Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will probably be buying a 2016 Transit 250, high roof, long bed (NOT extended). I’m going to convert it into a camper van as it will be my full time home so I want to include a shower. No doubt the extended bed would be better suited for a shower but the Transit I’m looking at is a really good deal and is the long bed version.

QUESTIONS:

1) Have any of you guys built a shower into your high roof long bed Transit?

2) Can you describe the general layout you went with, please?

Thanks!😀

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
In the same size van if I had a inside shower I would not have room for anything else, My Queensize bed stretches all the way to the sliding door. The sliding door is four feet wide so that is how much space I would have for a shower and everything else.

·
Registered
2019 HR Cargo Oxford White 148 wb 3.7L
644 Posts
Better off taking sponge bath. Take showers at campgrounds with showers, Truck stops etc. space is to precious in this size vehicle.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders - SOLD
2,383 Posts
I would recommend you search for the word "Shower". There are already several hundred posts sharing ideas about showers in a Transit, and you may get more information there than waiting for a reply here on a subject that has already been discussed in depth. I found these after a 5 second search.

·
Registered
2022 W2X LWB HR AWD EcoBoost on order
7 Posts
I will probably be buying a 2016 Transit 250, high roof, long bed (NOT extended). I’m going to convert it into a camper van as it will be my full time home so I want to include a shower. No doubt the extended bed would be better suited for a shower but the Transit I’m looking at is a really good deal and is the long bed version.

QUESTIONS:

Thanks!😀

I am adding a shower in a HR long, non extended. It is a must for me but I am not full time.
The layout will be similar to this Wilderness Vans Floor Plan - Blakiston

·
Registered
2019 Transit cargo, HR, 3.5 Eco, Quigley 4X4, “Vandemic”
132 Posts
Here is the layout that we used to have Sportsmobile West (now Field Van) build out our 2019 Transit HR 148” WB. The shower/cassette toilet is housed in a full length cabinet on the driver’s side with a door that clears the galley counter on the passenger side. The bed is a platform type (East-West) at 32” with storage underneath. We also have an outdoor shower in the back.
We don’t stay in campgrounds often and use the rear shower most of the time during the summer. We last used the indoor shower on our way to LA for Thanksgiving. We had planned a stop at a Pilot truck complex for a quick shower TG morning but found the wait was 2 hrs. We used the shower in the parking lot!
The only modification from the design that is shown is we eliminated the bench behind the driver seat. When not in use as a bathroom, the cabinet makes a good “wet” closet, stores our window coverings, coats, shoes and various other items that we use without having to open up the garage.
Rectangle Product Font Material property Parallel

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

QUESTIONS:

Thanks!😀
Showers waste too much space and especially water imo, but if you're really determined I think @gregory had a recirculation shower, so at least the water usage is reduced.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Full time living has very different requirements than even extended long term travel. Unless you have a separate place to store seldom used (but important) items, you will require far more storage space than the typical "travel" build you'll find online.

I'll be hitting the three year full time mark in April, if I don't decide to do something else before then. My layout is essentially two waist-height cabinets running the length of the van with an aisle down the centre. My bed is 86" to accommodate my height comfortably, and it folds down from the passenger side wall, resting on the two side cabinets when deployed. This gives a lot of storage space while still allowing one to feel less claustrophobic with a few days of inclement weather to deal with. My shower setup involves a mortar bin from a building box store, shower curtain, and a 2 litre hand pumped sprayer. Water is heated on the stove when I'm being a wimp and can't bring myself to do a cold wash down. The area at the sliding door is kept free for this purpose.

Reactions: magentawave

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have to agree with a lot of the comments above. I have camped for extended periods of time in both van conversions and slide-in pickup campers since about 1980. I have never felt the need for a shower. Bucket baths, 24 hour fitness centers, state parks, county campgrounds, national truck stops and lots of other sources around for a quick wash down. Especially in a van, showers just take up too much valuable space.

On edit:
Makes me think that a sticky thread with ideas for where to grab a shower might turn up some other original options.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I have read about full timers, It seems like most of them have health club memberships and they use their showers, A side benefit is sometimes they are able to park in the parking lot over night.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have a shower in my (extended) layout since I’m going to live full time. But I’m building an interior closet/storage unit on hinges that is in the shower/bathroom whenever it’s not in use. When I want to use it I just will swing the interior 8020 storage frame (has shelves and drawers built into it) out into the hall. Best of both worlds for me. Still need to build it though haha, but the design is done

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a shower in my (extended) layout since I’m going to live full time. But I’m building an interior closet/storage unit on hinges that is in the shower/bathroom whenever it’s not in use. When I want to use it I just will swing the interior 8020 storage frame (has shelves and drawers built into it) out into the hall. Best of both worlds for me. Still need to build it though haha, but the design is done
That’s an excellent idea. Will you need to wait until the shower is dry before swinging the closet back inside?

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
2,393 Posts
We've got a removable 21"x36" shower module that does recirculate (though still working on the plumbing on that).

It could totally be done in a non-extended layout. And I don't think it's a huge waste of space. As Orton has said, being sure to also use it for storage and the toilet makes it that much more practical. Or even more creative, as @magentawave describes above.

Our layout is N-S with the fridge and electronics in between the shower and the bed. IOW, move those under the bed and you've got plenty of room. We have almost nothing under the bed - just a HUGE garage for us. We may build another van that's mid-length and we'll definitely have a removable shower module.

Vehicle Vehicle door Automotive exterior Automotive design Motor vehicle

Property Wood Interior design Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
269 Posts
My medium height roof, non-extended Transit has a shower. Originally, I was not planing to have one for the many reasons stated here by others, but the Bride wanted a shower, and in the end, she was correct. It is not something that is used all the time, but when you need it, you are glad to have it.

My transit shower is similar to the plan @Scotty49 shows, except that the cassette toilet is on the front side of the shower, closer to the driver's seat. It is easier to locate a shower on the driver's side, as there is a large area under the van floor next to the gas tank that works well for the gray tank location. A shower curtain is used to keep the cassette toilet dry while the shower is being used. A rug is over the shower pan in the photo. The second photo shows the 5 gallon cassette toilet tank, which is separate from the 15 gallon gray tank under the van floor. There is also an exterior shower attachment in the second photo. It is behind the square plastic cover on the cabinet by the sliding door just below the water fill. This works well for rinsing sand off feet at the beach, or muddy shoes before getting into the van.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Guys, regarding the concerns about the space a shower will take….

As someone that has done tons of primitive camping in the mountains and surf trips into deep Baja, and some ocean cruising in small sailboats, I’m not afraid of getting dirty. However, since this will be my home and most of my time won’t be in the middle of nowhere, I want to be clean. Now, as glorious as a long hot shower is, that won’t be what the shower in my van will be for. If I want a long hot shower then a gym or Y membership or motel or campground shower will do. Thing is, they aren’t always open or around when and where I want them to be and many gyms have limited hours since Covid. During the summer I have no problem taking a cool shower (or warm if I leave the tank in the sun) outside with my garden pump sprayer or at the beach, but it’s too dang cold to do that in the winter.

I want my van to be very comfortable, hence a super comfy memory foam mattress, diesel heater and space for shower, but its going to be a simple build because I don’t want the weight, expense and complexity that’s typical of normal RV’s. So, I’m thinking that in the warm summer months I’ll still use my garden pump sprayer outside, or maybe I’ll have a removable faucet at the galley sink with a sprayer thingy and shower with that. Either way, it will be a get wet, soap down and rinse off shower that I can do with less than a gallon of water. When it’s cold I can heat up the interior with the diesel heater and heat the water on the stove and use the garden sprayer inside the shower space. I understand how wasteful a space for just a shower would be in a medium length van so the real challenge will be how to maximize that space for dual or triple use. If I do build a shower stall then I will also have my self built humanure style “compost” toilet in there and a place to hang wet wetsuits to dry. Or maybe build a storage closet that hinges or rolls out of the way (like the other guy mentioned) when I’m using the facilities. Another idea to consider that won’t require the space for a shower is to have attachments on the cieling that a shower curtain can quickly attach to and detach that would encircle me in the hallway. I would have to figure out a simple base I can stand in while showering that’s tall enough to catch the water but can also be easily stored without taking a lot of space. Something that folds and stows flat would be ideal. Got any ideas?

As far as the concerns about this being big enough to live in permanently…. I am a minimalist that has lived on small sailboats on moorings and have been living in my converted 06 Sienna for almost 7 months now. Point is, a high roof medium length Transit would be like living in a palace.

·
Registered
615 Posts
That’s an excellent idea. Will you need to wait until the shower is dry before swinging the closet back inside?
I’ll wipe down with a towel, but the hinged closet doesn’t actually touch anything. My maxxfan is right outside the shower, and espar is across the aisle, so I’m not worried about humidity.

Plan is to keep pots and pans, dishes, dirty laundry, dog stuff in there so nothing that could be ruined anyways

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Everyone’s contributions have been very helpful. Thank you! I just bought some graph paper so I will be laying down my ideas for layouts in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Showers waste too much space and especially water imo, but if you're really determined I think @gregory had a recirculation shower, so at least the water usage is reduced.

Cheers.
The shower enclosure can be used for other purposes for the 98% of the time that you are not showering and a Navy shower can be done with 2- 2 1/2 gallons of water/person.

If you want a pleasant shower like at home then space, power and water are wasted. If you only want to get clean then very little space, power or water is required.

·
Registered
2021 T350 Cargo HR 148 AWD
66 Posts
I hear a lot of: showers are a waste of space. I don't get it. Cant the shower space be also used for other purposes like; storage for a toilet, hanging clothes/ski gear/wetsuits, stacking storage bins, bedding, litter box, etc? I get it, if you have other means of showering - fine. But the space can be utilized for other things when not in use.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts