Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been e-mailing with Greg and he said he has a vented window he can put in a high-top Transit for $870 installed. Similar to the one in this Sprinter he said: https://www.vanspecialties.com/gallery_van/just-2-us/.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this shop? I'm from the bay area but was heading up to Portland in a month or so, so this would be perfect.

Or, does anyone know of any other shops on the West Coast that can source and install a window in a high-top Transit? The only other I know of is Sportsmobile in Fresno, but they're pricey.

· Registered
245 Posts
I've been to their shop. There is another member here who has a magnetic metallic transit that had them install a vent window. Currently CRL has not finished their window production for the new transits. So you get a window that is smaller than the stock opening and won't necessarily line up with the lines of the van. It's an aesthetics thing and up to the buyer.

Windows like the ones hat replace factory Windows won't be ready till later, maybe next month.

· Registered
14 Posts
I have used van specialties a couple of times. I am happy with their work so far. The first visit they installed a maxair fan, cabin batteries, and a fuse panel. The second visit they installed the Wabasto gasoline heater. Both installations were well done and timely. For smaller jobs, they have been able to fit me into their schedule and complete the work in a day or two.

I live in Portland and, but work in Tualatin, so Van Specialties is very convenient for me. I can drop off my van before work and pick it up in the evening.

-Jeff

· Registered
765 Posts
It's a good shop. Had my rear captain's chairs installed by them. Expensive, but pretty good quality work.
JP

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

· Registered
14 Posts
It was pretty expensive. I think somewhere around $2K installed with a nice digital thermostat. I looked at adding propane instead, which would have been closer to $1,500 installed. But, I like the idea of having only one fuel source on board. The heater works really well. We've camped in pretty cold temps. (<25 F) in central Oregon and stayed warm and comfortable.

· Registered
22 Posts
Been e-mailing with Greg and he said he has a vented window he can put in a high-top Transit for $870 installed. Similar to the one in this Sprinter he said: https://www.vanspecialties.com/gallery_van/just-2-us/.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this shop? I'm from the bay area but was heading up to Portland in a month or so, so this would be perfect.

Or, does anyone know of any other shops on the West Coast that can source and install a window in a high-top Transit? The only other I know of is Sportsmobile in Fresno, but they're pricey.
Yes, see my discussion under "T150 Conversion".

· Registered
174 Posts
Had my van built there, some detail is on their website (https://www.vanspecialties.com/gallery_van/dark-star/). I have smaller CRL windows on slider/opposite and 10"x30" windows at the back bed. I prefer the look of the all-glass windows, but from what I understand in talking with some sprinter folks, the awning windows are questionably secure, so am good with my setup. Had the build for abt 8 months now with quite a few long trips logged with no issues. Good construction, very flexible for customization, and far more reasonably priced than other builders.

· Registered
1,450 Posts
You can get the equivalent window installed by Motion Window for about half the price. I became disenchanted with Van Sp when they told me they use regular fiberglass insulation in their camper builds. For the money they charge they should be offering Thinsulate or something better than crappy fiberglass IMO!

Attachments

· Registered
48 Posts
Van Specialties near PDX

I stopped in there about six months ago because I was curious about all of the Mercedes vans parked there (about 40). When I was checking out their showroom, a nice lady asked if I needed help and I inquired if they converted Transits. She said a few, but allowed that their business had focused on the Mercedes and related vans for some time. Apparently, they have been in business since the 70s.

The lady, who I assumed was an owner or at least a senior, long time employee, gave me a tour of their production area and I can confirm they were using regular household pink insulation, but the workmanship seemed to be top notch and the finished units are spectacular inside. I priced a removable aluminum platform bed, but the $2,000 price, while fair, was out of my budget.

With Van Specialties and Quadra Van being relatively local to the Portland area, if I were to sell the farm and retire, I would strongly consider having them build me a top shelf Mercedes or Transit 4x4, but for now, I'll just keep rolling my own.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.