Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I really like the idea of an awning for our van. We live in Oregon and get plenty of rain, snow when we camp in the cascades in winter, and wind at the beach or Columbia gorge.

My basic question or concern I have is, can an awning be used in the light wind, rain, and/or light snow? Wind and rain are my biggest concerns...

If it gets wet, does it need to be dried before being stowed?

Thanks and I hope this hasn’t been asked many times in the past. I tried searching but the search feature drives me bonkers!

Thanks
Bryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
627 Posts
Haven’t seen much light wind at the gorge. Commercial awnings such as the Fiamma cannot handle more than 15 miles an hour of wind. One strong gust and they can be turned into pretzels. Folks with these awnings have to be really attentive to weather conditions and not leave the vehicle for extended periods of time.

Since we like to day hike, and I can’t say I’m that attentive to potential wind gusts, I’m opting for a Kelty tarp secured to my roof rack with eye hooks. I have an extension that slides onto the front side of my 8020 so that the awning fully covers the sliding door. A couple of other members have done the same thing.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
My DIY version of an ARB awning works fine in gusts up to maybe 25mph, if it's tied down on the corners. So I assume the ARB awnings are just as good. Takes a few minutes to set up, if you want to just push a button and have an awning it's not for you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies. What about if its wet? I assume its ok to fold up for travel, I just have to set it back up so that it eventually dries right?

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
wet material might get moldy if left rolled up wet for days, but it won't hurt it other than stains. Just like a tent.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Haven’t seen much light wind at the gorge. Commercial awnings such as the Fiamma cannot handle more than 15 miles an hour of wind. One strong gust and they can be turned into pretzels. Folks with these awnings have to be really attentive to weather conditions and not leave the vehicle for extended periods of time.

Since we like to day hike, and I can’t say I’m that attentive to potential wind gusts, I’m opting for a Kelty tarp secured to my roof rack with eye hooks. I have an extension that slides onto the front side of my 8020 so that the awning fully covers the sliding door. A couple of other members have done the same thing.

I started with the approach of using shade clothes / tarp poles for a DIY awning, but ultimately ended up purchasing a Fiamma. Even if the DIY method took only 5/10 minutes to fully deploy and stake down, I found that that transaction cost was just too high for me, and I never ended up actually setting it up.

Now, with the quick-deploying fiamma, I use it a ton more. However, I simply do not use it if there is any meaningful wind around me (by contrast, the DIY one survived 30+mph winds at burning man without breaking a sweat).

Re: mold. I haven’t had it long enough to get mold, but I’ve heard it’s a real possibility. The fabric itself is mold / mildew resistant, but the dirt and dust that collects can eventually mold if wet. Again, not something I’ve yet experienced, but I will be thinking about it more when Winter 2020 approaches.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My wife and I really like the idea of an awning for our van. We live in Oregon and get plenty of rain, snow when we camp in the cascades in winter, and wind at the beach or Columbia gorge.

My basic question or concern I have is, can an awning be used in the light wind, rain, and/or light snow? Wind and rain are my biggest concerns...

If it gets wet, does it need to be dried before being stowed?

Thanks and I hope this hasn’t been asked many times in the past. I tried searching but the search feature drives me bonkers!

Thanks
Bryan

Check out this one. DIY Awning for your Transit

·
Registered
55 Posts

Do you have some photos and/or description of how you did that? I've thought of something similar but haven't worked out how to do that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts