Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm thinking of using one of the roof access holes at the front of the roof to run solar. I'd like to get a rubber grommet of some sort to protect the wires going through there from rubbing on the metal. Just wondering what size I should get, does anybody have dimensions per chance? I'd like to get the grommet before opening up the seal so I can get it all done in one day without needing to run to a store. Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 HR EXT Gas Cargo single battery; Renogy 2x170ah, Renogy Flex Panels 2x175watt, DCC50S
75 Posts
Following. I think folks might have mentioned 1/2 inch in threads I've seen

·
Registered
2015 3.5L EB 148 Highroof Extended
93 Posts
Sorry, I don't know the size of the hole in the sheet metal. The threads are M8 and the hole is a fair bit larger than the threads. So something close to 1/2" probably. For what it's worth I'd just drill a new hole and get a proper water proof pass though fitting the the wire.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sorry, I don't know the size of the hole in the sheet metal. The threads are M8 and the hole is a fair bit larger than the threads. So something close to 1/2" probably. For what it's worth I'd just drill a new hole and get a proper water proof pass though fitting the the wire.
People are so scared to drill a hole in the skin. In a 1500 mile van I have done flare spaces, 2 maxairs and just finishing up an awning mount. next, solar panel wires, and need to cut in a water fill. Fresh holes!! Of course i drill hole in multi million dollar yachts all the time. Ain't Scared, lol.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
564 Posts
Not what you're asking... but may be worth considering the "cable gland" things - then you can drill a decent-sized hole, use a proper grommet, and be assured it's water-tight. 🤷‍♀️
Example: https://amzn.com/B01CSEA9KG

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
The round holes are .75" diameter. You might also consider our very low profile solar entry puck.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts