Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to address this issue and haven't encountered anyone locally that has it.
Any of you fellow transiteers encounter an obnoxious whistling sound that appears to come from the mirrors? At least I think it's the mirrors because it is audible on both sides and only noticed when the windows are down and during sporadic driving occasions.
I'm getting older so it's possible it's aliens or voices inside my head, but if that is the case, the voices are getting louder because other passengers can hear it also. Its awful at times and I can't figure it out.

Love to know if anyone else has this and if anything can/ has been done to remedy it.

I've got the medium roof T250 with standard mirrors and motion windows in the rear.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Please tell me you've already ruled out the turbos.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Not sure where to address this issue and haven't encountered anyone locally that has it.
Any of you fellow transiteers encounter an obnoxious whistling sound that appears to come from the mirrors? At least I think it's the mirrors because it is audible on both sides and only noticed when the windows are down and during sporadic driving occasions.
I'm getting older so it's possible it's aliens or voices inside my head, but if that is the case, the voices are getting louder because other passengers can hear it also. Its awful at times and I can't figure it out.

Love to know if anyone else has this and if anything can/ has been done to remedy it.

I've got the medium roof T250 with standard mirrors and motion windows in the rear.

Thanks for the input.
I think I have a similar sound but I think mine only occurs on the pass. side. I thought it was the seatbelt, as I only get it when that seat is empty.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The first summer I noticed a sound at, say, above 50mph. It was not loud and only bothered me until I decided it is just a wind caused whistle or maybe I would say a droning sound. Like you, I only hear it when windows are open, but mine isn't loud enough to be an issue to me.

·
Registered
541 Posts
It's certainly the turbo whistle for me. Unlike most (apparently) I do NOT like it! :p

I've insulated to the point I can only hear it when the window is open. It's also not consistent, as it depends greatly on engine load and RPM.

Of course since I added the solar panels to the roof rack the low rumbling wind noise from those obscures just about all other noises completely once above 45... Gotta figure out something to quiet those back down!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
You shouldn't be able to hear it woth windows up at all. No insulation needed. With down after it warms up you still shouldn't hear it.

I only hear mine on cold startup for a few seconds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please tell me you've already ruled out the turbos.

Definitely not the turbos, although I appreciate the consideration. This whistling sound is more consistent with the wind traveling around a mirror or a window. The sound isn't always constant but it does seem to only occur at speeds over 40 mph. I suspect it comes from the mirror as I tried folding them in and didn't experience it. I'm gonna try taping off the seams and see if it makes a difference.
I was mostly curious if anyone else is experiencing it on their vans.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes. It comes from the seal on the passengers door where the passenger door window is closet to the dash. At least in my transit. Haven't taken it to the dealer, but I can't fix it, except when I put a folded piece of paper there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes. It comes from the seal on the passengers door where the passenger door window is closet to the dash. At least in my transit. Haven't taken it to the dealer, but I can't fix it, except when I put a folded piece of paper there.
Interesting. I have a mild whistle that increases in pitch with either speed or RPM. I hear it best over about 45 MPH on very smooth pavement. May I ask: where exactly are you placing this paper? Do you mean you wedge it into the rubber molding? Thank you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts