Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody knows if I’m replacing my cluster with a used one Do I have to reprogram the cluster or should it work just like plug and play deal? I know is the same Part #. Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
63 Posts
When Ford replaced mine they wanted my current mileage and that was it (I'm assuming they updated the mileage on the new cluster). Not sure what your issue is, but a new cluster did not solve my issues (still dealing with it almost 15 months later)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 2018 transit 350. The cluster goes off and on. I have 86K miles on it. I’m out of warranty So I was lucky to find one on eBay and Im going to replace it. Hope that’s all the issue with it. Is been 2yrs and this van hasn’t been what I was expecting

·
Registered
83 Posts
Should be plug and play, might need to modify some of the configuration data in the cluster to get some of the functionality to work if your vehicle was not equipped the same as the ebay cluster, this can be done with FORScan. The mileage will not be correct and the cluster should have some sort of a light or indicator that the mileage was does not match what is saved in other modules but I am not sure about this. If you want the mileage to match the true mileage of the vehicle you will need to send the cluster to a place that can adjust it, they will only be able to roll the mileage forward and not back so make sure that the cluster from ebay has less miles than your vehicle

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 2018 transit 350. The cluster goes off and on. I have 86K miles on it. I’m out of warranty So I was lucky to find one on eBay and Im going to replace it. Hope that’s all the issue with it. Is been 2yrs and this van hasn’t been what I was expecting
when you say off and on, do you mean like this?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes that’s exactly what my cluster does. My transit 350 has 86,000 miles
I'm on my second cluster and it still does this, lately I've noticed a correlation to whether or not I'm running the AC. If AC is on and vents are set to defrost no issues, but as soon as I set the vents to any other setting or turn the AC off, within 10 minutes the dash faults. The area above the radio in front of the infotainment screen gets very hot as well. Might be worthwhile checking to see whats causing yours to do this, would suck to replace the cluster and still have it happen (mines still under warranty)

Unfortunately due to Covid-19 I can't get my van into the dealership to have them look at it, but have been in constant contact with Ford Canada so hoping they have a plan once I can get it in.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
So, it is actually the cluster itself, or elec connections that power the cluster? I think I remember a thread where someone fixed this issue via replacing the power relay, or cleaning and drying the connection under the hood where the water drips on it from the windshield (had gotten corroded inside the connector).

·
Registered
63 Posts
So, it is actually the cluster itself, or elec connections that power the cluster? I think I remember a thread where someone fixed this issue via replacing the power relay, or cleaning and drying the connection under the hood where the water drips on it from the windshield (had gotten corroded inside the connector).
I'm gonna go with all of the above, the way it has been explained to me by the regional service manager is that the cluster runs on a fairly low voltage >5v so it doesn't take much of a 'surge' to fault it, whether it be a lose/corroded connection, faulty relay, slapping CanBus wire, or any other random electrical occurrence. Small voltage spike and down it goes, they are very interested in the relationship between the 'hot spot' above the radio and the faulting of my dash as the APIM is located on the bottom of the radio and that was actually a module that was considered at fault early on but was never replaced as per Ford Canada's instructions.

Sorry to the OP, didn't mean to hi-jack your thread, but if it was me I would look at other things before replacing the cluster especially if it is intermittent failure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The mileage will not be correct and the cluster should have some sort of a light or indicator that the mileage was does not match what is saved in other modules but I am not sure about this. If you want the mileage to match the true mileage of the vehicle you will need to send the cluster to a place that can adjust it, they will only be able to roll the mileage forward and not back so make sure that the cluster from ebay has less miles than your vehicle
I think I'll try to test this. I found an instrument cluster from another vehicle with very similar mileage, but a little bit less (~4k or so). Have you heard of any such place I could send it to to get the odometer to match mine?

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Maybe you can learn something about modern Odometers in this Story, The Links or the Comments.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts