Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

1st post here, I'm in the market for a Transit and haven't decided on 3.7 vs eco, pretty sure it'll be a 148/Medium. I also haven't decided on new vs used, with that said is there any specific year or year/engine combination that is particularly better or worse?

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
They are almost exactly the same from 2015-2019. Other than a sticker saying what year the van is, there will be no difference. That's how Ford rolls.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. To elaborate a little further, with this being a fairly new product to the market I'm hoping to learn about any issues that might've been associated with the early models and if those issues could not be resolved. I've stumbled across a couple minor issues but i think they were all resolved with recalls.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The main difference is on the 2015 where the rear view camera is a option and starting in 2016 it is standard. The rear view will be from the corner of the rear view mirror on non-CD radios, in the instrument cluster in a 4" screen on all of the CD radio options, and in a 6" screen with the SYNC 3 Navigation.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I seem to recall reading that 2015 cargo vans did not have front side airbags. Perhaps CrewVanMan can comment.

Right, my T250 cargo has no air bags on the seat sides. Might have been an option; I bought mine from dealer stock.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
My 2015 custom order has front side airbags.
It also is a 6" screen nav mytouch, but with Sync2...which is kinda sucky.
But outside of an early issue with a popout window, been pretty trouble free.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
The main difference is on the 2015 where the rear view camera is a option and starting in 2016 it is standard. The rear view will be from the corner of the rear view mirror on non-CD radios, in the instrument cluster in a 4" screen on all of the CD radio options, and in a 6" screen with the SYNC 3 Navigation.
The rearview camera and other electronic gadgetry is not part of the drivetrain, which is what the question was about.
And besides, aftermarket audio/navigation is far superior at 1/4 the cost of anything a manufacturer has to offer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, mostly interested in mechanical problems but the rear camera was good to know about. If I go that old I'll make sure to look for the camera...

·
Registered
618 Posts
Plus, 2018 and later, the rear view is mounted near the roof, so better view.

Impression I get is that the van was almost identical in every year, but the bits that changed were the bits that broke or were annoying.

So likely an inherently better van the newer you go.

Once the 2020 comes out, might be so many folks going gaga, perhaps justifiably, over the new bits that demand will drop for the previous years and you will get a much better deal.

-

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"Once the 2020 comes out, might be so many folks going gaga, perhaps justifiably, over the new bits that demand will drop for the previous years and you will get a much better deal."

I wondered the same thing...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Are they particularly troublesome? Wasn't my first choice but there are a few used ones at decent prices.
The consensus with the diesel is that:
You can't idle very long without drastically reducing lifespan of some components
The emissions equipment reduced mpg to be only marginally better than gas
Higher maintenance cost per mile
Cost of diesel is higher than regular gas
It will take over 250-300k miles to "break even" on the purchase cost vs gas engine model, if ever.

If you have a business that buys bulk off-highway diesel (no tax) and you're comfortable using it in your on-highway vehicle, it might be a little cheaper to own and drive than gas.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts