Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am looking for an awning for our van. I would like something that covers the whole side door and maybe even the passenger door. I dont want an awning sticking off the front of the van as we go down the road. I also don't want a roof rack. Side mount or direct roof mount would be ideal. I want an awning that I can have open in a moderate rain and still have the side door open.

I am thinking some type of batwing or foxing might be the way to go. Where the wing pivots forward to completely cover the side door and some of the passenger door. My issue with a wing style is being able to reach them on a tall van. I don't really want to have to carry a ladder with me.

Right now, we are using a pop up tent, because one side slopes back to the van, lots of water comes down into the side door opening. Thanks for the suggestions. Pictures are appreciated.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,982 Posts
Hey Yinzer.. I've been looking for a batwing style awning as well for my tall extended. The problem seems to always be the length of the legs versus the height of the awning. I guess you could mount one down the side wall a little.
I figured one of the 23Zero 180 degree awnings would work well. They are about 21 feet long when open.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Direct mount (wall mounted) awnings are a plenty, most RV's use that style.

I choose a Thule direct mount (wall mounted) and bought the roof rack brackets to mount it. My van was already converted and I wasn't going to remove items to mount an awning. You can easily picture it lower where my porch lights are, mounted to the vans side. Van is LWB (non-extended), awning is 10 feet long and covers the sliding door fine, although it does stick out a bit to do this. To have an awning also cover the passenger door would require the awning sticking WAY forward, like missle or something.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Yinzer.. I've been looking for a batwing style awning as well for my tall extended. The problem seems to always be the length of the legs versus the height of the awning. I guess you could mount one down the side wall a little.
I figured one of the 23Zero 180 degree awnings would work well. They are about 21 feet long when open.
My main issue with the batwing style is they need to be tucked away. I would need a ladder to get up there and tucked it back in its bag. Otherwise, I think I could make one work. Maybe I need to make a space in the van for a ladder.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Direct mount (wall mounted) awnings are a plenty, most RV's use that style.

I choose a Thule direct mount (wall mounted) and bought the roof rack brackets to mount it. My van was already converted and I wasn't going to remove items to mount an awning. You can easily picture it lower where my porch lights are, mounted to the vans side. Van is LWB (non-extended), awning is 10 feet long and covers the sliding door fine, although it does stick out a bit to do this. To have an awning also cover the passenger door would require the awning sticking WAY forward, like missle or something.

View attachment 133743
I don't see any roof adapters for the Transit. Do you have a part number or link?
Thanks

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,982 Posts
I don't see any roof adapters for the Transit. Do you have a part number or link?
Thanks

What do you mean roof adapters? You talking roof rails? If so, I used WeatherGuard rails.
I'm assuming he means the brackets for mounting an awning to a roof rack. Thule makes a set, as does ARB and a few other vendors. Basically a large solid L bracket.

For what it is worth, Thule does make a bracket for the Transit, but it mounts to the side of the van. You have to drill though the side wall.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I did use the universal roof rack Thule brackets to help mount the awning to the roof rails. I also had to make a spacer to spread the brackets load to the roof and had to source hardware to attach brackets to the weatherguard rails. I made the hardware myself.

The OP asked about mounting to the van wall itself. I only showed the awning length in relation to the LWB van. I'd rather not takeover their thread.

Full writeup on my awning install is here:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did use the universal roof rack Thule brackets to help mount the awning to the roof rails. I also had to make a spacer to spread the brackets load to the roof and had to source hardware to attach brackets to the weatherguard rails. I made the hardware myself.

The OP asked about mounting to the van wall itself. I only showed the awning length in relation to the LWB van. I'd rather not takeover their thread.

Full writeup on my awning install is here:
Roof mount is an option for me, I will check your thread out. I was looking at the carefree awnings today, they have an option that is roof mounted but does not require a whole rack assembly.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,982 Posts
The only way to get full coverage over the slider and some of the passenger door is to either have a solid cassette style awning sticking forward above the roof line like a missile or using a batwing style awning. I'm thinking one of those aluminum extending ladders would do the job.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only way to get full coverage over the slider and some of the passenger door is to either have a solid cassette style awning sticking forward above the roof line like a missile or using a batwing style awning. I'm thinking one of those aluminum extending ladders would do the job.

And the batwing will be 1/3 the price. A $2200 motorized awning would be nice but if I can get away with $750, that would be nice.

·
Registered
2018 3.7 150 mid, mid transit.
5 Posts
Hello,

I am looking for an awning for our van. I would like something that covers the whole side door and maybe even the passenger door. I dont want an awning sticking off the front of the van as we go down the road. I also don't want a roof rack. Side mount or direct roof mount would be ideal. I want an awning that I can have open in a moderate rain and still have the side door open.

I am thinking some type of batwing or foxing might be the way to go. Where the wing pivots forward to completely cover the side door and some of the passenger door. My issue with a wing style is being able to reach them on a tall van. I don't really want to have to carry a ladder with me.

Right now, we are using a pop up tent, because one side slopes back to the van, lots of water comes down into the side door opening. Thanks for the suggestions. Pictures are appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good morning gentlemen and ladies I am new to your forum but I have just finished modifications on my awning for my mid roof transit extended length 150. Your comment about it hanging over the front of the vehicle you’re not gonna have much of a choice if you want to cover the side door. I’ll attach pictures of what I’ve done with simple structural steel L brackets from the home store and some aluminum to get it far enough out because mines a manual crank.

Hello,

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
By the way this set up already has 2000 miles on it without any issues no vibrations and no noise

·
Registered
553 Posts
With a high roof, you don't really need it on top of the roof and there are some disadvantages with that. I think you should consider a side mount so it fits flush to the side. You don't want it to protrude from the front of the roof (which will hook onto passing tree branches) and you don't need it to be too high as long as it clears the passenger and side doors.

My Fiama awning came with fittings and instructions for both side mount and rack mount. I believe the Thule and Dometic awnings are the same in this regard

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello,

Hello,

I don't know if this helps, but I built one that is easily set up or taken down in less than 5 minutes. DIY Awning for your Transit

1 - 16 of 16 Posts