Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled off one of the factory roof plugs to run some cabling. I've since removed the cabling and actually kept the roof plug I pulled out. What sealant should I use to make sure this plug goes back in and is watertight? Should I just run some crazy glue around the perimeter, pop it back in, and then paint over it or something?

·
Registered
2020 AWD 350 High Roof, Long Body
175 Posts
I'd recommend 3M 5200, though be aware it'll take a while to setup during winter temps. Believe cure time is around 7 days but there's a quick cure variation that completes in 48hrs (again, winter probably impedes that time).

·
Registered
17 350 XLT HD passenger van converted
255 Posts
yes the 3M products mentioned work great but if you dont want to wait for the set times I would use sikaflex 221

·
Registered
2106 148MR Cargo
228 Posts
4200 if you EVER may want to remove the plug again, because 5200 is permanent.
IF 5200 is used it will take heat to soften it a bit for removal later.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Dicor is also good - use the non-self leveling variant. Dicor remains flexible, and can be removed / reapplied . Only drawback is it is a bit messy to use. Dicor is white. If you want something black and a little more permanent - 3M Window Weld is also good - both remain flexible and are very resistant to sun. Some of the other products mentioned above WILL harden in long term sun - perhaps not an issue on cooler climes - but in the West we absolutely need resilient adhesives.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Not an exact answer, but an alternative. I'm considering putting SS M8(?) eyebolts + rubber washers into some of the holes, if suction cups proof to be too much of a hassle/inadequate for a tarp awning.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Dicor is also good - use the non-self leveling variant. Dicor remains flexible, and can be removed / reapplied . Only drawback is it is a bit messy to use.
Not an exact answer, but an alternative. I'm considering putting SS M8(?) eyebolts + rubber washers into some of the holes, if suction cups proof to be too much of a hassle/inadequate for a tarp awning.
View attachment 145601 View attachment 145602
You may want to re-think the suction cups - any shear load on a suction cup will release it - they are really only made for tensile loads. M8 eye bolts are a good option - Hein (DIYvan) has some excellent brackets as well - they are made for 80/20 but can easily be used to mount awnings with a little finesse - the brackets bolt / seal directly to the Transit roof mounts and are a great way to prevent leaks. Elegant solution , but pricey. If you use a bolt, use Dicor and stainless washers - rubber will decay / crack.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Thanks for the tips.
Yea, I think the shear strength of the suction cup is factored down by the coefficient of friction of the painted steel which I pretty low ... unless I get on of those crappy paint jobs. ☹ So the suction cups would need to be proportionally larger.
I was actually thinking of using studs and female eyebolts. Different washer thickness > different eye orientation. I have a few half baked ideas I might want to play with using the eyebolts. So Dicor makes a lot of sense with that concept. Plus if I do the bolts at the same time as my fan, I'm already on the roof with an open tube of Dicor. (Note to self: test out suction cup awning and/or eyebolt install scheme prior to fan install.)

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Thanks for the tips.
Yea, I think the shear strength of the suction cup is factored down by the coefficient of friction of the painted steel which I pretty low ... unless I get on of those crappy paint jobs. ☹ So the suction cups would need to be proportionally larger.
I was actually thinking of using studs and female eyebolts. Different washer thickness > different eye orientation. I have a few half baked ideas I might want to play with using the eyebolts. So Dicor makes a lot of sense with that concept. Plus if I do the bolts at the same time as my fan, I'm already on the roof with an open tube of Dicor. (Note to self: test out suction cup awning and/or eyebolt install scheme prior to fan install.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went with urethane caulk - Motorcraft T-2B seam sealer that I found on Amazon. Definitely pricey compared to other sealant options, but I've dealt with multiple roof leaks now, both at plugs and the main seam right behind the front row. Seam sealer is holding up best so far (less than a year, though).

·
Registered
2019 Transit cargo, HR, 3.5 Eco, Quigley 4X4, “Vandemic”
58 Posts
I used Dicor non-leveling sealant to cover the 16 plugs in the roof of our 2019 HR 148 WB. It is also available in black.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I used self-leveling Dicor. Note you might as well use black regardless of the color of your van. White Dicor will inevitably turn brown and gray from UV and road dust.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I used some Sika 291 on the plugs that would be covered by the 3M VHB attached flexible solar panels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts