Ford Transit USA Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Put a new disposal at the house today. It appears green is the permanent "new" ground color.

I didn't order the auto wipers because of vertigo.

Are the auto lights JUST the headlamps? They need to be both front and back lights because in the rain you can't see the dummies from behind who just have the daylight driving lights on (no tail lights).

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yellow is correct, it's switched battery positive DC. Black is battery negative. Your headlights can be turned on without the key.
do you mean "un"switched battery positive? otherwise it doesn't support the "without the key" part.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I can double confirm, I ordered and installed the headlight switch, it does work correctly. I now have auto headlights and still have full control of all other functions.
so, just to clarify -- you (and sschefer) somehow got vans with auto-wipers, but not auto-lights (i thought they had to be ordered together, but perhaps i'm mistaken) and simply swapping the headlight switch has now gotten you the auto-lights, right? this wouldn't work on a vehicle without the auto-wipers, i assume.

paul

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
so, just to clarify -- you (and sschefer) somehow got vans with auto-wipers, but not auto-lights (i thought they had to be ordered together, but perhaps i'm mistaken) and simply swapping the headlight switch has now gotten you the auto-lights, right? this wouldn't work on a vehicle without the auto-wipers, i assume.

paul
Not sure if it works for all but it worked for me and I do have rain sensing wipers. I have a feeling they put the sensors in every van.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Today I installed a switch so I can disable/enable the headlight switch at will. When the headlight switch is enabled, everything works just as it always has: the headlight switch controls the lights. When disabled, the headlights are on whenever the ignition is on, and off otherwise, sort of like Daytime Running Lights. Not a big project, but there's more of a writeup here: http://projects.foxharp.net/the_van/#headlight-switch-switch-532017

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not sure if it works for all but it worked for me and I do have rain sensing wipers. I have a feeling they put the sensors in every van.
How do you know if you have rain sensing wipers? The manual is a bit unclear how to differentiate them from manual wiper,
Where is the module, to confirm, or is it in the headlight switch?

Just got a 2017 Transit 350 Base model. Manual lights, but the trick of unplugging the lights does work.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
How do you know if you have rain sensing wipers? The manual is a bit unclear how to differentiate them from manual wiper.
I agree that the manual is not as clear as it could be on wipers.

On our 350 xlt wagon, there is a sensor plugged in behind the mirror cover. I believe the sensor space is just empty if you don't have the option, that is how it is for the lane sensor space on ours.

The wiper control arm has a dial of sorts built into it to adjust the sensitivity.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I can tell you very easily how you know. If the wipers are in the second position (not off or really fast) and a single droplet falls it should automatically clear the windshield.

The downside I have come to find out is if your windshield is replaced the rain camera needs to be re-calibrated by Ford. Without recalibration you have almost 0 control of wipers. Either manually push the stalk down for every wipe or third/fourth position for hyperspeed and warpspeed.

With no rainsensor 2nd position would turn on and continue wiping with no moisture and speed could be modified with dial adjuster.

Shmoo - LWB 15 pass Wagon Low Roof. 3.7L - 3.73

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
How do you know if you have rain sensing wipers? The manual is a bit unclear how to differentiate them from manual wiper,
Where is the module, to confirm, or is it in the headlight switch?

Just got a 2017 Transit 350 Base model. Manual lights, but the trick of unplugging the lights does work.
I didn't know until they came on one time. I checked my build sheet and it said nothing about the wipers or headlights but I clearly had the correct wiper arm on the column. So... I got to thinking and ordered the auto switch and installed it... Works like a champ.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I didn't know until they came on one time. I checked my build sheet and it said nothing about the wipers or headlights but I clearly had the correct wiper arm on the column. So... I got to thinking and ordered the auto switch and installed it... Works like a champ.
You installed the headlight auto switch?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree that the manual is not as clear as it could be on wipers.

On our 350 xlt wagon, there is a sensor plugged in behind the mirror cover. I believe the sensor space is just empty if you don't have the option, that is how it is for the lane sensor space on ours.

The wiper control arm has a dial of sorts built into it to adjust the sensitivity.
I have had that cover off. Don't remember what's behind it, but I can look again.
Does anyone have a picture or part number or diagram of what could be behind the cover and what it's for?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, there's at least one other thread on here about it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sorry.

Yes, I have read some of the threads on installing this.

I should have said, installing the switch gave you auto wipers?

Did you already have the rain sensor?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Sorry.

Yes, I have read some of the threads on installing this.

I should have said, installing the switch gave you auto wipers?

Did you already have the rain sensor?
Yes I did, but others have said they didn't have the wipers and the switch upgrade gave them auto headlights.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Somebody asked for the P/N for the auto switch - 11654(SW-6864) I got it and will install it today.

Somebody asked how to remove the headlight switch.

1. Remove the access cover just below the headlight switch. It just pops off.
2. Reach up inside and grab the flexible retaining clips at the top and bottom rear of the light switch.
3. Squeeze them and push out at the same time and it should pop right out.
Thanks sschefer and others who posted! I ordered the part listed above for my 2015 148" MR T-250. I do not have auto wipers so I was not certain how the auto headlight switch would behave. After installing the switch (easy as 1, 2, 3 above) these are my results:
Off, Parking Lights, On - Works as before with the original switch
Auto - With the switch in the auto position, both the headlights and taillights come on when the ignition is on and remain on until the ignition is turned off, regardless of environmentals (day, sunny, cloudy, night).

I would have liked the lights to respond to an optical sensor and turn off when sufficient daylight was detected but they do not. Perhaps those with auto wipers have the optical sensor which would allow for this. Behind my rear view mirror I have what looks like a phone camera lense and a second circle that appears to be blanked off, maybe that has something to do with it. The results are satisfactory and meet the end goal of not leaving a parking lot at night with my head and tail lights off.... as a result of my head being off.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts