Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Battery is dead after not being driven for 2 weeks

926 43
Hi when my 2022 ford transit 250sits for more then 2 weeks and I go to start it my battery is stone cold dead is this a warranty issue or something they can’t seem to rectify
Thanks Brenda
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
I've wondered about this. Does running the vehicle (at idle) for 10 minutes put back in more energy than it took to start it? I have no evidence but doubt it.
works for me.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Single battery? I have duals on my 2021 and can go weeks and weeks sitting there. There is never any laggy feeling or sound upon the eventual startup. My guess is your battery is wonky. Even a single should last two weeks.
As an addendum to my post I should say I always lock my van when I’m done driving or working on it. Does this save the batteries from discharge?

·
Registered
2019 Transit cargo, HR, 3.5 Eco, Quigley 4X4, “Vandemic”
257 Posts
Thanks @Scalf77 for piping up. Your issue was somewhat unique, but it points out that the constant draw on the batteries should be addressed by all Transit owners. If you drive it everyday, no issues. If you let it sit for more than 2-3 weeks, the battery save mode will go into effect and you have to use the key (the fob will be inactive) to open the doors and start the van. After the van sits for 2 weeks, I either attach the batteries to a trickle charger or pop on a portable solar charger (as per @surly Bill) to keep the batteries topped up.

·
Registered
222 Posts
House batteries in line with starter battery for alternator (off ccp) & shore power charging (tender). Need to add solar to the mix. Jump pack always plugged in to keep at 100%.
It's become a way of life <sigh>

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
1,366 Posts
It is so strange, but my 2016 does not have this problem. I just started mine last week after 3 months. The starter might have sounded a little sluggish but it fired right up so it was hard to tell. Original battery as far as I know. Mine is the lowest base model, maybe that is it?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
When my battery falls bellow 12 volts it wont even try to start, No solenoid click no is nothing. It is like the computer will not let it start. Of course now this is a single sealed lead acid battery, Standard equipment on base model transit's.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
It is so strange, but my 2016 does not have this problem. I just started mine last week after 3 months. The starter might have sounded a little sluggish but it fired right up so it was hard to tell. Original battery as far as I know. Mine is the lowest base model, maybe that is it?
Mine is also base model. I've messed around with the starting batteries a few times over the years after the stock one failed after just two.
I replaced with the correct H6 single, I've used a spare H8 from my old Sprinter, I've installed dual batteries (replacement battery was getting tired, swapped it for ANOTHER new H6, hooked up the old one to the desulfator and then installed as dual batteries when it was revived). Currently just running a single H6.

The H8 and duals seemed to prolong the parking time, but I never did a test. I always keep one of the gel batteries in the van that I use as coach batteries when camping , just in case the starting battery won't do it's job. I'm still skeptical of the cost/benefit of a capacitor jumpstarter.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Any parasitic drain that kills a battery in two weeks is unacceptable and should not be tolerated. Immediately take that van back and make the dealer fix the issue. However, if they fail to fix the issue, simply wire in a 12V kill switch and shut it off anytime the van is parked for weeks on end. If the vans computers need constant voltage to maintain memory, then your other option is a low watt solar panel, However this means a new level of PITA. Phils parallel battery solution is also a good fix. On my dodge, should I have a dead starter battery, I can press a button on my house battery relay switch and the two are connected, thus using the house battery to start the truck.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Ford knows about this problem, That is why Transport Mode is built into every vehicle.
Transport Mode is a battery saver mode to get the transit from the factory to the dealers lot
Transport mode turns off after the first 40 miles driven and it can not be turned back on later.
This is the best description I have found.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Any parasitic drain that kills a battery in two weeks is unacceptable and should not be tolerated. Immediately take that van back and make the dealer fix the issue. However, if they fail to fix the issue, simply wire in a 12V kill switch and shut it off anytime the van is parked for weeks on end. If the vans computers need constant voltage to maintain memory, then your other option is a low watt solar panel, However this means a new level of PITA. Phils parallel battery solution is also a good fix. On my dodge, should I have a dead starter battery, I can press a button on my house battery relay switch and the two are connected, thus using the house battery to start the truck.
Ford won't fix anything and a kill switch wouldn't work for me, I need it alarmed for the thousands $$$ I have in tools.

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
1,366 Posts
Ford won't fix anything and a kill switch wouldn't work for me, I need it alarmed for the thousands $$$ I have in tools.
Then a solar panel and trickle charger if you park outside and a shore power cord and trickle charger if you are inside.

Nonetheless, I would find out how much the drain is and see if it meets spec. It is a little tricky, you need to have a jumper connected before pulling the battery cable, get a meter in parallel, then disconnect the jumper. This leaves everything powered up and allows you measure the current.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Then a solar panel and trickle charger if you park outside and a shore power cord and trickle charger if you are inside.

Nonetheless, I would find out how much the drain is and see if it meets spec. It is a little tricky, you need to have a jumper connected before pulling the battery cable, get a meter in parallel, then disconnect the jumper. This leaves everything powered up and allows you measure the current.
Won't fit in a normal garage at 10'5" height. I use a trickle charger as needed. Not interested in finding the drain I have Dronemobile, remote start and alarm.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Here is a graph of starter battery (Dual AGM) for the last 8 days. I drove it it on Sunday about 5 days later the 25th the Fordpass(TM) Connect were disabled to preserve battery. I have the amp research power step controller and a small Victron solar controller(panel disabled) hooked to the starter battery.

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Circle

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is this battery draining problem present in all late model Transit Vans? I have a van on order and now I am thinking about canceling it due to this battery problem. I do not need a $50,000+ lump of dead yard art in my driveway every time I want to go somewhere. I start my current rig about every two weeks and drive it on trips only three times per year, work allowing. This van may not be a good fit.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Again, anyone who's going to park their van for more than 3 days at a time should get a battery tender. Either 120vac plug-in, or a 5-10w solar module that sits on your dash. I don't know if those $20 2w maintainers will work, I'd go with 5+ watts.

TIP: the 12v socket in the dash disconnects after a countdown, so don't plug the maintainer into THAT. Find a circuit that is always connected to the battery and tap into it, or just run directly to the battery.
Automotive lighting Output device Input device Electronic instrument Gadget

Reactions: Robert Sanges

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Is this battery draining problem present in all late model Transit Vans? I have a van on order and now I am thinking about canceling it due to this battery problem. I do not need a $50,000+ lump of dead yard art in my driveway every time I want to go somewhere. I start my current rig about every two weeks and drive it on trips only three times per year, work allowing. This van may not be a good fit.
I've never had a no start problem with my 2020 after sitting for 2-4 weeks. I have all of Ford's telemetry settings shut off. Not sure if that is the reason. Also when I remember, I will shut off the auto stop/start for a while at the end of a drive to hopefully get a higher SOC before parking. @surly Bill's suggestion is a good simple solution. (I should probably do that to prolong battery life?)

·
Registered
2022 W2X 350 HR AWD EB in Blue Jean Metallic built out by Paradigm Van Conversions.
262 Posts
My 2022 with dual batteries has sat for 2-4 weeks at a time and has never struggled to start. I have the Ford automatic downloads and all of the other options turned on all of the time. I also keep on the auto stop function and sometimes only drive it 5 miles between it sitting for weeks with no worries or issues.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts