Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the battery in my motorcycle today. The original Suzuki battery from 2003 lasted 15 years, it was still cranking when I pulled it out. However it was just cranking slow, and couldn't do back to back to back to back starts in the texas heat.

Pretty wild that little guy lasted that long eh?

Anywhoo - just thought I'd share. It's a good omen for my Crown 6 volts house batteries in my van. I hope to have those puppies lasting 10 years at a minimum. I would be willing to bet they can go 15.

I'm curious how long the new fangled tech will last!

A lot of guys switch to lithium batteries in their motorcycles, only to find it won't start on cold mornings unless they allow current to flow through the battery and warm it up first. lol!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just replaced the battery in my motorcycle today. The original Suzuki battery from 2003 lasted 15 years, it was still cranking when I pulled it out. However it was just cranking slow, and couldn't do back to back to back to back starts in the texas heat.

Pretty wild that little guy lasted that long eh?
Yes, that is wild. You've owned an '03 Gixxer 1000 for 15 years? I remember those- they were pretty good bikes.

Are you a rider?

I'm curious how long the new fangled tech will last!

A lot of guys switch to lithium batteries in their motorcycles, only to find it won't start on cold mornings unless they allow current to flow through the battery and warm it up first. lol!
When I purchased MV Agusta F3 800 new three years ago, I immediately installed a Shorai lithium battery. It cranks very strongly.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that is wild. You've owned an '03 Gixxer 1000 for 15 years? I remember those- they were pretty good bikes.

Are you a rider?

When I purchased MV Agusta F3 800 new three years ago, I immediately installed a Shorai lithium battery. It cranks very strongly.
I've heard good things about those batteries especially the weight savings. People in cold climates of course hate them though. Back when I was working at an office I commute every day no matter the temp unless it was going to snow of course. I did ride home while snowing once, a little fishy. Colorado weather can catch you.

Yes. I sure am, I started riding when I was 15 years old. My first bike as a FZR600, and then in 1998 I traded that in for a used 96 GSXR 750, which was a dream bike. So amazing. Then I had scores of other GSXR 750s, FZ1, CBR954RR, Several GSXR1000 K1 and K3s, KTM 530.

The 2003/2004 GSXR 1000 is my favorite bike. I found my current one used from a Korean gentleman who bought it new and only put 4000 miles on it. He never replaced the battery, he had it on a tender every now and then he told me. I'm around 13,000 miles on it now. I crashed it at the track not too long ago... It came out pretty alright from that lowside.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yes. I sure am, I started riding when I was 15 years old. My first bike as a FZR600, and then in 1998 I traded that in for a used 96 GSXR 750, which was a dream bike. So amazing. Then I had scores of other GSXR 750s, FZ1, CBR954RR, Several GSXR1000 K1 and K3s, KTM 530.

The 2003/2004 GSXR 1000 is my favorite bike. I found my current one used from a Korean gentleman who bought it new and only put 4000 miles on it. He never replaced the battery, he had it on a tender every now and then he told me. I'm around 13,000 miles on it now. I crashed it at the track not too long ago... It came out pretty alright from that lowside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_xNcKhIWq0
Yeah, that didn't look too bad. A little used e-bay plastic, a $10 clutch lever, and a left rearset I'm guessing...

I'm not familiar with High Plains Raceway- what track day organization do you do your track days with, and what group do you ride in? Do you race also?

At an altitude of 5,000 feet, a 2003 Gixxer 1000 is probably making around 125 horsepower (basically what a 750 makes at sea level). Have you ridden an open-class motorcycle at sea level? There's a whole lot more oxygen molecules available to make horsepower with. :D

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that didn't look too bad. A little used e-bay plastic, a $10 clutch lever, and a left rearset I'm guessing...

I'm not familiar with High Plains Raceway- what track day organization do you do your track days with, and what group do you ride in? Do you race also?

At an altitude of 5,000 feet, a 2003 Gixxer 1000 is probably making around 125 horsepower (basically what a 750 makes at sea level). Have you ridden an open-class motorcycle at sea level? There's a whole lot more oxygen molecules available to make horsepower with. :D
I love that track. Decent elevation changes and it's just fun as heck. The stock plastic barely took any scratches at all, the levers were all fine. The only real damage was a cracked crankcase cover which I replaced with a used NRS cover. Which I should have had those covers on it in the first place if I was going to track it. I honestly didn't think I was gonna crash! lol, but guess what, you start filming and tryhard... and that's what happens :)

That one is just the HPR open track day, really fun and lax event. I raced cars there and at other tracks with NASA in the CMC class.

The 1000K3 makes 165 crank at sea level and most people account a 15% loss at that altitude. I am from TX and so most of my moto experience is at sea level. needlesss to say I was a little taken aback that it only power wheelies in first gear. I really thought maybe I got a weak one, but was ok with it because it's still plenty. Just a couple weeks ago after finishing our 5 month stint, I trailer'd it down to TX to store at my brothers house, and was just blown away at the difference. Power wheelies in 2nd and 3rd gear just like I remembered from back in the day. Super fun.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My VFR - lithium battery going on 6 yrs and all's well
RSV1000 - lithium battery, low use though
R6 - lithium battery, also low use as this girl is track only

Point being, these batteries have served me well. We (AL) don't get cold weather to speak of, just now/then. If you know when you need to turn the key and wait for a bit, then it's not a big deal.

Nobody thinks they're going to crash :laugh: (been there a few times).

ACE

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well 15 years out of the stock FLA battery was good for me. I replaced it with another FLA for $70 because if I get another 10 years from that then, I won't mind the extra couple pounds of weight since I am a garbage at the track anyway haha :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
I love that track. Decent elevation changes and it's just fun as heck. The stock plastic barely took any scratches at all, the levers were all fine. The only real damage was a cracked crankcase cover which I replaced with a used NRS cover. Which I should have had those covers on it in the first place if I was going to track it. I honestly didn't think I was gonna crash! lol, but guess what, you start filming and tryhard... and that's what happens :)

That one is just the HPR open track day, really fun and lax event. I raced cars there and at other tracks with NASA in the CMC class.

The 1000K3 makes 165 crank at sea level and most people account a 15% loss at that altitude. I am from TX and so most of my moto experience is at sea level. needlesss to say I was a little taken aback that it only power wheelies in first gear. I really thought maybe I got a weak one, but was ok with it because it's still plenty. Just a couple weeks ago after finishing our 5 month stint, I trailer'd it down to TX to store at my brothers house, and was just blown away at the difference. Power wheelies in 2nd and 3rd gear just like I remembered from back in the day. Super fun.
Yup. I was trying to figure out why the front of your bike wasn't coming up when the throttle was open in the lower gears, so I looked up High Plains Raceway and saw that it's at about a fricking mile of altitude.

I have raced in Open Supersport and Open Superbike (at sea level) as well as instructing. I love to ride, and the MV Agusta F3 800 has been an absolutely amazing motorcycle- it is sex on wheels.

·
Registered
53 Posts
NP. I'm not advocating that one should go out and spend the $$$ for a lithium unit, just saying I've had good experience with them myself. But just in terms of slightly less muss/fuss, would not an AGM (comparably low cost) have served better? It's moot now, you have your battery.

I really wanted a GSXR-750 when I decided to replace my RSV for track use. But folks put a premium price on them. So I got an R6 track ho that had already been beat up, and have been very happy with her. Ride safe.

ACE

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2008 R6S has been one of my favorite bikes. I wish I had kept it.

Augusta sure are exotic! I'd love to try on eout sometime. Racing motorcycles is heavy stuff, props.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Augusta sure are exotic! I'd love to try on eout sometime. Racing motorcycles is heavy stuff, props.
MV Agusta is the most Italian company I have ever dealt with. They make Ducati seem like Honda.

There doesn't seem to be a short version to this story, so here goes: My young wife and I have done two epic bucket-list month-long tours of Europe.

One trip was England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and two weeks on the Isle of Man for the TT races, with a Ducati rental bike.

The other trip was Paris France, to Rome Italy, to Munich Germany for Oktoberfest, then we went to the BMW factory to pick up the F22 Track Pack that I had let her custom-order. Then we did five countries in five hours- Germany, Liechtenstein, Austria, over the Swiss Alps, and into Northern Italy, where we toured MV Agusta, Ducati, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, and Pagani on our way to Venice, then looping back up through Germany to go max her new car out on the German Autobahns and to drive it at triple-digit speeds on the track that the Track Pack was designed for- the Nurburgring.

Almost everything we did, went exactly to plan. Except for our visit to MV Agusta. We had e-mailed them back and forth to set up a tour of the factory, which is located on the shores of Lake Varese. When we arrived, they told us that their response to our e-mail was only an acknowledgement of our request, not an agreement to give us a tour. We eventually were able to get our tour, but that's just how Italians are- they are passionate, disorganized, and don't care what anyone else thinks:

·
Registered
244 Posts
What other motorcycle company makes a video advertisement like this, especially with the unexpected plot twist at the end?

(DISCLAIMER- It's a little "racy", but there is no outright nudity)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NP. I'm not advocating that one should go out and spend the $$$ for a lithium unit, just saying I've had good experience with them myself. But just in terms of slightly less muss/fuss, would not an AGM (comparably low cost) have served better? It's moot now, you have your battery.

I really wanted a GSXR-750 when I decided to replace my RSV for track use. But folks put a premium price on them. So I got an R6 track ho that had already been beat up, and have been very happy with her. Ride safe.

ACE
To me, AGM just doesn't last as long. FLA is the most cost efficient battery technology that exists, long term factors considered. I don't see the mess. It came with these four syringe things and you dump thee electrolyte in there and it was kinda fun. Knowing I can maintain the battery is, a perk for me.

·
Registered
244 Posts
To me, AGM just doesn't last as long. FLA is the most cost efficient battery technology that exists, long term factors considered. I don't see the mess. It came with these four syringe things and you dump thee electrolyte in there and it was kinda fun. Knowing I can maintain the battery is, a perk for me.
I think the part about riding that would surprise most non-riders (and that includes the vast majority of motorcycle owners that are not actual riders) would be how much a pair of tier-1 tires costs, versus how long they last when actually riding at anything above an intermediate track day pace on anything with more than two cylinders and 400cc.

I am a Pirelli rider, and I feel like I'm doing good if I can get an entire day out of a $600 pair of tires.

It cracks me up when I hear non-riders talk about trying to save money by riding a motorcycle- if I ride like a grownup on the street, I go through two pairs of $600 street tires (actual street-compound tires, not DOT-legal race tires) between 3,000 oil changes. You can easily make the payments on a brand-new BMW for what it costs just to keep top-quality tires on anything more than a middleweight motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haha yeah. Well, that's still less expensive than racing cars.
I dunno about that- I made money racing cars. Not always, and not a lot, but I did make money.
Huh. That's awesome. I did not, I spent $12,000 for my CMC racecar and 24 foot vnose trailer. I spent $7000 my first season in tires, parts, and fuel. Toyo sponsored it, and you could win a set of race tires at the end of the season if you won the points. A few guys had very low level sponsors.

Of course if I had a family with money who started me carting when I was young maybe I could have had a chance or if I was a better driver perhaps.

Did you get hired by a race team?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I’ve had the same Shorai lithium in my dirt bike since 2/2012. Still cranking strong today. I stored it inside during the long northern Illinois winters. Luckily with a dirt bike you’d just use the kicker for the first start on a cold day. For enduro racing the premium price was worth the couple pounds weight saved. Not so much for just those two pounds. But you add a few other after market parts for racing so it’s nice to get a couple of those pounds back.

BTW its cool you got so many years out of the GSXR battery. It’s always nice to get more than you paid for once in awhile.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yes, the "magic button" is great on dirt bikes. When our daughter was little, we bought her a Yamaha TTR90E. It was so nice not to have to hoof it across a dirt field to poke that thing to get it to go for her again when she fell down. When she was a little older, we got her a Kawasaki KX65, but all you had to do was breathe on that thing to get it to go.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts