Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best method to splice into an existing circuit?

In a previous post, I asked about finding 12V that is switched on/off with ignition/engine. I found the correct wires, but I'm not sure the best method to splice and make the new connection. Are wire nuts going to last with the vibration in a van (same question when installing lighting, etc off the house batteries)....

Or will these work?

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Splice-Connector-22-18-Gauge/dp/B003L9G6FU[/ame]

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Would advise against using those or wire nuts.

What we do:

1 use stripper to bare wire to be spliced into.
2 wrap spliced-in wire around bare section.
3 solder
4 wrap to insulate with vinyl tape
5 protective wrap of cloth electrical tape.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan.com

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Would advise against using those or wire nuts.

What we do:

1 use stripper to bare wire to be spliced into.
2 wrap spliced-in wire around bare section.
3 solder
4 wrap to insulate with vinyl tape
5 protective wrap of cloth electrical tape.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan.com
That's what I do too ,,, except on big wires that draw big amps then instead I try to use no splices and absolutely minimum connections.

But then again in my systems the only thing that requires big wires is my battery charger.

Everything else uses small wires because I only use very efficient appliances.
I don't use any wire smaller then 14 gauge even on super low amp draw stuff like l.e.d s

One reason I use a lot of 14 gauge is I salvage a lot of power cords from the trash , inside each power cord is a 9 foot long white , green and black wire.
Or I can just use the white and black wire for example pos and negative and keep the black insulated shielding in place to use it simular to Ortons S O cord.

I use to have a box of about 80 power cords , i'm down to about maybe 10 from using them so much.

The second reason I use no smaller then 14 gauge is when I do Heins suggested method the thicker wire holds better , you can clean the wire with rubbing alcohol and then after winding the wire you can crush it with a clean vise grip right before soldering for a even better connection , even better then crimp connections and cheaper .

Most of the time I just use good quality electrical tape and then only use shrink tubing when I know it's going to be a long time connection.
Cheap electrical tape on temporary soon to be throw away connections.

I'll have to try the cloth protective tape , thanks for the tip Hein

·
Registered
196 Posts
I prefer WAGO products.

I don't use soldering at all for the marine or automotive environment. It is against ABYC codes. But everyone should choose whatever they like, I am sure it will be OK.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I prefer WAGO products.

I don't use soldering at all for the marine or automotive environment. It is against ABYC codes. But everyone should choose whatever they like, I am sure it will be OK.
Can you buy them local in the stores ?
I've been meaning to pick up some of those Wago connectors , I've never tried them .
One way or the other I can find a application for them and mayby to my surprise I will like them so much I start doing all of my connections with them .
Good post.

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
They call them scotch-loks. There is a weatherproof version too that is filled with dielectric grease. I would recommend those for use in a vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts