Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help getting the stock battery out of my 2015. I assume the seat has to come all the way off the rails? It doesn't say that in the owners manual. Given that there is plastic piece behind the rail that is also nothing like the rail end caps it shows. I can not figure out how to get that thing off to I can remove the seat off the back of the rail.

I did 6 different searches for this. Not sure why nothing came up.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
The manual on my 2015 gives the impression that the seat (I have std. vinyl) can slide far enough forward... but, mine can not. The manual also shows the dual battery setup, which makes it not look right, as you're trying to figure it out.

Take the seat off. As I recall, taking off horizontal metal piece at rear lets you get the compartment top strap off, as you also undo the rear track bolts. Also, I think I had to unhook the seatbelt reminder sensor. Do the 2 front track bolts. Lift off and set the seat behind the passenger seat -- only the shoulder belt will be tethering the seat.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I need help getting the stock battery out of my 2015. I assume the seat has to come all the way off the rails? It doesn't say that in the owners manual. Given that there is plastic piece behind the rail that is also nothing like the rail end caps it shows. I can not figure out how to get that thing off to I can remove the seat off the back of the rail.

I did 6 different searches for this. Not sure why nothing came up.
The video shows you how to remove the battery without removing the seat:

https://cargovanconversion.com/projects/adding-amps-to-the-ccp

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Did it yesterday.

Push the seat all the way forward to remove the two back seat to pedestal bolts using a 13 mm socket. Next push the seat all the way to the rear and remove the front two bolts. I have manual seat adjustment so only one wire to the seat bottom. Did not disconnect that. Moved seat out of the way enough to remove the two small bolts (8mm socket?) at the back of the pedestal that hold down the battery cover. Remove the cover. I then moved the seat over and partially on top of the passenger seat being careful not to stretch the wiring. Lowered the emergency brake handle to make it easier to move the seat.

I installed the ring connector cable for a "Battery Tender" .75 amp charger. Will use 120 volt AC from house inverter to charge the vehicle battery. The positive and negative battery post clamps have an unused stud to connect the charger ring terminals. The plug end was routed toward the emergency brake. In my case the seat rails do not sit directly on top of the pedestal. I raised the seat 13/16" using spacers between the seat and the pedestal to improve the driving position. I can get the cable out below the seat rails and above the pedestal in the gap created by the spacers.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
I removed the 4 bolts as described above, and simply picked the seat up and moved if forward, leaning on the steering wheel. I didn't need to disconnect the wiring to the seat, but I did have to pop out the rubber grommet that holds it to the frame around the battery. It's about a two minute task.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are there any bad implications when removing the battery (I have a single battery 2018 transit 250) on this van? Like will I have to send it to a dealer(as happened to a friend with a Toyota Sienna) to get some of the functions to work. My van has few options on it--just air and keyless entry.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Are there any bad implications when removing the battery (I have a single battery 2018 transit 250) on this van?
None that I've experienced the few times I have.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
My starter battery died a few weeks after picking up the used van. I just slid the seat forward and swapped it out. It was a bit of a juggling act, but wasn't too bad really. Getting the covers off and cables out of the way was the most time-consuming part as I recall.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have to switch the radio from AM back to FM every time but I think that is it. It even remembers my stored stations. Not that I use the radio much.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
I've had the battery disconnected several times and there were no big issues. You'll have to reprogram your radio stations.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts