastic bags

1 - 9 of 9 Posts