Ford Transit USA Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Planning on it! in another year the boy is out of school and I can sell my bad neighborhood adjacent house for $750,000-$1,000,000 and 1039 for an estate in Sedona. Assuming real estate values retain comparative values. But if I moved out of the city now and joined you across the bridge, I'd drive even MORE because I'd have to go further to my work and projects.
NO NO NO do not move to Sedona. there are 3 million visitors a year, a city council that caters to the tourists and has 4 roundabouts in less than a mile along with a stop light for cars and one for pedestrians. the roundabouts are barely wide enough for cars and the trucks are running over them. and the biggie is that tourists do not know how to use them, people do not use turn signals and some race through not yielding as they should.
5 years here from santa cruz and we are on the way out to 6500 feet, 200 year round residents and 3 months of people from phoenix.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Everyplace desirable has this problem. I'm really old and frail, so I don't expect to drive daily when I move there. I'll get a place bordering public land on the Northwest side so I can go trail running and mtn biking right from my door. I don't think I'd visit the tourist shops and spots very often, if ever. A trip to Bashas every week, maybe up to Flag every month for supplies. My life accomplice already has a lifetime supply of healing crystals and essential oils, so she won't need to go down by the Y and stock up. I hope. In the shoulder seasons I'll probably go up to the GC to run R2R2R a few times, but I'm kind of getting bored with that route. Regardless, a little ways out of town and the traffic isn't too bad, even on 89, and it's only a couple times a month.

You're right about people who are clueless on roundabouts. They act like they are 4-way stops, and just sit there blocking traffic waiting for the Yield sign to turn green. My brother cannot learn new things, and calls them "democrat circles", because in his mind all bad things are "democrat". I've been on those roundabout in Sedona, and they are a little cramped. Maybe they are trying to get the trucks to take a different route instead of coming through from Oak Creek.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Everyplace desirable has this problem. I'm really old and frail, so I don't expect to drive daily when I move there. I'll get a place bordering public land on the Northwest side so I can go trail running and mtn biking right from my door. I don't think I'd visit the tourist shops and spots very often, if ever. A trip to Bashas every week, maybe up to Flag every month for supplies. My life accomplice already has a lifetime supply of healing crystals and essential oils, so she won't need to go down by the Y and stock up. I hope. In the shoulder seasons I'll probably go up to the GC to run R2R2R a few times, but I'm kind of getting bored with that route. Regardless, a little ways out of town and the traffic isn't too bad, even on 89, and it's only a couple times a month.

You're right about people who are clueless on roundabouts. They act like they are 4-way stops, and just sit there blocking traffic waiting for the Yield sign to turn green. My brother cannot learn new things, and calls them "democrat circles", because in his mind all bad things are "democrat". I've been on those roundabout in Sedona, and they are a little cramped. Maybe they are trying to get the trucks to take a different route instead of coming through from Oak Creek.
We live in the area you are talking about. Top of Navahopi and north. private road, small hoa (created in 59) and private approval access to the trails. I thought it would be ok but you have to go through town and we do not shop the tourist stores. Generally Bashas, Safeway or Whole Wallet. Perhaps you are not aware of the new traffic measures they are in the midst of installation. Two new roundabouts one at Jordan and the other at the north end of town so people can turn around and go back. Now if you were in the market now, our house hits the market this week. .59 acre, 2300 sq ft. single level, 3/2 with additional separate office with bath and fenced yard. $750 K. I have lived in tourist areas, Santa Cruz Mountains, West Shore of Lake Tahoe, Pleasure Point Neighborhood of Santa Cruz (just north of Capitola on the coast). I am done with tourist areas. I also grew up in the bay area, Paly class of 68, and am probably done with people.
Good luck
The rural nature could possibly give you the mpg that I get on runs to Cottonwood, Flag, Prescott (Costco) and Phoenix for doctors.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Well, we have our Central Oregon and Big Island properties, so I wouldn't be married to Sedona year round. I've lived near ski resorts like Breckenridge, and the tourism can be overwhelming, but after a while you find the routes and routines that soften the blow.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Back on topic. My wife prefers to take the high roof Transit when shopping. Very easy to find the vehicle in the parking lot when done shopping. 148" WB not extended works well in all parking places except parking garages.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My '16 T350HD was my DD for a year and change. Carrying two surf boards and a couple bikes plus my mobile office. However I felt bad when I calculated how much pollution I was creating since with kid activities I only ever got to use the sports gear I hauled once a week anyway. I bought a hatchback for the four days a week I dont need that stuff and enjoy driving it a lot more. With the 350HD, you have to take extra care in city driving, it's huge and many drivers are totally clueless or glued to their cell phones (or both).

As mentioned earlier, the Transit is not as nice as a minivan. I've owned two 2000-ish minivans and the Transit is a step up from those, but not vs anything built in the last decade. I even took one of those beater minivans on a week long camping trip instead of the Transit and, you know what? it worked out just fine and it was way more stealth (we did some free camping because I didn't plan ahead and book camp grounds).

I've also pulled the seats out of the minivan and used it to make dump runs and get materials to build my deck. Again it's like a 1998 so cheap and cheerful. And it cost $3,000 instead of $50,000.

I know a lot of folks convert their big vans into RVs. I've never really been into that, I just hate pitching a tent when camping. I like cooking and sitting outdoors and then inflating an air mattress and passing out in the van.

That said, the Transit rocks when we've gone on multi family trips, multi-activity trips, and for hauling lots of stuff. My son's school did some camping trips and we took all the gear for the group and those families with small vehicles. On combo surf/mountain bike trips, it takes some tetris to fit everything in a minivan. We furnished an entire studio and everything fit inside the van no problem in one trip. When we moved 1000 miles, I got everything we own in the van and my trailer with two trips. I've also shuttled mountain bikers since we can cram half a dozen people and their bikes in no problem, even without a rack.

The van is already paid off so I'm sticking with it, but if I did it all over again I'd get a smaller van and a slightly bigger trailer or two minivans-- a cheap one for beater duty and a nicer one for general use. I don't really need the fanciness of a loaded modern minivan, in fact consider it a liability since we're generally splashing mud and salt water all over fancy electronics and perforated electric seats (e.g. I had electrical issues because of spilled water bottle in my VW hatchback).

There are definite use cases where the van rocks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Although I sold my van, it was a pretty competitive "van" I guess. Drove like a car, huge cargo room, controls felt solid. I just didn't want to go past warranty in case something happened. I was only at 40k km and was already hearing the famous droning noise.

Honestly just go with the Chevy vans, they're are so many out there that you'll never need to go over budget getting one. I drive an older Chevy now and it strangely shifts better than that sluggish 6 speed on the 2018 transits.

·
Registered
Gray 2018 15 Passenger Transit 350 XLT - We call it the "Pachyderm"
4 Posts
I went from a Loaded Town and County to a 15 Passenger Tranist XLT 350 a little over a year ago and I have not looked back.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts