Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
but i didnt go anywhere near even a 1/4 mile before it shut off.
What drive mode were you in and was traction control on or off?

I've found I can't get the van to behave/respond to throttle with TC on so I turn it off as soon as I hit dirt and things are much better.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The first thing I do when on dirt or gravel is turn TCS off. Then, if I have tough or slippery terrain I engage Mud/Rut mode knowing I will be in low gear in that mode. Without turning TCS off it is impossible to feel in control over momentum or speed (for floating washboards, etc.) If for some reason I forget to turn off TCS the lack of throttle response reminds me very quickly. I think the other thing to keep in mind is that the brakes are a big part of these AWD systems and the ABS pump used to pressure the brakes may also have limits when there is a potential for a lot of wheel spin.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Sorry no pics handy of the hill that claimed me, but im there all of the time, so maybe next weekend i will try attempt number two to see how things go. (lol) Just need to make sure im in the "make it climb mode" next time as i couldnt find that yesterday. (lol)
Here is a pic lifted from his buddy's FB post.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Just to refresh my memory I went out to the van and made some observations about Mud/Rut mode. When the mode is engaged the warning light comes on indicating TC/Stability is off. It also holds the shift points much longer and there is much more engine braking as it downshifts. Also, the AWD indicator shows a constant balance of torque levels on all 4 wheels as opposed to normal mode where it seems to vary based on conditions.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
So could the OP not have just let the system cool and then try to continue on in the correct mode??
From my (limited) experience. I would say turn off TC as soon as you get off pavement. And turn on Mud/Rut mode as soon as you try to climb anything with limited traction. It appears OP was new to the vehicle and did not change modes or turn off TC. I'm guessing TC tried to nanny the situation to the point of overheating. I do know from experience that TC will prevent you from maintaining momentum needed to navigate low traction situations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts