Ford Transit USA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
Build date 5/10/2021: 148", medium roof, Adventure Prep, Avalanche Grey..
152 Posts
No. The traffic is slow and steady but thick. I have 1 to 1.5 car lengths in front of me and the person behind me gets impatient and swings around with the intention of cutting me off because they're tired of looking at my big ingot silver a$$.
Seems like no one wants to be behind the big girl.
You speed up deliberately to prevent people from passing you. That's game playing at best, road rage behavior at worst. No high fives for you, you're not the good guy here.

·
Registered
2020 T350, High Top, AWD, 148", 3.5 eco, 3.73
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
You speed up deliberately to prevent people from passing you. That's game playing at best, road rage behavior at worst. No high fives for you, you're not the good guy here.
Thanks mom.
Wasn't looking for "high fives" nor validation that I was the good guy.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
On the interstate all of the traffic seems to run in packs or groups, I try to stay between the packs where I pretty much have the whole road to myself. With my Transit it is all hwy miles in the Midwest or the Deep South.
I hope for this ideal situation as well. I enjoy setting the acc and enjoying the ride.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Should this thread be retitled True Transit Driving Confessions ?

I admitted my passive-aggressive actions with cling-ons; qapla!
I can see where the ecoboost would be a handy tool to deal with corner-creepers (they drive way below the speed limit on corners and no-passing zones, but floor it when straight stretches or passing lanes appear; black smoke pouring out of their tailpipe, front end lifting, then go back to 40mph when you can't pass)

Reactions: pbethel and Tijoe

·
Registered
882 Posts
Lemme preface this by saying, I'm not one for road rage or aggressive driving.
That said, isn't it fun to surprise people with the twin turbos when they don't want to be "stuck" behind you on the interstate?
I find myself in the fast lane frequently, behind other traffic, just minding my business and going with the flow and there is always that joker that thinks I'm impeding the flow or just doesn't want to be behind a big 'ol van. They try to swing around me via the slow lane and I actually have the power to keep them from overtaking me.
My thought is, I'm not holding you up and you don't NEED to be in front of me, so you can wait behind me. 😈😈😈
Tell me i'm not alone with this.
I've had this happen many times, and I can always keep them from cutting in if I want, but I'm starting to realize I do the same thing when in my suv and behind someone in a tall vehicle. It's mostly visibility because I can't see what's holding the line up so I assume it's the vehicle in front of me, and I hate not being able to see the line of brake likes ahead when everyone slows for some reason. For that reason I've been reminding myself I chose this vehicle and nothing good ever comes from getting locked into little road wars. They escalate and ruin the drive for me too.

A few months ago I found myself racing some dude at 98mph in the van and I only won by passing on a two lane where it got dicey. I never feel good in the long run after things like that, even if I got to laugh at the guy and feel some fleeting sense of victory for a few minutes. I just feel shallow and reckless when I think about it now.

But I know what you mean and I do sometimes feel like you described. That ecoboost delivers! And hey man, you wanna race, you got one. I'm down for a Vannonball Run!

Cheers.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
I've daydreamed about having access to some sort of real-time overhead view of wtf is making traffic stop, then go 80mph, then stop again. Maybe the CyberTruck will have an integrated autonomous drone for such things.

Reactions: Sparky961

·
Registered
2020 T350 EB AWD SRW HR EL
125 Posts
I've daydreamed about having access to some sort of real-time overhead view of wtf is making traffic stop, then go 80mph, then stop again. Maybe the CyberTruck will have an integrated autonomous drone for such things.
Wait, aren't you the guy that scoffed at having any sort of screen in a vehicle? ;)

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Wait, aren't you the guy that scoffed at having any sort of screen in a vehicle? ;)
Just the giant screens, like the 10-24" dash-mounted ones that are so in vogue now. HUGE safety hazard, until autonomous driving is engaged.

Reactions: pbethel

·
Registered
353 Posts
Let me join in and say that the freeway is not a place to play games. End of debate.

·
Registered
2020 T350 EB AWD SRW HR EL
125 Posts
Just the giant screens, like the 10-24" dash-mounted ones that are so in vogue now. HUGE safety hazard, until autonomous driving is engaged.
At least it cuts down on phone-using drivers. I view it as a "harm reduction" strategy, sort of like handing out sterile syringes to heroin addicts.

·
Registered
367 Posts
In regards to the visibility issues for cars behind me, I’m also pretty conscientious about breaking early and gradually because they can’t see the brake lights in front me. Always checking my mirrors to in case I have to duck onto the shoulder if they aren’t paying attention. Don’t want someone slamming in to me because they didn’t realize we were coming up to stopped/slow traffic.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I've had this happen many times, and I can always keep them from cutting in if I want, but I'm starting to realize I do the same thing when in my suv and behind someone in a tall vehicle. It's mostly visibility because I can't see what's holding the line up so I assume it's the vehicle in front of me, and I hate not being able to see the line of brake likes ahead when everyone slows for some reason. For that reason I've been reminding myself I chose this vehicle and nothing good ever comes from getting locked into little road wars. They escalate and ruin the drive for me too.

A few months ago I found myself racing some dude at 98mph in the van and I only won by passing on a two lane where it got dicey. I never feel good in the long run after things like that, even if I got to laugh at the guy and feel some fleeting sense of victory for a few minutes. I just feel shallow and reckless when I think about it now.

But I know what you mean and I do sometimes feel like you described. That ecoboost delivers! And hey man, you wanna race, you got one. I'm down for a Vannonball Run!

Cheers.

Ha! Vannonball run! Love it!

·
Registered
2019 250 148 mr
259 Posts
In regards to the visibility issues for cars behind me, I’m also pretty conscientious about breaking early and gradually because they can’t see the brake lights in front me. Always checking my mirrors to in case I have to duck onto the shoulder if they aren’t paying attention. Don’t want someone slamming in to me because they didn’t realize we were coming up to stopped/slow traffic.
All the more reason to leave a couple extra car lengths too, in spite of the fact that some people think that the space is for them to get to their destination .5 seconds faster instead of for your and other's road safety.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I love the looks on folks faces with my short wheelbase low roof Ecobeast blast ahead of them at a stoplight or on the freeway.
I drive aggressive/defensive and love it. Red Chaser for the win :)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Me too. Long before personal drones were a thing.

I look forward to the day when there's a local ad-hoc mesh communication network between vehicles with semi-autonomous control. Correctly implemented, this could vastly improve traffic flow and reduce collisions.

Navigation using Google Maps already implements this in a rudimentary way by showing traffic slow downs, but it's still left to people to try and muddle thier way through without the big picture.

I generally drive my van as though all of my personal possessions and my life are at stake...

...Oh, wait. They are!

41 - 60 of 86 Posts