Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
<stir> Classic case of turbo envy. >:D </stir>
OMG! I am so offended that you allude to a Freudian term associated with women in reference to me! Mere WOMEN! Where's my ladder so I can get into my monster truck and prove my masculinity by driving it to the store to buy manly things like meat and meat by-products? I'll show you, I'll show you ALL! :crying:

we have fun here.

But seriously, a universal Transit engine airbox would be a MUCH more profitable product than something made just for the ecoboost. If AFE is clever, and likes money, they could make both. I don't know if they are just a billet and clamp manufacturer, or if they can design and make/order injection molded parts as well.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
well, it creates JOBS by designing stuff like this. Think of all the jobs in the aftermarket industry making and selling function replacement airboxes! Maybe Ford just wants to create jobs...

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I'd love to hear how Ford justifies continuing to build them like that. That would be funny. Probably involves the air box engineer having pictures of the CEO enjoying the company of an underage goat.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Or perhaps some relative of the purchasing agent owns the company that makes the airboxes. Or they messed up and made a solid contract for X amount of units or years and can't get out of it. Once the lawsuits start coming about premature engine or system failures in they'll change their tune pretty fast. Or not. Look at GM.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
just a thought: the air filter is the airbox seal! perhaps the air filter manufacturer made the seal too thin, or used a lower grade of rubber, or some other manufacturing defect? (a few of us have no water in the airbox)
is it possible to cross reference the air filter to a different manufacturer and the try the said manufactures air filter? (like 'surely bill' already said: parts contracts are often locked in for a certain amount of time)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Do you guys have the drains in the wiper tray like I have on my 2016? Those things get plugged with just a small leaf and if they do the water slosh's over the edge and onto the airbox. They did add a diverter above the airbox on the wiper tray and in my case it seems to work.

In my opinion the airbox is the result of the problem but not the problem. I think if we can find a way to keep the drains clear then the problem with the airbox will go away. Nonetheless, it is a stupid design and Ford should own up to it and fix it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Air Filter cross reference
Wix:WA10316
Fram:CA11946
K&N:33-5024
Ford:CK4Z9601A (or FA1916?)

I have yet to receive my Transit 250... though I have spent many a night looking for every alternative consumable there is ;-)

For example:

Oil Filter
Amsoil:EAO17
Wix:57502
Donaldson: P577066
Baldwin:B7449
Ford:AA5Z6714A

Cabin Filter
Baldwin: PA30000? (I copied from another post, not my actual research...)
Fram:CF11743?

I'm still looking for an alternative to the transmission filter.
Isn't this 6R80 in some pickups? I can not find a listing anywhere. It can't only be in the Transit.
Ford:CK4Z7A098A (or FT-195?)

aFe makes a kick-a$$ transmission pan, #46-70170
Check it out. I am getting this for sure! Maybe they know an alternative supplier for the filter.
If the rear diff is anything like the Lightning 9.75", then aFe also makes a pan for that, #46-70152 (Other manufacturers also make a diff pan for the 9.75", too. Worth a look to compare) The 12-bolt holes sure do look the same.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Keep us posted - it'll be nice to have a solution that doesn't involve a hacked up dishpan.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm interested an aftermarket intake and/or cold air intake system for the 3.5l EB transit. Any updates from anyone here? Haven't found one myself yet.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I contacted them long ago and they were interested but apparently in no big hurry. Might be one of those wait for someone else to do it and copy their design type companies.

I’ve kinda lost hope that they will build it but I hope whoever does sells a ton of them.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Looks like the windshield trough could be a one piece item... anyone have a 3d printer? Or should I just make one out of Brazilian Cherry and use it as a template?

Then again, I wouldn't want to take jobs... great, luxurious, high paying jobs from Americans. I'll just sit on my ass an do nothing instead.

But seriously, I know that our vans aren't considered enthusiast vehicles by the aftermarket, like big pick ups, Jeeps, or muscle cars are. But it's really short sighted of the aftermarket to not include us. It's not all about performance, but a lot of the time, performance is a nice byproduct of engineering the parts properly in the first place.

It's kind of ridiculous that there is a huge aftermarket for my 09 G8 GT, and that car was only produced for two years in 08 and 09, yet there's squat for my Transit.

·
Registered
433 Posts
With you there, but why the cunts at ford can't just ship the thing with a proper airbox to begin with is the real question.
I built a T.U.R.D. for my air filter, plus a "Mini-T.U.R.D." for the electronic module on the driver's side. I used white containers, and labeled them clearly. Hope it gave the service guys a giggle when we had the oil changed - but something like that *should* make Ford cringe. It's pretty bad when an old lady has to retrofit her brand new van to protect it.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I built a T.U.R.D. for my air filter, plus a "Mini-T.U.R.D." for the electronic module on the driver's side. I used white containers, and labeled them clearly. Hope it gave the service guys a giggle when we had the oil changed - but something like that *should* make Ford cringe. It's pretty bad when an old lady has to retrofit her brand new van to protect it.
You got that right. First they screw up the airbox, then the "fix" is some ineffectual gutter upgrade. Laughable.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I contacted them long ago and they were interested but apparently in no big hurry. Might be one of those wait for someone else to do it and copy their design type companies.

I’ve kinda lost hope that they will build it but I hope whoever does sells a ton of them.
if enough of us that are serious in buying something like this send them messages, they might take us serious.
This very same thing is going on with another forum in having another company build us a factory intake. I might shoot them an email.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Would this help the poor thorottle response. I’m in the Detroit area and was going to talk to livernois Motorsport. Also I’d like to see if a tuner would help this. Does anyone else have this problem where you stomp on the go peddle and it takes a couple seconds to move? I know the turbo lag issues but not like this.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
No that will not help with the throttle response.

But there are tuners. I think 5 Star Tuning is one. It has been reported to provide better throttle response.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Would this help the poor thorottle response. I’m in the Detroit area and was going to talk to livernois Motorsport. Also I’d like to see if a tuner would help this. Does anyone else have this problem where you stomp on the go peddle and it takes a couple seconds to move? I know the turbo lag issues but not like this.

I’d say if you can talk to Livernois Motorsport please do for all of us. There’s a bunch of us who have contacted AFE and they keep saying they will eventually do one but someone will make a lot of money once they do .....I’m tired of waiting on AFE.

If someone could fix the water intrusion problem for good and also increase performance I’d be voting with my dollars today.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm interested if they make one. Not going to hold my breath tho. I might fab up my own with 2 separate filters. One coming off each turbo.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts