Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It is bed-making time in my transit - and I think I've seen every variation of the van bed out there at this point! Through all the searching, this particular video held my interest. Here's the link - Bed to Couch Conversion.

Start the video at 6:15 to see how it works.

The thing I like about this design is that it solves the issue of making the bed every day in a conversion van, while also allowing it to to convert into seating. But - I've never actually seen any other iterations of this concept. I'm thinking it might be more comfortable if it rose up on a track, rather than just lifted and hooked in one motion. I'd also probably make it electric, because, why not?

Does anyone have any input on this design? Are there are others I should be considering in this semi-fixed concept?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
If you don't want to be able to stand up in the back, and just need room to store motorcycles or something that you take out when you lower the bed, it's a good concept. If you just want to get a bed out of the way, I personally think there are better concepts so you can utilize the space better. A Murphy bed that folds up over the wheel well is a good use of space, but like the other bed you have to take tall stuff OUT before you can lower the bed and use it. For people making a van into a DIY RV, the fixed raised platform is a good floor plan, but it limits the amount of usable space. I like the dinettes that convert to a bed, because that's a 3-in-1 feature: bed, table, couch.

My oft shared pic of an Ikea Balkarp sofabed I built into a cabinet:

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is there a way to follow this thread? I was going to ask this very same question (and from the same video). I like this idea so was hoping to see others that can elborate and as FLyFIsh said, add a motor or winch system to make it electric raise/lower.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is there a way to follow this thread? I was going to ask this very same question (and from the same video). I like this idea so was hoping to see others that can elborate and as FLyFIsh said, add a motor or winch system to make it electric raise/lower.
Whoops never mind I dumb. Found the subscribe dealie

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't want to be able to stand up in the back, and just need room to store motorcycles or something that you take out when you lower the bed, it's a good concept. If you just want to get a bed out of the way, I personally think there are better concepts so you can utilize the space better. A Murphy bed that folds up over the wheel well is a good use of space, but like the other bed you have to take tall stuff OUT before you can lower the bed and use it. For people making a van into a DIY RV, the fixed raised platform is a good floor plan, but it limits the amount of usable space. I like the dinettes that convert to a bed, because that's a 3-in-1 feature: bed, table, couch.

My oft shared pic of an Ikea Balkarp sofabed I built into a cabinet:
Thanks for sharing, Bill! In the video posted, its actually not raising to the roof, but rather raising into a couch position.

Although you did just give me an interesting idea - If it was possible to pull the bed up in a track to make a couch, you could also have it go all the way around to have the bed on the ceiling (it would end up inverted, so it would need to be secured or removed). I do have a motorcycle and looked at hitch racks after giving up on the idea of putting it inside. That may solve the problem for the rare days I want to bring it along.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for sharing, Bill! In the video posted, its actually not raising to the roof, but rather raising into a couch position.

Although you did just give me an interesting idea - If it was possible to pull the bed up in a track to make a couch, you could also have it go all the way around to have the bed on the ceiling (it would end up inverted, so it would need to be secured or removed). I do have a motorcycle and looked at hitch racks after giving up on the idea of putting it inside. That may solve the problem for the rare days I want to bring it along.
Hi Flyfish … personally, I think Bill's murphy bed design is the most practical. I've even seen some murphy bed designs that have a flip out table when the bed is in the "up" position. Look at Bill's photo on the left … envision a hinged board on the underside that can be folded out to serve as a table/workstation. Having a murphy bed over the wheel well keeps it out of the way.

Also, there's a YouTube video that shows a lift system, using shocks, to bring the bed up to the van ceiling. The designer just needed to figure out the proper shock angles and can lift the bed up/down with one hand. Much better than a pully system.

BTW, drill some holes in the bed platform to allow ventilation, with the added bonus of reducing some of the weight too.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
If the Murphy bed is attached to some sort of vertical slide, it could be deployed at any level, making it the ultimate modular bed/couch system.

Using my pic as an example, the rear supports where I have hinges could be on a bar that goes in a vertical track (8020). The support legs on the opposite side would be adjustable, maybe some modified EZ-up tent legs. The bed could theoretically even be stowed on the ceiling as well as folded up to the side.The sliding side could be held in place with adjustable stops, or just a couple lengths of 2x4 if you're not particular.

One thing about the click-clack sofabeds; the center seam is noticeable when you lay on it. I use a piece of 2" twin size memory foam on it, and it's as comfortable as my bed at home.

I have a thread here called "Ikea Hacks For Vans" that shows some other Ikea stuff you can modify or scavenge for uses unintended by the designers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the RB components version of a flip up bed and overall we're happy with it. Surly Bill covered the pro's and cons pretty well. There is a big seam, but if you cover with a mattress pad you can't even feel it. I've gone back and forth about a platform bed, but i like having the space when needed.

I also made a small flip out piece that gains another 8"of sleeping space. I just cut foam and the bed sheet hold it in place. The couch is still functional too.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
There's a fella on YouTube who did a bed that is on actuators like the one on the op. I don't have a link but it was a pretty... Spartan... Build outside of the bed design.

I recall a recirculating shower in that build as well.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is interesting, thanks. And thanks to everyone that has contributed here. Long time lurker here... designing a build.

The bed it seems, is the center of a camping build especially when you have a SO to keep comfortable in the boonies. I've been working on a design and saw the video in the OP a while back. I have been working on a similar design but more like a trundle bed where the bed frame can collapse and the mattresses stack to reveal a seating area with a table. Below are images of the layout first with the bed deployed and second with the bed "Stowed". The third images is a design for cutting a single sheet of ply into the trundle slats and frame. The frame would be supported with cross beams at the rear, middle and front of the bed. These supports might be able to be moved up and down along a vertical L-track in order to negotiate garage height vs. bed headroom depending on cargo.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

We built a pretty unique murphy bed in our extended high roof, but since I'm a newbie, I can't share a link. You can see an animation of it at DwnShifters on facebook.

It is built and works great. I haven't taken finished photos of it yet, but happy to share.

J

·
Registered
5 Posts
I fabricated a $300 DIY bed lift in our high roof using linear motion rails from amazon and a small ATV winch from harbor freight. If you have any interest, you can check out more of the details HERE:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts