Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first evidence I’ve seen of this. Knocking some horsepower and torque off the ecoboost for AWD.

Saw this in the 2020 Transit specs e-source book.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Still enough power. However, makes me question the engineering of the awd being unable to handle the power. Furthermore, you can't get the 3.31 with awd due to excessive shifting of the 10 speed. Ford as a company is in serious trouble. Some stock analysts feel Ford is nearing bankruptcy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
According to the second to last row in that table, the 2020 Transit EcoBoost will have the PFDI. If I understand correctly, PFDI includes two injectors per cylinder: one direct injector and one port injector. If so, this should help alleviate some of the issue with deposits on the intake valve. However, I have read in many other places that the 2020 Transit EcoBoost will not actually have PFDI. Can a current owner verify this for the rest of us? Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
pfdi is a non turbo engine.
Actually, PFDI is a design for fuel delivery. It can be fitted to turbocharged engines and naturally aspirated engines alike. For example, the 2020 F-150 EcoBoost has PFDI. Specifically, I was referring to the middle column of the second to last row of the table in the OP. It lists PFDI under the EcoBoost heading.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I found lots of stuff on that list that was “To Be Determined” and other things factually wrong. However the different power ratings seem legit as it lists both as items applying to each drive system. Not a typo or an overlooked entry.
I honestly don’t know and I also saw the PFDi on the ecoboost which as far as I know is incorrect.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It is also interesting that the AWD Ecoboost needed 5500 rpm for rated HP vs. 5000 rpm for RWD. I will stick with my Quigley.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Maybe they want to detune for a couple years to see if the essentially new configuration is robust?
I could be mistaken, ( might not even be the first time ), but the AWD in the Transit is not a complete copy of an existing system on another model.
If it bothers you, why not just pop in a 600HP tune chip?

·
Registered
226 Posts
This power rating of the awd. is net. as there are more moving parts robbing power.
After further thought, this is definitely incorrect. Look at any other make/model vehicle offering both 2wd and 4wd. Do they state two different hp and tq ratings to distinguish between 2 and 4wd? No. The engine is derated for the Transit awd.

·
Registered
25 Posts
From the looks of it the 2020 gets the newest generation PFDI version of the EcoBoost 3.5 that the F150 has which means it's really turned down since it's rated at 375hp/470 lb-ft of torque in that application.

·
Registered
716 Posts
From the looks of it the 2020 gets the newest generation PFDI version of the EcoBoost 3.5 that the F150 has which means it's really turned down since it's rated at 375hp/470 lb-ft of torque in that application.
Yes, so next year they can bump it up 20HP with no real engineering cost and say NEW IMPROVED SEXY SPORTY !

·
Registered
32 Posts
From post #2 on this thread Ecoboost "Versions" - Please Educate Me the Transit does not have the same EB engine as the F-150.

I think something has popped up making Ford question the power handling ability of the AWD system, which really makes me question its suitability for use in towing anything approaching its rated maximum.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The transit ecoboost is already derated due to cooling limitations vs the F-150. Maybe the AWD system contributes? Though if it was a cooling limitation, they could just lower the redline and keep torque the same. Must be AWD/transmission/chassis limitations.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Most of us will rarely ever use max ho? How many of of use get to run the motors down the higheaycat 5,000 rpm? Like 120 mph? Whats more important are the torque and power curves. Midrange and low end torque are much more useful abd where we are normally driving . Except on a racetrack.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Most of us will rarely ever use max ho? How many of of use get to run the motors down the higheaycat 5,000 rpm? Like 120 mph? Whats more important are the torque and power curves. Midrange and low end torque are much more useful abd where we are normally driving . Except on a racetrack.
When you figure in the value of the turbos and and other performance enhancing items you're NOT getting with the AWD model, the premium they're charging for the AWD is actually more than stated. I don't think I'll be "upgrading" anytime soon...

·
Registered
76 Posts
@Brianmcgaha, as you have been inspecting your new 2020 EB engine, have you noticed that it does or does not have port fuel injectors in addition to the direct injectors? It would be really nice to have a definitive answer on this issue. We have a 2020 EB on the way, and I'm really hoping that it has the additional injectors so that we don't need to worry (as much) about the carbon deposits on the intake valves. Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
When you figure in the value of the turbos and and other performance enhancing items you're NOT getting with the AWD model, the premium they're charging for the AWD is actually more than stated. I don't think I'll be "upgrading" anytime soon...
Checkmate, can you please explain what you mean when you say that the AWD model does not include "the turbos and other performance enhancing items"? It sounds like you are saying that if you order an AWD with EcoBoost engine, it comes without turbos!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts