Ford Transit USA Forum banner
81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Since we seem to be commiserating about other drivers:

I'm in the right lane with my cruise set (usually a few km/h under the limit) and I'm slowly creeping up on the vehicle ahead. I make my relaxed way over to the passing lane, making sure I'm not getting in the way of someone with more money than brains (or in dire need of both.) It is only after I'm fully in that lane, still on cruise with speed unaltered, that the person in the vehicle being passed seems to wake up feeling very insecure about a large white van slowly overtaking them. They accelerate, leaving me looking like a jackass slowly motoring down the highway in the left lane. Speed still unchanged, and making sure that an even worse driver hasn't appeared suddenly at warp speed trying to pass me on the right, I edge back over into the right lane shaking my head in disgust.

I curse the stupidity of this person because inevitably we are both doomed to repeat the scenario at least a few more times until either I change my speed setpoint or get off the highway.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Driving semi truck, I pass everybody going down hill and they pass me going uphill. Passing the same cars over and over can go on for what seems like hours.
Rolling hills, Fully loaded on cruise control I lose about 5 mph going uphill. On flat ground I can easily maintain the same speed the cars do. This was 20 years ago and I drove long haul part time.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Driving semi truck, I pass everybody going down hill and they pass me going uphill.
Just for the record, my account above usually happens on flat sections.

I get what you're talking about though. I actually like when I get behind big trucks most of the time. I just hang out at a respectful distance and save fuel by accelerating slowly. There's a good chance they're wanting to travel at least the speed limit, so not much point in me passing them.

It's funny. If you would ask my parents and friends from the past they'd tell you about my passion for speed. Give me the right vehicle and situation and I'm certain to get myself into trouble at the local highway tax collection station. Give me a tall heavy van I live in with all my worldly possessions and it's a different story.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
bowdlerized
Never heard that word, so I had to look it up. What I learned was quite interesting and as good any (long overdue?) excuse to move this tired thread off topic to something more interesting.

"Few editors have achieved the notoriety of Thomas Bowdler. Bowdler was trained as a physician, but when illness prevented him from practicing medicine, he turned to warning Europeans about unsanitary conditions at French watering places. He then carried his quest for purification to literature, and in 1818 he published his Family Shakspeare [sic], a work in which he promised that "those words and expressions are omitted which cannot with propriety be read aloud in a family." The sanitized volume was popular with the public of the day, but literary critics denounced his modifications of the words of the Bard. Bowdler applied his literary eraser broadly, and within 11 years of his death in 1825, the word bowdlerize was being used to refer to expurgating books or other texts." Merriam-Webster.com

Perhaps I never heard the word because, not being very worldly, I have not spent much time in French watering holes or studying Shakespeare. In a way Cole Porter lyrics sorta have some commonality with rap.

·
Registered
2017 Transit T250 3.7L. 148wb magnetic
2,083 Posts
Even though these days I drive like a grandpa it's common courtesy to get out of the fast lane if
somebody needs to get by.
I could care less how fast somebody goes as long as there in the fast lane , faster they go the less
traffic , the less traffic the safer.
You'll usually find me poking along in the slow lane .

81 - 86 of 86 Posts