Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can always move the suction to further back and get a longer tarp. Enter the front through the side door. 👍 Good point. OR put the awning on the other side.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Maybe make the poles reach the ground like I did, instead. I used telescoping extension poles for both the sides (to stretch tarp tight) and the support legs. All roll up in the tarp for stowage, but it takes a whopping 2 minutes to set up that way.

this looks similar to the one posted 5 other times in the last 10 minutes. Same? Good way to get enough posts to share pics, I guess! Better than all the "thank you" posts others use.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe make the poles reach the ground like I did, instead. I used telescoping extension poles for both the sides (to stretch tarp tight) and the support legs. All roll up in the tarp for stowage, but it takes a whopping 2 minutes to set up that way.

this looks similar to the one posted 5 other times in the last 10 minutes. Same? Good way to get enough posts to share pics, I guess! Better than all the "thank you" posts others use.
I was trying to respond to other people to help in their posts. Lol didn't know it would pop up so much. Thank you. Yes the poles could go to the ground. If you attach to the side and no wind no need to secure them.

·
Registered
33 Posts

We've been attaching tarps to our vehicles for years. Just two tarp poles and some tension, no need for the additional poles.
We have learned a few things - bungees are essential, steel tent pegs can become projectiles and make sure it drains in the rain.

I see you used the same cheap Amazon tarps. These are a great deal but are practically disposable, the grommets will be ripped out during the first sign of wind. I prefer the nylon tarps with webbing loops instead of grommets, they are much more durable and no worries about the damage caused by grommets rubbing against your vehicle. Brands like Chinook Technical, MSR even MEC tarps are so much better but can be 10x the cost.

and the best part, everything goes into a bag you could fit into your glove compartment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did something similar for a pop-up truck camper and it'd help to have the tarp longer than the rod furthest from the van. This lets rain drain so it doesn't create a pool, ultimately collapsing the thin rods, pulling off the suction cups, or even putting dents into the side of the van.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts