Ford Transit USA Forum banner

AWD video

5K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  bacarl 
#1 ·
I came across this video on youtube of the 2020 awd transit going up a roller ramp

AWD video

looks promising, looks like limited slip front axle

#3 ·
Not much selection in the AWD Transit wheels other than the Silver painted wheels or the Forged Aluminum wheels.

During the search at the SEMA Show, I could not find any aftermarket wheel manufactures that had wheels for the AWD Transit. Once we find some wheels that will work, we will have a forum thread on them.

#4 ·
It looks like it is similar to the European AWD system. It seems to be in RWD until the rear wheels loose traction. Only then the front wheels engage. I had that in my European AWD Transit and it worked reasonably well. The mayor problem with such a system is that when you are stopped and accelerate the rear wheels will spin and dig before the front wheels engage and you are in 4wd mode. Sometimes the rear wheels are already too deep in mud or sand before the front wheels add traction. When the van is moving the momentum usually keeps it going long enough for the front wheels to engage. I think it doesn't have limited slip in the front. It probably has sensors which brake a spinning wheel thereby simulating a locker. This works surprisingly well. I realized that when the system didn't work and I suddenly had problems especially in sand where I had none before. Those Dunes and beaches in Mozambique can be tricky.

#8 ·
Transit guide

ALL-WHEEL DRIVE*
The intelligent AWD system continuously monitors vehicle conditions and adjusts the power distribution between the front and rear wheels. The AWD system is on all the time and requires no input from the driver. It is capable of handling all road conditions. You can optimize the AWD performance for specialized driving conditions by selecting different drive modes.
SELECTABLE DRIVE MODES*
The system optimizes steering, handling and powertrain response.
The system automatically tailors your vehicle configuration for each mode you select.
To change the drive mode setting, press the button on the instrument panel. Repeatedly press the button to scroll through the available drive modes. Release the button to confirm your selected drive mode.
Normal: For effortless and balanced driving.
ECO: Vehicle settings suited for economical driving.
Slippery: Tow/Haul: Mud/Ruts:
Vehicle settings suited for driving on slippery roads.
Vehicle settings suited for towing or hauling.
Vehicle settings suited for driving through mud and ruts.

#10 ·
Old post but wanted to chime in. The above video is a good one. As far as I can tell it launches with only the right front wheel. The delay/wheel spin you see is the brake system controlling slip across the front diff; once all the available torque is routed to that one front wheel, up it goes. Sg1 is right, it's an open diff and it uses the brakes to bias torque left/right. The AWD system can only send torque front/rear.
Some other info: the AWD system always launches in 4WD. It's what's considered a proactive system; it doesn't wait for slip to occur because as was mentioned if a tire slips it can compromise the traction at that corner and get stuck more easily. Systems that engage only after the wheels slip are referred to as reactive systems. Transit's system only reverts to RWD under acceptable conditions at higher speeds, at which point it monitors a number of inputs including slip to decide when to turn back on. Also it never shuts off in Slippery or Mud&Ruts mode, there's torque at all four wheels all the time, like conventional 4x4. Waldoch made a decent video exploring the drive modes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.