Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
@gregoryx, yes it is a 4" thick mattress. Works for us but if we were heavy people we would probably bottom out. We had to go with the thinner mattress to allow room for storage of two mountain bikes, a dinette and the bed above. Luckily we are of average height (5'-9") and have a high roof because we still have head room for us to walk and sit underneath the bed.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
3,679 Posts
@gregoryx, yes it is a 4" thick mattress. Works for us but if we were heavy people we would probably bottom out. We had to go with the thinner mattress to allow room for storage of two mountain bikes, a dinette and the bed above. Luckily we are of average height (5'-9") and have a high roof because we still have head room for us to walk and sit underneath the bed.
Indeed. Glad to hear you've taken into account what is comfortable for you; I think it gets missed sometimes. We're 50 pounds less than average each, so we could probably get away with less cushion as well; but that's not always taken into account in many of the RVs (not just self-builds). I like the simplicity of designing around a standard, legit queen-sized mattress; but it would take up a lot more space to put that inside and all the way to the roof, obviously.

I really like the "dinette under the bed" premise. But it doesn't match up with the high garage use we tend to have. Our last rig had the dining area just in front of the bed but that doesn't leave room for a shower. Always with the compromises! Need a method of squeezing two queen-size beds plus seating for four and a shower... in a medium-length! :LOL:

·
Registered
13 Posts
My bed hangs from the ceiling and drops down using a pulling system with ropes and linear actuater. We love it. This allows us to have a dinette and storage of two mountain bikes underneath in a high roof van. Luckily we are of average height so it works well for us.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Love to see some photos and or any plans. I am in the build mode and love this idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I thought about a bed lift, but not because I wanted to change the height regularly…instead because I wanted to be able to level the bed independent of the van. A three strap system instead of four plus an arduino with some sensors should do it well. What I never got my mind around was a simple way to then lock it in place so it doesn’t sway. I mean that’s not a terribly tough nut to crack, but by the time I kind of had it all planned out it got complex enough I just didn’t feel like bothering.

(As for the three strap system, the way to go seemed like two straps on the front two corners and then one strap in the middle at the rear.)

Anyone seen anyone that’s done something like that?

—Donnie

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
3,679 Posts
Anyone seen anyone that’s done something like that?
Haven't seen it done. Seen more than one person suggest a variation - including a couple suggesting they were going to do it with linear actuators. Pretty sure all of them are the same: when you haven't done something, it seems so easy; what is involved in making it work and work well isn't obvious until actually implementing.

Case in point for /most/ of the up/down bed arrangements is that they have a stable platform they sit on at the bottom and top. Again... not all... doesn't seem to be how @coguzzi did it. But usually done that way because otherwise it's unstable - swinging around and such.

We thought about it with our lifters; but realized they'd have to be REALLY stable - like each one on it's own - for it to work well without being a big floppy mess. Much harder to do than expected.

But if you figure it out...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Case in point for /most/ of the up/down bed arrangements is that they have a stable platform they sit on at the bottom and top. Again... not all... doesn't seem to be how @coguzzi did it. But usually done that way because otherwise it's unstable - swinging around and such.
Actually my bed does sit on cabinet/counter/base when it is down. it has to meet up with 2 cushion extensions to make it 75" east/west bed. be pretty small E/W bed if it didnt. it is in a track as well but be impossible to make it 100% nonsway. up position is against the ceiling--again no sway
Sink Tap Plumbing fixture Interior design Lighting

Vehicle Airplane Automotive design Aircraft Air travel

I have done north/south arrangement beds that DO NOT meet a solid surface in the down position because floor plan didnt allow for it (like another bed underneath in sprinters--ie--more narrow at top than bottom). just not my preference

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.