Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Surprisingly the European AWD Transits use a different system which is much more robust and will not get hot. You find a description here Transparent All-wheel-drive Ford Transit revealed at Hanover Commercial Vehicle Show and here

It is fully mechanical and uses essentially 2 Haldex type clutches locking the 2 frontwheels if needed. They can be kept locked with a switch. Obviously there are no other drive modes you can select because there are no electronics. You have to be careful though because once locked you also have the equivalent of a locked front differential. I used that system in my old van in Africa and Latin America and it worked reliably. In Africa I drove for dozens of miles in deep sand without problems. I am surprised Ford choose a different system in the US.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What’s funny is I was going through some past posts and someone posted they talked to a mechanic friend from Europe who said don’t get the AWD because it constantly breaks, lol.

Then people posted how the AWD system here is different etc....

You just can’t win today on the internet, everything is complete junk!!!, lol.
That is true. You always find at least one voice supporting any statement. I speak German and spend every year a few months in Europe. I am retired and have no time constraints. I follow quite a few forums in Europe and in the last 12 years I have seen very few discussions about problems with the European awd system. Usually something broke after the driver locked the system on a dry paved road. That would do it. I never had problems with my Transit and I started my trip through Africa and Latin America in 2011. About 100,000 miles later and after completing the trip in 2019 in Uruguay I sold my Transit to someone who started another expedition. Right now I own a F150 with a CampX (the first fullsize prototype) pop up camper and for my travels in Europe and neighbourhood a 2020 Transit camper van with 170 hp diesel, awd and a 6 speed manual gearbox with low first gear and 4.11 differential. Tires are 225/75R16 with a 2 inch lift. Not a rock crawler but capable enough for travelling once we are free to travel again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts