Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Transit 350 HD Wagon
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, we just bought a black 2017 Transit 350 HD and we're going over the van in detail to prepare for conversion. The roof has a dent near the passenger side rear and some light scuffs in a few spots, and between that and reading about all the roof plug leak issues we are thinking about coating the roof. We've used Dicor Metal RV Roof Coating on a camper before and it provided a pretty bulletproof coating, plus a noticeable reduction in heat transmission. With a black roof, it seems like the reduction in heat would be even greater.

Has anyone used this product on their Transit? Are there any other recommended coatings that people have used?

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
A few people here have done similar to what you ask before.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A few people here have done similar to what you ask before.

Thanks - I searched Dicor but only got threads about lap sealant. This is helpful.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
I'm not sure why you would want to use an elastomeric paint on the whole roof just because of the plug leaks. I'd just address plug sealing issue with one of the methods documented on this site and paint the roof with an oil based acrylic enamel paint (i.e. Rustoleum) If you plan to paint it yourself, it is possible to get a decent finish rolling on this type of paint if you thin the paint out a bit. I suppose you could ad an acrylic hardener the the paint, but that's probably not necessary for a roof. Adherence to the clear coat would be my biggest concern. Ideally you would want to just scuff up the clearcoat rather than remove it so the protection of the factory paint is not negated. Perhaps a compatible high adherence primer and then a top coat would be a good idea to improve the bonding to the clear coat. Primer would probably be a good idea anyway when painting white over black.

If you got comfortable with your painting skill, you could do this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure why you would want to use an elastomeric paint on the whole roof just because of the plug leaks. I'd just address plug sealing issue with one of the methods documented on this site and paint the roof with an oil based acrylic enamel paint (i.e. Rustoleum) If you plan to paint it yourself, it is possible to get a decent finish rolling on this type of paint if you thin the paint out a bit. I suppose you could ad an acrylic hardener the the paint, but that's probably not necessary for a roof. Adherence to the clear coat would be my biggest concern. Ideally you would want to just scuff up the clearcoat rather than remove it so the protection of the factory paint is not negated. Perhaps a compatible high adherence primer and then a top coat would be a good idea to improve the bonding to the clear coat. Primer would probably be a good idea anyway when painting white over black.
My goal with coating the whole roof is both leak prevention and heat reduction. The Dicor coating has a companion primer that we would use beforehand, after washing and a light scuff of the top with a green Scotchbrite pad.

My plan is to make it not visible from the ground - just covering the top inside the rain gutters and to the front and rear transitions.

·
Banned
21 Posts

I have not used this product for sealing my camper but instead of this, I have used RV Roof Magic. It is indeed a magic; I have been using it for some time and it instantly clogs the leaks and provides permanent water leakage protection against heavy raining snowing etc.

All you need to do is wash the surface where the leakage is so that any impurity washes off from the surface and the solution can go deep inside the leakage holes. Let it dry and apply a nice layer of the sealant solution. Do not apply a very thick layer nor thin and let it rest for 2 hours and you are good to go.

·
Registered
2021 Transit 148 HR
257 Posts
With a black roof, it seems like the reduction in heat would be even greater.
Just on the heat reduction ... I put a layer of Ensolite (5/8 inch) on the ceiling and it completely eliminated any "hot roof" feeling. This also will help, of course, with retaining heat in the cold weather, and makes the van quieter. A white roof will significantly reduce heat absorbtion, but does nothing for heat retention or noise deadening.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Someone replied so I guess I should follow up. We put the Dicor on the roof and had an immediate reduction in heat. The underside of the roof in 100 degree heat would immediately burn your skin if you even just bumped into it accidentally. Now it's tolerable. We've gone further by adding thinsulate into the cavities and lining the back of the headliner with Low-E. Happy with the results.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.