Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a new van in the next week or so. Need an awning without drilling. Is that possible?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I plan on putting hooks on the roof rack mounting points and using a plain ol' canvas tarp with two poles with ropes and stakes on the outside corners.....
I plan to do similarly. Here's my idea.

- First I plan to use a lightweight but strong nylon tarp.

- The tarp will extend outward over the slider side of the van.

- On the opposite side of the van I will install eyebolts. The forward most eyebolt is not far enough to the front for my liking. The eyebolt holes be will facing to the front (or rear). I'll run metal tubing (probably sections of conduit) thru the eyebolt holes with a section extending beyond the front eyebolt, thereby having something further forward to attach the tarp to.

- The tarp will be stretched across the top of the van to the other side over the slider.

- I will use two stiff blocks of foam rubber of some kind, each in the shape of a long right triangle so that when the short bases of the triangles are against each other the two hypotenuses will form the shape of a roof gable. These are placed on the roof above the slider so that when the tarp is stretched across them it will cause a peaked ridge in the tarp thus preventing water from pooling in the stretched out tarp if it rains.

For now this is all theoretical but I expect it to be a nifty solution.

I created the peaked roof effect in a previous Econoline van I made into a camper and it worked great. I did it different way. That van had a fiberglass hightop that I screwed D-rings into in a pattern such that the middle D-ring was higher than the distal D-rings.

Reactions: klp

·
Registered
867 Posts
Yup, pretty similar to my plan.

I bought a 12x12 Kelty tarp and two poles last year. Still haven't set it up lol. My plan was to run a couple eye bolts then a suction mount for the front - as Buffy said the front rack mount isn't forward enough to cover the side door entry completely.

I will probably run from the door side of the van instead of going all the way across the width.

Question is - how loud are those eye bolts in the roof for wind noise? I spent a lot of time and $ making silence and don't want to reverse any of that.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Reactions: dirtnerd

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yup, all very similar and similarly practical. The huge advantage of a setup like this is that the awning is not up there all the time getting nice and moldy (they ALL do) and if it ever gets wind damaged or otherwise less pretty..... one trip to Home Depot and you're back in business. Heck, even change the color every so many years.

That said I will probably do the canvas tarp, paint some nice art on it and Scotch Guard it.

I was not aware that the forward roof mount is not all the way past the door. That's a no-no. Will have to figure something there.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Yup, pretty similar to my plan.

Question is - how loud are those eye bolts in the roof for wind noise? I spent a lot of time and $ making silence and don't want to reverse any of that.
I have had a set of eyebolts on the slider side from the beginning which I had originally planned to use as the place to attach the tarp. They have been soundless as much as I can tell.

·
Registered
189 Posts
if you want a factory one, carefree makes several sizes. to get the best bracket without having to modify the factory regular roof mount brackets you have to go through a winnebago dealer parts dept. they can order the awning and bracket. no one else can. the part number is #314015-01-01A which refers to milled alum. i am happy that i went this way since i am old, not good on ladders and like the ease of wind it out wind it in. anchoring is the most difficult.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Getting a new van in the next week or so. Need an awning without drilling. Is that possible?
Yes, if you want a decent awning that won't break the bank look at the offerings from ARB or CVT. I've had several and will again. For around $3-400 you can get one that is easy to deploy, easy to find replacement parts for (CVT anyway) and is relatively care free. It's mentioned above that all awnings get moldy. Not the case, they simply need care. You HAVE to dry them after use. It's very simple. As soon as there's a sunny day after a rainy or humid camping trip unzip the awning and roll it down letting it hang on the side of the van in the sun for an hour or so. Roll back up and stow and it will be bone dry and ready for the next trip. I've kept them for years on a couple camper vans.

The Transit has threaded mount points along the sides of the roof for racks and can easily be used to hold an awning, you'll just have to come up with a mount that will work. The big L-brackets that come with this style awning may be good enough, bolted to the roof, if you have no other rack.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yes, if you want a decent awning that won't break the bank look at the offerings from ARB or CVT.
Plus 1 on the ARB awnings...I've had this one through a Land Rover and an Econoline and I'm extending it (again ;-) for the transit...

Made some mods to it...sewed on "wings" to the awning itself that allow the walls I made to zip up to it in 15-20 mins and give us an 8x8 spare room...added zippered windows with screens and shades plus a "bathtub" type floor... Had to make a new storage bag for it to roll back into as the original is very form fitted...

Only drawback is it's not a "drive-a-way" design...we only put it up when we're not planning any side trips or if we have friends with us who have other transportation...For those "drive-a-way" situations we use a 10x10 canopy and a "standing room tent" for our spare room...

Attachments

Reactions: HDH

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
Our latest Transit towers allow for an extended 8020 crossbar that can be used to hold the awning. Here is an earlier layout with 8020 crossbars holding both solar panels and the awning:

http://www.impact3d.com/transit148HR_HD_tower_layout.pdf

Our customer used the HD towers for this at the time but our new 8020 towers will also allow for crossbars that extend out beyond the tower. We need to design a bracket to hold the front of the awning - a shorter awning would be better but won't cover all of the slider. Apparently it has worked out but they have asked for another bracket at the front for better support of the awning.

We also do offer Transit Roof-eye kits which can be used to secure tarps, etc. The roof eye studs can even be used to attach our towers so you get the best of both.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan.com

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Sweet Hein, thanks for chiming in! I'll be looking for some of those towers soon when I get all my rack/solar and all figured out. I prefer the longest CVT awning for it's black case and better construction than other copies I've seen. I have not owned an ARB but suspect they are a 'better' product as well.

If you really want cheap you can get these same types straight from China on Ebay, Amazon or like Alibaba etc. I bought a rebranded Smittybilt one and the quality was crap compared to CVT.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Keep it simple.

Just another picture of our set up (think i posted once,can not remember)
Spending most of our time here in the west desert we do not use it much
so found no reason to spend$$.
Just hooks on rail that supports solar, does the job.

Les,lqhikers

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
I haven't set it up yet, so no photos - but I bought "kayak tie-down loops" - just short nylon strap loops with a piece of soft plastic tube. You shut the tube into a door or hood, and it gives you an anchor point. I figure with one shut into the driver's door and another shut into the rear driver's side door, I can run a couple pieces of cord across the rook to my nylon tarp. That anchors 2 sides; then I'll use tent poles/guy lines for the other two points.

This is what I have - they will work anywhere you can close an opening (door/window) on them
https://smile.amazon.com/Shoreline-...86X4NuHL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srchhttp://

·
Registered
451 Posts
Plus 1 on the ARB awnings...I've had this one through a Land Rover and an Econoline and I'm extending it (again ;-) for the transit...

Made some mods to it...sewed on "wings" to the awning itself that allow the walls I made to zip up to it in 15-20 mins and give us an 8x8 spare room...added zippered windows with screens and shades plus a "bathtub" type floor... Had to make a new storage bag for it to roll back into as the original is very form fitted...

Only drawback is it's not a "drive-a-way" design...we only put it up when we're not planning any side trips or if we have friends with us who have other transportation...For those "drive-a-way" situations we use a 10x10 canopy and a "standing room tent" for our spare room...

I have the ARB awning and love it. I bought it for $289 several years ago and it's great. It's a little more of a hassle to deploy since these awnings are made for lower SUV's, but once you know how to do it, it's easy. The awning is rock solid when you use lines on the corners to tie it down. We've survived some major wind gusts without any problems.

I also bought the tent with it but haven't used it. Plan to use the tent this summer when we use the van as our basecamp for some motorcycle trips.

·
Registered
276 Posts
@HDH Don't know if you've seen them yet but the "AwnBrella" (sp?) ribs that are commonly used on RV awnings work well with the ARB awning...you can just see them in the middle pic above...have to drill 2- 1/2" holes on the inside of the front rail...adjustable and tightens up the roof and helps shed water/snow quickly...well worth the extra $100.00...got mine at Camping World

Reactions: HDH

·
Registered
260 Posts
I like to keep it simple too, and please forgive me for bumping this thread with a link to my older post about a simple umbrella....

http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/.../30426-looking-ideas-awning-3.html#post602818

Sorry to be such a one-trick pony, but the 9.5-ft version of this umbrella will totally cover the slider door. Add a cheap clear plastic painter's drop cloth for a buck-fitty and you're waterproof too.

My van is a cargo van, no windows, industrial white, no pinstripes or chrome, looks like a work van, totally invisible wherever I park it, and I like it that way - stealthy. When I'm in a campground, then I'll put up the umbrella for shade/rain.

And I shamelessly steal an idea that I saw on the Expedition Portal threads wherein some guy with an off-road Jeep rig put a small trailer hitch receiver on the SIDE of his Jeep to plug in an umbrella. Brilliant! Imma doing that.

This obviously doesn't work for everybody. Depends on your needs and style. I'm probably boring all the regulars on this forum with low-end ideas like this, so offering my apologies for that. Maybe just for our friends who are reading but not posting, or quick-and-dirty temporary fix.

Anyway, thanks to ya'll here for your ideas, thoughts, and honesty. You all helped me build my van. Thank you.

Reactions: klp

·
Registered
409 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I like to keep it simple too, and please forgive me for bumping this thread with a link to my older post about a simple umbrella.....
This obviously doesn't work for everybody. Depends on your needs and style. I'm probably boring all the regulars on this forum with low-end ideas like this, so offering my apologies for that.

Nothing wrong with low end. No apology necessary!

Thanks for sharing. That’s a cool idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts