Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Bamboo Ply Cabinets

2012 Views 28 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Dotar
Who here has used bamboo ply for their cabinets? I am going to use bamboo plywood from calibamboo and I was hoping to get some first hand experience. I am building a kitchen galley (42 inch wide), a separate fridge cabinet (20 inch wide), and some upper cabinets. I am not planning on using aluminum extrusion

So far I have only built cabinets with 3/4 inch ply but due to the high strength and density of bamboo I am wondering if I could get away with using 1/2 plywood for all the cabinets. Has anyone here had experience with this? I'd love to know your thoughts!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of the nicest DIY conversions I’ve ever seen was done with bamboo ply. He has had zero issues with it after more than five years.
Nice! Do you know if he used mostly 1/2 inch? I have never loved doing cabinetry in 1/2 inch but the bamboo is really strong and I’m trying to save a little weight

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We are experimenting with a fresh-cut set of 1/2" Bamboo Ply cabinets in the shop over the past few weeks. We've assembled them and finished them with a polyurethane coat and they seem solid, if not quite as solid as our usual 1/2" Baltic Birch. We haven't hung them up yet.
I wonder why they wouldn’t be quite as solid as birch. The ply is even denser I believe. Do you pocketscrew everything?

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The real question is if anyone successfully sourced plyboo or similar in their area or internet? I had no luck in Denver but as a hobbyist I have no retail buying power.
(Edited: or better yet I will just buy the kit from Matt^^^)
I can get it shipped by cali bamboo but it definitely isn’t cheap

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've used 1/2" bamboo ply for cabinet ends (attached to 80/20) in the past.

It was fine but I'd be careful with your choice of sealant. I found that the bamboo ply was much more susceptible to drying out and bowing with extreme temperature changes when compared to 1/2" or even 1/4" Baltic birch. We're in the mountains so we can have a 30 degree night and a 70 degree day quite often.

I wouldn't recommend using 1/2" bamboo ply for larger pieces but it was fine for smaller trim when it can be attached in multiple spots.
Interesting, I will need to make sure its good and sealed then. Do you have a recommended sealant. This talk about warping is making me think 3/4 for the cabinets might be simpler...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts