Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2018 LWB HR EXT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know at least one person who used bed liner (Line-X in their case) to cover and protect the entire exterior of their van. I know the aesthetic isn't for everyone, but I like it and am trying to figure if it's financially feasible.

Our local Line-X gave me an order of magnitude quote of $20k plus (WTF?) and I was wondering if anyone else here has done this sort of thing, what product you used, and what the cost was.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
There is factory Bedliner already under there, But the may have missed a few spots

·
Registered
292 Posts
Someone just did it with a Sprinter.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
You said Bedliner, Underneath the van covering the floor and most of the unibody frame.

Yes, It is sprayed on top of the paint

·
Registered
2018 LWB HR EXT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Someone just did it with a Sprinter.

Nice, thanks for the link. That looks like a short wheel base medium roof sprinter at $9kish. Even with the added area of my van, $20k seems excessive.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Ok, I was talking the chunky stuff like they spray in pickup truck beds, It is all over the underside of a Transit.

·
Registered
153 Posts
There's been a trend called "dipping" your car which uses Plastidip (or similar) which gives a thin rubberized layer that's less permanent but pretty effective. Some people have gone a few years with only minor chips in the finish. People used to do it by cans, there's now commercial options which lets you do it out of a professional paint gun.

Don't spray over rust without fixing it, because it will trap water and rot from the inside out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I picked up some Raptor bedliner and am planning to spray the bumpers, side trim (and paint below trim), once some other parts filter in. Seems like a pretty good product from all the reviews and such that I could find. Also was suprisingly affordable.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ok, I was talking the chunky stuff like they spray in pickup truck beds, It is all over the underside of a Transit.
Yeah, that's undercoating. The bedliner spray dry to a hard, plastic-like finish (undercoating tends to stay rubbery), and can take a surprising amount of abuse. Folks have been spraying the inside of their truck beds and jeep tubs for a while and now have started doing the entire vehicle in it. I'm pretty stoked to try it myself as it's pretty simple to apply, durable, and should it get damaged, it's easy to touch up.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Midwestdrifter on Sprinter forum coated his with blue liner several years ago and has been pleased. He is now making some window changes and it is quite evident the color fades with time. He is contemplating how he will dress the old to match the new.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You might want to calculate the weight before going this route, depending on both how heavy your build is and your combination of wheelbase / body style / roof height. LINE-X weighs around .7 pounds per square foot so it probably wouldn't be that bad, but some builds are cutting it close with a full tank, water topped off, and all seats occupied. Just a thought.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You might want to calculate the weight before going this route, depending on both how heavy your build is and your combination of wheelbase / body style / roof height. LINE-X weighs around .7 pounds per square foot so it probably wouldn't be that bad, but some builds are cutting it close with a full tank, water topped off, and all seats occupied. Just a thought.
Agree, but keep in mind that that bed liner is not necessarily the same as 'body coat bed liner'. Line-X has a different product that is used for lighter duty applications that weighs significantly less.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Our local Line-X gave me an order of magnitude quote of $20k plus (WTF?) and I was wondering if anyone else here has done this sort of thing, what product you used, and what the cost was.

Thanks!
I would just DIY. There are plenty of DIY 2-part Bedliner on the market. Pick the finished surface that you like. Just lightly sanded, tack clothed, and spray. HF sells the spray gun.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Agree, but keep in mind that that bed liner is not necessarily the same as 'body coat bed liner'. Line-X has a different product that is used for lighter duty applications that weighs significantly less.
Good point. I had forgotten they have a different product for the body coat.

It would apply for any DIY application using something like Raptor Liner, but the numbers would be off a bit.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
I used the Duplicolor spray on bed protector on the rocker panels of my Tacoma and it worked great for years. It worked so well that I didn't hesitate to use it on the hood of my Sprinter when the rock chips became a constellation.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I picked up some Raptor bedliner and am planning to spray the bumpers, side trim (and paint below trim), once some other parts filter in. Seems like a pretty good product from all the reviews and such that I could find. Also was suprisingly affordable.
The Westy people have been DIYing Raptor Liner for years on the lower panels with good results. When I had a Westy I was contemplating going with either that or MonsterLiner. Raptor kits are available on GoWesty and MonsterLiner is available directly from them. The only difference is MonsterLiner can be effectively rolled on and they have a ton of color options too. Both are really affordable options and I may go the MonsterLiner route with my lower panels on my new transit at some point. Adds protection and alleviates the almost instant fading of the plastic trim

1 - 20 of 23 Posts