Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna have 1 agm house battery. I bought it 6 months ago. I'm thinking of using
2 battery's, 1 inverter - no solar
The question - Is one older not used battery & 1 new battery gonna be the same?
or should I just go buy 2 at same time?

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
General consensus is to have two identical batteries of the same age for optimum performance and longevity.
That doesn't mean having an old and a new battery won't work, or even having batteries of different size and age, but the battery bank will last longer if they are as identical as possible. Some people even test the new batteries to make sure the specs are as close as possible.

If it's about financial efficiency, if you already own one battery, then the reduced lifespan of your system by adding a new battery probably won't eclipse the expense of buying two new batteries. You'll probably trade in your van before the mixed battery bank goes bad.

Purists may disagree.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I would say that the only way to know the answer is to try it and monitor both batteries. I do not believe that anyone can answer your question. They can only guess.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
According to Lifeline, at least for their batteries, it is a non issue.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'm sure this will be a heavy debate, I'll Get in early. Just add the same battery and carry on with life. I work on boats, with huge 8D batteries. I promise if one looses a cell we rarely think about about changing the other 1, or 10, that might be in that battery bank. And i have had AGM's that are properly charged last 10 plus years....just saying.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Copy, What is the preferred brand of inverter?

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
895 Posts
Years ago... when adding two more Lifeline AGM batteries to the first one... found references that talked about the differences in charging of an older versus newer battery - that the charger would "see" the blend of the two and thus not treat either exactly as they should. In theory, I think this is similar to why the various cabling strategies (even in parallel) are used - equal lengths of heavy gauge to keep voltage as matched as possible and all that. But... AGM being what it is... equalized the old one a few times and added the new and seemed like they were happy for years - still going strong now. But they /were/ the same 8D each... not different models / sizes / whatever.

Inverters... yeah... that's a topic. There's a WIDE range of price options. That Will Prowse dude sure /seems/ legit in his reviews and recommendations: Mobile Solar Power: Made Easy! DIY Off-grid Solar Power!

My old rig was Magnum - high-end compared to lots of options today. New rig is Victron - same high-end sorta stuff. But I'm also using a Giandel unit per Prowse' recommendation and it's served me and two friends well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts