Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen several posts that talk about bed lifts, such as the Happijac or similar lifts with tracks and actuators, but only a few mention lifts that drop down from the ceiling on straps or ropes.
So far I have seen some mentioned here:
and here:

One diy hand crank on ropes solution was here:

And another somewhat described here:

These are all mounted in the rear, but I am considering mounting this in the front part of the vehicle (high roof) above and out of the way of the airbags, to be lowered over the crew van seating, allowing the full use of the back for cabinets and what-not. As such, the tracks or actuators would not work, but straps may be doable.

Anyone see any obvious issues I am missing?

What I have found that I am interested in is a kit or system that I can purchase to install, rather than build my own, as it will be suspended above people and I do not wish my crappy diy skills to be responsible for crushing them.

One system was found here:

And another here:

The Euro loft bed kit seems ideal, as you could buy the lift and attach it to a platform of your choice to fit within your space. I'm pretty sure this is what Winnebago uses in the Revel. I contacted Lippert, but they will only sell to OEM RV builders.
Has anyone found an OEM builder that can sell you parts like this?

What other solutions have others seen?

Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
i am too trying to add a bed lift over the crew seating area. I want to have a 3 seat/bed foldable and have a bed lift come down to create a bunk style. kitchen and toilet in the back to create a bigger garage

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got the same results with LCI. They only sell to manufacturers. At this point i think i will engineer one myself. I will build the Frame with 8020 and i just need to figure out what type of motor i will use. There are many right angle motor on the market like this one TSINY 27rpm Low Rpm Small 12v DC Worm Electric Right Angle Gear Motor with 8mm Out Shaft - - Amazon.com

Just need to find the right one. The rest is pretty easy to build.
Did you ever make this bed? I’m considering 80/20 for drop down bed but have no idea where to start.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My bed hangs from the ceiling and drops down using a pulling system with ropes and linear actuater. We love it. This allows us to have a dinette and storage of two mountain bikes underneath in a high roof van. Luckily we are of average height so it works well for us.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
My bed hangs from the ceiling and drops down using a pulling system with ropes and linear actuater. We love it. This allows us to have a dinette and storage of two mountain bikes underneath in a high roof van. Luckily we are of average height so it works well for us.

Could you please share more details? What hardware, what platform, etc?
Ideally I would like to install the lower down bed right behind the cab and then when it's down to extend another 2 feet over the swivel front seats.
I was also considering 3'x6' lower down bed behind driver seat (leaning on the cabinet of second row bench seat) and then have 1' extend towards sliding door. This would take away chunk of storage on top, behind bench seat though.
Help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Could you please share more details? What hardware, what platform, etc?
Ideally I would like to install the lower down bed right behind the cab and then when it's down to extend another 2 feet over the swivel front seats.
I was also considering 3'x6' lower down bed behind driver seat (leaning on the cabinet of second row bench seat) and then have 1' extend towards sliding door. This would take away chunk of storage on top, behind bench seat though.
Help would be greatly appreciated.
I did a design a la Foxharp with some modifications. I used a 12v linear actuator from Progressive Automations.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
If I wanted a bed lift I would buy four hydraulic cylinders to change the height of the bed platform.

Hydraulic Lift - Hydraulic Lift Systems for Tables & Benches (ergosource.com)

I designed and built a bottle case unloader and used same type of lifting system to adjust the case side grip belts for different height cases. Simple and worked great. Either electrically powered or manual pump. Pump has multiple gear pumps on common shaft so same amount of oil is supplied to each cylinder so each piston moves the same distance.

If someone in Northern Ca. would like a hydraulic platform bed lift, I would be happy to design it for you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If I wanted a bed lift I would buy four hydraulic cylinders to change the height of the bed platform.

Hydraulic Lift - Hydraulic Lift Systems for Tables & Benches (ergosource.com)

I designed and built a bottle case unloader and used same type of lifting system to adjust the case side grip belts for different height cases. Simple and worked great. Either electrically powered or manual pump. Pump has multiple gear pumps on common shaft so same amount of oil is supplied to each cylinder so each piston moves the same distance.

If someone in Northern Ca. would like a hydraulic platform bed lift, I would be happy to design it for you.
Looks like these hydraulics have a range of only 6"-16, this would not of worked for my design. The linear actuator I use has a 30" stroke.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Looks like these hydraulics have a range of only 6"-16, this would not of worked for my design. The linear actuator I use has a 30" stroke.

Where they would work is if a person wanted a bed platform high for bike storage and lower for use after bikes were removed.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
3,679 Posts
This was the same argument I heard about 24" of lift when I first did it - and, in fact, I had hoped for more. I think 30" is plenty; but it's certainly not bottom-to-top. Turns out 24" is plenty a queen-size bed to go from less than 2' below the bed (in the garage / slider area) to max out the mattress inside the rear door. But if one were not using the space inside the rear door OR using a small / low mattress, more could work.

@Unchained_Souls setup is a good example: looks like a pretty thin mattress and it's not in the rear door - it's inside the cab completely.

Here's a shot of bed at lowest:

And highest

and with a street bike

and loaded for a lot of sports

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.