Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone confirm whether or not the stock Transit cargo lights are dimmable? It would be great if I could simply replace the rear door light switch with a dimmer switch (e.g. Wireless (RF) LED Dimmer ). Is this wishful thinking? Does the included dimmer box make the lights dimmable? If this won't work, does anybody have any suggestions for dimmable lights? Bonus points for dimmable lights that would fit in stock locations so I don't have to worry about rewiring/mounting. #NotAnElectrician

·
Registered
511 Posts
There is information on the page in the link below. Link may not go right to it but it's there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is information on the page in the link below. Link may not go right to it but it's there.

Perfect. Thanks. I found the piece but unfortunately the Amazon link to the dimmer/remote is stale. Given this info I'm assuming the stock lights are dimmable. Will see if Hein has any updated product recommendations.

·
Registered
770 Posts
A PWM dimmer should be able to work on any LED lights.
Possibly not related to your question but if you get dimmable 12v lights and install them and power them with the OEM lighting they won’t work correctly and will have a real faint light anytime the van is on and for about 30 minutes after you shut the van off. In this case non dimmable will be a better choice even if you plan to have a dimmer

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The issue will be that the led's are switched negative through the door switch. Just something to keep in mind during wiring. That means constant positive to the lights.
Thanks for this but I'm not sure what this means/what the impact/risk is. Can you expand a bit so I can hopefully understand what I might be getting into? My current thinking is that I will follow Hein's approach (see link in thread above) of splicing in the dimmer controller into the wiring harness before the cargo lights. Please let me know what the issues/considerations are with going this route and/or provide some recommendations around the most straightforward way to dim the cargo lights. Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.