Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Battery is dead after not being driven for 2 weeks

1415 62
Hi when my 2022 ford transit 250sits for more then 2 weeks and I go to start it my battery is stone cold dead is this a warranty issue or something they can’t seem to rectify
Thanks Brenda
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
4,425 Posts
Two weeks seems a little short... but it is common to have more draw while parked than it seems like there should be. Dealer service should be able to do a load battery test - takes a long time, I think - to see if the battery itself is at fault.

· Registered
5,012 Posts
No, That is common. Many things in the van never shut off, This has been going on since the 2015 model. You either need to put it on a battery charger or drive it every week.
I can go about three weeks without driving it but my 2016 is almost completely stock without any options.

· Registered
805 Posts
Single battery? I have duals on my 2021 and can go weeks and weeks sitting there. There is never any laggy feeling or sound upon the eventual startup. My guess is your battery is wonky. Even a single should last two weeks.

· Registered
2019 250 148 mr
913 Posts
My 2019 is the same. The dealer is likely to be useless as the factory mechanics aren't trained to troubleshoot, just to replace parts. I took mine to the dealer and they replaced the battery, even though I told them the battery was new and tested fine. They said their test declared the battery as shot. Charged me $200.

Took the battery to NAPA, several other auto parts stores, a Batteries Plus store, and tested it myself on my Snap On battery tester. All test said the old battery was good.

Took all these tests back to the dealer and told them to take their new battery out, put my old one back in and give me my money back. Took them 2 weeks, several phone calls, and 2 trips back to the dealer to get my refund.

Clearly, the computers are not going to sleep at night, but the dealer was unwilling and/or unable to test it. I installed a battery charger to my shore power hookup and simply plug it in if it won't be driven for a week or so.

I'm considering getting a 100w flexible solar panel on the roof as well, just in case I'm somewhere where there's no shore power.

I have portable panels for camping (I like to park in the shade) and my solar controller trickle charges the starting battery after the house battery is full. So there's no problem with extended camping.

Lots of people have had this problem. Some people said thier headlights were coming on at night when the van was parked. I've noticed my interior lights on, and I've also witnessed my tailights flash very quickly when no one is in or has been in the van. So my theory is it's the bcm thinking too much.

· Registered
9,912 Posts
Sounds about right. Nothing to be alarmed about. This is normal.

As mentioned above, get a battery tender or little 10w solar tender and you should be fine.

· Registered
340 Posts
Even a single should last two weeks.
No, mine probably wouldn't last a week I put it on a trickle charger if I think it will sit for 4 days. It will crap the battery if you let it drain frequently. I found this out when I was working on my home it sat for about a month, battery was bad. I'm on my 3rd since 2019 this one is fine since I put a charger on it. I won't mess with a dealer for a battery cost me more in time and hassle then to replace it myself. I'm a contractor so I either need it or it may sit at times.

I have Dronemobile, remote start and alarm which certainly doesn't help.

· Registered
2015 MR Transit Wagon 350 XLT 148" Ecoboost
61 Posts
Fact of life with a Transit. I have a 2015 Wagon Ecoboost and EVERY time I let it sit the battery is dead. In 7 years I am about to buy the 4th battery. I have read posts that even those with the dual batteries have issues especially if you open the doors a lot. I work a lot in my van or use it with doors open for ventilation for my dogs and it is a royal pain not to be able to trust my battery and I sure can't use the 12 V auxiliaries for anything, besides they shut off at about 30 minutes anyway. This was high on my list of what I DIDN'T like about my Transit. I did get a warranty discount the first time it happened after the dealership deemed the battery OK and then it wouldn't start the very next day after I had driven it far enough to build back up.

· Registered
2022 W2X 350 HR AWD EB in Blue Jean Metallic built out by Paradigm Van Conversions.
266 Posts
Single battery? I have duals on my 2021 and can go weeks and weeks sitting there. There is never any laggy feeling or sound upon the eventual startup. My guess is your battery is wonky. Even a single should last two weeks.
This is the same as me. My dual battery can sit for weeks without issue. I do get the notification in the Ford app that it is going to sleep but it always starts right up. It's been good both before and after the build out.

· Registered
58 Posts
My 2021 cargo single-battery (no CCP2) sits for 3-4 weeks and always starts
on the first crank. I removed the cargo lights and disconnected the shark-fin
antenna early in my build. Perhaps that helps or that I have no options
other than windows all around and power seats?

Hood Automotive design Car Vehicle Automotive exterior

· Registered
2019 Transit cargo, HR, 3.5 Eco, Quigley 4X4, “Vandemic”
258 Posts
Here is a thread from the Sportsmobile Forum describing the issue with parasitic current from Transits. The author @Scalf77 had gone through an extensive, technical evaluation of his dead battery issues tracing them back to the PCM and eventually the BCM modules. @Scalf77 is a member of this forum. Hope he’ll chime in with his thoughts on the subject.

· Registered
2021 Transit 148 HR
397 Posts
I have the dual batteries on a 2021. I can leave it for a month without starting it and not have any issues. From my perspective, not being able to start a vehicle after sitting a week or two would be extremely frustrating.

· Registered
6,224 Posts
My 2020 van with dual batteries sits many times for more than 2 weeks and I have never had a no start.
I do have all of the settings for the Ford telemetry/spyware shut off (at least the ones that are accessibleo_O).
Whether there is a correlation or I got good batteries or a combination, I have no clue since I never turned that stuff on to see if it would cause a problem. I can say after the van sits for a while, the auto-stop will not engage for quite some time driving, so there is definitely some discharge when it sits.

· Registered
111 Posts
So I had the "headlight issue" . When the weather got cold the headlights would turn themselves on, and thus drain the battery until death. If I didn't ketch them on, and they drained , it was a pain in the a## as you would have to wait a while when jumpstarting. I went through three sets of batteries in two years. To be clear there was a higher then normal draw without the lights coming on. For me the problem did not show up until the cold weather set in. I would suspect a crack or bad solder joint on the BCM as the tech narrowed it down to a connector.
Dead battery issues on all Ford Transit

Here is the technicians report from Ford.
Vehicle battery found to be discharged and will not jump start. Removed driver seat to access batteries. Found vehicle equipped with dual AGM replacement batteries. Removed batteries and tested with Midtronics Rotunda Battery Tester. Both batteries failed with DTC codes 304QF1940Q0C and 304QBLD46S0C. Replaced Batteries. Ran Oasis and found Batteries and Concern have been ongoing issue that two other dealers attempted to repair. Verified Headlights Randomly came on with keys out when running OASIS report. KOEO Self-Test Found multiple DTC’s. Due to batteries being drained performed battery draw test. Draw found to fluctuate between 1.011 amps and 0.064 amps randomly. When headlights come on draw exceeds 10 amps. Wiring Schematics show headlights controlled by BCM. Draw found to drop to .017 when C2280A is wiggled. Disconnected C2280A and inspected for corrosion or moisture, none present. Performed Pin Drag test, no fitment problems found. Fully seated connector and performed draw test again. Concern still present. Recommend replacing the BCM then testing for proper operation. Removed and replaced BCM using PMI procedure through FDRS. Programmed Keys and TPMS Sensors. Performed draw test. Draw found to be 0.006 Amps at rest, well within specifications. Wiggled C2280A and Verified Draw does not change. Headlight no longer randomly coming on. Installed seat and cleared DTC’s. Customer’s concern caused by faulty Body Control Module.

I don't have a lot of faith in Ford's ability to diagnose the battery as being bad, but they were all under warranty, and had all been discharged very low at least once. If you are taking it in for possible issues make sure you remove any connections to the CCP's or for that matter anything now Ford. They will just use it as an excuse for your problem and send you away. So if the battery draw test is high, and they see something attached it will get the blame

In my case I was very lucky that the last time I took it in we had a pretty good cold spell for the Portland area, so the problem was pretty reproducible. The tech was lucky enough to catch the head lights come on by themselves, this was after he put the 4th set of batteries in. That was fixed last December, so we had plenty of remaining cold weather for the year, and some for this year also. I haven't had any issues after the BCM was replaced. I monitor the start battery with the secondary battery connection on a Victron Smart Shunt, I have an "alarm" set up in the Cerbo VRM to notify me if the starter battery voltage is getting to low. In that case I can either charge it via shore power, solar, or start it up and drive it.

if you have the spyware or Ford Pass, it will tell you when it is shutting things down because the battery is going low. I haven't even see that message in a long time. I haven't let it set idle for a long time in awhile. But I would be comfortable letting it sit a couple of weeks.

· Registered
5,012 Posts
Yep, There are about a dozen long running transit forum threads about this, It only seems to effect some people through out all of the model years.
I have this problem yet my original transit single battery lasted five years before needing replacement.

· Registered
9,912 Posts
The poor man's solution is to start up the van and let it idle for 5-10 minutes once every few days.
I needed to jumpstart when I parked my van for several days at a time while I exclusively drove the EV during the highest gas prices. This had happened before when I was out of town for several days. I almost always drive the van every day, so the issue rarely pops up for me. The latest incident reminded me to start it up every 2-3 days if I'm not driving it.

Reactions: Sams stock van

· Registered
2022 T150 Cargo AWD SWB LR (Service Van w/ Adrian Steel Upfit)
37 Posts
The poor man's solution is to start up the van and let it idle for 5-10 minutes once every few days.
I needed to jumpstart when I parked my van for several days at a time while I exclusively drove the EV during the highest gas prices. This had happened before when I was out of town for several days. I almost always drive the van every day, so the issue rarely pops up for me. The latest incident reminded me to start it up every 2-3 days if I'm not driving it.
I've wondered about this. Does running the vehicle (at idle) for 10 minutes put back in more energy than it took to start it? I have no evidence but doubt it.

· Registered
6,224 Posts
I've wondered about this. Does running the vehicle (at idle) for 10 minutes put back in more energy than it took to start it? I have no evidence but doubt it.
HMM, interesting question. S.W.A.G. here using some (conservative?) assumptions:
IIRC the batteries have a CA of around 900 and say the starter runs for a few seconds (at most) call it 3 sec = 0.05 min
The alternator puts out somewhere around 90A (??) at idle. Deducting the 60A(??) that the vehicle uses to run leaves 30A left to charge.
0.05 min x 900 = 45 amp-min to start the van = 0.75a-hr in familiar units
10 min x 30 A = 300 amp min charge on battery = 5 a-hr in familiar units

I'd bet the issue is probably not that simple. Could it have more to do with voltage drop vs rise which might not be linear or correspond equally in both direction? Starting SOC% might also have an impact, etc, etc
Maybe one of the members with good electrical knowledge and fancy battery monitoring has at some empirical data.

As mentioned I have not had any problems with my van sitting for weeks at a time quite often. I do have a little 5A charger that I have thrown on a couple of times when the van has been sitting for a long period and I've gotten a dash warning when working on it with the lights and radio on for a while. I'd rather pull out an extension cord than idle the van needlessly.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts