Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
CA, Bay Area, Sections of I-80 around Berkeley and Oakland. I'm sure the South Bay has even bigger highways.

Reactions: Robert24b

·
Registered
654 Posts
I understand where you are coming from and what you are trying to explain. Similar things happen to me in my 350HD dually full size van. I have a few high horse power cars with a lot more umph than my Transit and am familiar with sitting frustrated behind larger vehicles that sit too long in the left lane. (For the size of the Transit, the 3.5 turbo engines have a lot of power that other vehicles don't anticipate.)

In my transit, I have found the following:
1. Even when you are passing other vehicles in the left and going with the flow of traffic or faster, drivers sitting behind you can not see around you to make a determination if you are blocking them and going slower than the cars in front of you, so for many, their inclination is to pass you using the right lane if and when possible, independent of your speed.
2. The assumption, which is true probably 80% of the time, is that the driver of the larger vehicle is camped out in the left lane and going slower than the flow of traffic. It happens often enough to me in my other cars that I will try to pass the larger vehicle using a right lane. From my perspective, in a smaller vehicle it is safer overall to be in front of a Semi, truck or van, because I can see farther up the road once I am around them.
3. When I drive my van in heavy traffic, I know that cars behind me can't see around me, so even though I am driving with the flow of traffic in the left lane, I will shift over one lane whenever possible, while maintaining the same speed, and let many of the smaller vehicles pass me, before shifting back into the left lane again.
4. The other thing I experience in my van is that I will and do pass slower cars on 2 lane roads where the driver in front of me is driving 65 in a 70 speed zone. I have had numerous drivers flip me off as I pass. For some reason they do not believe that a vehicle that is larger than them should be passing. (In my other small cars, I seldom, if ever, get flipped of when passing a slower vehicle.)
5. I initiate a legitimate pass in the van to go around a vehicle that is going way below the posted speed limit and then when I am beside the vehicle I am passing, the drive increases their speed and tries not to let me pass. (Luckily the van has plenty of acceleration when this scenario happens. )

·
Registered
2020 T350, High Top, AWD, 148", 3.5 eco, 3.73
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I understand where you are coming from and what you are trying to explain. Similar things happen to me in my 350HD dually full size van. I have a few high horse power cars with a lot more umph than my Transit and am familiar with sitting frustrated behind larger vehicles that sit too long in the left lane. (For the size of the Transit, the 3.5 turbo engines have a lot of power that other vehicles don't anticipate.)

In my transit, I have found the following:
1. Even when you are passing other vehicles in the left and going with the flow of traffic or faster, drivers sitting behind you can not see around you to make a determination if you are blocking them and going slower than the cars in front of you, so for many, their inclination is to pass you using the right lane if and when possible, independent of your speed.
2. The assumption, which is true probably 80% of the time, is that the driver of the larger vehicle is camped out in the left lane and going slower than the flow of traffic. It happens often enough to me in my other cars that I will try to pass the larger vehicle using a right lane. From my perspective, in a smaller vehicle it is safer overall to be in front of a Semi, truck or van, because I can see farther up the road once I am around them.
3. When I drive my van in heavy traffic, I know that cars behind me can't see around me, so even though I am driving with the flow of traffic in the left lane, I will shift over one lane whenever possible, while maintaining the same speed, and let many of the smaller vehicles pass me, before shifting back into the left lane again.
4. The other thing I experience in my van is that I will and do pass slower cars on 2 lane roads where the driver in front of me is driving 65 in a 70 speed zone. I have had numerous drivers flip me off as I pass. For some reason they do not believe that a vehicle that is larger than them should be passing. (In my other small cars, I seldom, if ever, get flipped of when passing a slower vehicle.)
5. I initiate a legitimate pass in the van to go around a vehicle that is going way below the posted speed limit and then when I am beside the vehicle I am passing, the drive increases their speed and tries not to let me pass. (Luckily the van has plenty of acceleration when this scenario happens. )
Well put!

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Just get a 2020 or 2021 Transit with the Adaptive Cruise Control and even setting it at 85 MPH, it will leave a distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. Try setting it at this speed and with the vehicle in front of you going this same speed, see how it feels when another car cuts you off so close that your Transit slams on the brakes!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just get a 2020 or 2021 Transit with the Adaptive Cruise Control and even setting it at 85 MPH, it will leave a distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. Try setting it at this speed and with the vehicle in front of you going this same speed, see how it feels when another car cuts you off so close that your Transit slams on the brakes!
Been there. It really pisses off the people behind you. They think that you're brake checking them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm a middle lane +5 mph above the speed limit kind of person. I leave the right lanes to the on and off ramp folks and the left lanes to the speedsters.

I get it; I'm in a van and folks would like to see what's happening up ahead when they're behind me so they pass. I'm fine with it. I will still get to my destination when I expected to provided that the lane swapping folks don't cause a wreck and spoil it for all of us.

-Mike

·
Registered
7,516 Posts

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
I guess my biggest dick move is to hug the centerline when I get one of those people that like to drive 10' back and hang 3-4' out to "see around", even though it's a double yellow stripe no-passing road and I'm already going 10mph over the speed limit, or traffic is backed up and there's no way to go any faster. Always fun to watch them gradually get halfway into the oncoming lane and have to swerve back to avoid oncoming traffic, just to creep over there again.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
883 Posts
While I try to avoid the aggressive levels I've held in the past (and still sometimes do)... I drive pretty aggressively much of the time. Basically, I'm going about as fast as anyone else - except the weaving-through folks. I've been that guy before, so I don't mind them. I also appreciate that no-one wants to be behind my big box; heck, I don't want to be behind one when I'm in a car!

But I (and my son - the primary drivers on this and the last rig) are aware of "tonnage rights" that seem to be a law of physics to me. I know not to stop a motorcycle in front of a fast-moving car - they /can't/ stop as fast. And I know not to brake-check a big rig - same deal. And there's only so far I can go to controlling a 4.5-ton rig and I'm not going past that limit - even if I want to. Thankfully, the Transit stops a LOT better than the Sprinter; but either one is a lot of vehicle to control relative to a zippy sedan buzzing next to or in front of it.

So... scaring someone by filling up their side-view or their rear-view... law of physics. Good news is, they usually get that science / religion real quick. 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
43 Posts
Since trading in my WRX for a Transit, I've been getting passed on the right quite a bit. Thing is, I typically drive the Transit in the rightmost lanes. Apparently so many people squat in the passing lanes that the Audi coupes, Lexus SUVs, and lowered Hondas are now used to doing high-speed passes using the far-right lane. My lumbering white box was confusing enough to one driver to send him swerving into the trash-strewn breakdown lane at 75mph+ to get around me.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's a good way to get shot. You never know why someone else is doing what they are doing... perhaps they have a person trying to get to a hospital as fast as possible, or perhaps they are late for some appointment, or perhaps they are some hot head having a bad day... it really does not matter though, if you cut off or block the wrong person you can end up in a coffin.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
I don't worry about blocking someone if I'm already in the ticket range of speeding. (more than 10mph over the limit)

Reactions: Robert24b

·
Registered
367 Posts
I know what you're talking about. Because the transit is big and heavy, and takes longer to stop, I leave more space in front of me than I would in any of my other normal cars when I'm in traffic on big highways. I'm going the same speed as the car in front of me, just with a good 1.5 car lengths (or more) ahead of me. Left lane, passing slower cars on the right more or less consistently (I do drive fast 5-10 over most of the time). But there are always idiots who just can't stand it being behind me and try to whip around the right lane when there is minute opening to get in front of me. As others mentioned, I'm sure some of the time they can't tell I'm going the same speed as everyone else in the left lane because their view is blocked.

In most of my other cars, I would close the gap to block it because I'm going the same speed as the car in front of me and passing on the right to get over one car ahead is stupid, but in the Transit I just let them do their thing. Sure, the turbo could certainly close the gap, but it's honestly not safe in such a big vehicle to do a move like that, not because of accel but because of deceleration capabilities. If the car in front of you slams on their brakes unexpectedly, you're screwed

That's on an empty HR AWD EXT van. Once I'm fully loaded up to 9000+ lbs, forget it. For once in my life, I'll take the slow lane and cruise at the speed limit. Not worth the risk, to my safety, or for damaging my (very) expensive and labor intensive build. Even if it's not my fault, getting in a crash means no house, and losing hundreds of hours of labor. Plus you lose a lot of MPG going past 65 mph, which adds up over time.

RickT has a good point too. There are a lot of psychotic people on the road with guns in their car. And those are the kind of people who would shoot someone even if they were the one who instigated it with reckless driving. Not worth getting shot.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
It's a good way to get shot. You never know why someone else is doing what they are doing... perhaps they have a person trying to get to a hospital as fast as possible, or perhaps they are late for some appointment, or perhaps they are some hot head having a bad day... it really does not matter though, if you cut off or block the wrong person you can end up in a coffin.
I have bullet proof doors.
But thanks for pointing out the obvious and speaking down to me. Maybe I have a death wish.

·
Registered
'21 XLT MR 148 Wagon, Eco, 3:31 LSD, RWD, PSD, NAV, ACC
91 Posts
This SUCKS! Had it happen to me about a week ago while the ACC was set at 80 mph in the early morning hours on I-95, light traffic. I saw the J.O. a looong way back coming in hot in my passenger side view and was aware that the gap he would have to shoot was impossibly small, especially at those speeds, with the bumper of a semi in front of him and a Big Blue Transit to his side. Plenty of time for him to make his calculations.
The logical choice has to be brake a little and fall in.....

Well, J.O. didn't fear death and must have shot the gap at 100 mph, WFO!
ACC did what it does and spilled my HUGE drink and gear all throughout the vehicle.
I was irate. I kept the J.O. in sight for a while, with intent to empty the tires of his vehicle after he parked.

I soon conceded that the 64 ounces of ice & water streaming across the vinyl floor and strewn moto gear were more pressing and pulled off. As I tidied up I thanked myself for taking the time to lash the footpegs to the floor as well!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
This SUCKS! Had it happen to me about a week ago while the ACC was set at 80 mph in the early morning hours on I-95, light traffic. I saw the J.O. a looong way back coming in hot in my passenger side view and was aware that the gap he would have to shoot was impossibly small, especially at those speeds, with the bumper of a semi in front of him and a Big Blue Transit to his side. Plenty of time for him to make his calculations.
The logical choice has to be brake a little and fall in.....

Well, J.O. didn't fear death and must have shot the gap at 100 mph, WFO!
ACC did what it does and spilled my HUGE drink and gear all throughout the vehicle.
I was irate. I kept the J.O. in sight for a while, with intent to empty the tires of his vehicle after he parked.

I soon conceded that the 64 ounces of ice & water streaming across the vinyl floor and strewn moto gear were more pressing and pulled off. As I tidied up I thanked myself for taking the time to lash the footpegs to the floor as well!
Happy to hear that it all ended safely. I feel for ya. Sometimes, people suck.

·
Registered
2020 T350 EB AWD SRW HR EL
125 Posts
I understand both sides of this. Personally, I don’t like being behind big vehicles because I can’t see beyond them, it makes me a little uneasy. Maybe this has been mentioned, I’m not going to read all 40 posts about rules and regulations. 😴

21 - 40 of 86 Posts