Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...mated to the 10 speed transition will perform versus the 2019 and older models (both the 3.7 and the 3.5 EcoBoost)?

Me and my family just test-drove 130" low roof passenger transit with EcoBoost and loved it (dare I say, fun?), but we're intrigued by AWD in the 2020 models. Its my understanding that the 130" low roof vans will NOT get the EcoBoost option for 2020. We're on the fence about whether to pull the trigger on a discounted 2019 w/ EcoBoost or wait for 2020 with AWD. If the new 3.5 + 10-speed transmission is snappy in city driving, we may just wait. Its just a guess, but I'm sure we're not alone. This is for Michigan driving.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I just posted a link to the 2020 order guide.
The new 3.5 has about the same horsepower and torque as the 3.7l. The 10 speed will give it more mileage. The 3.5l ecoboost however is not an option with the AWD.
I have the 3.7l and it has plenty of get up and go though.

Just looked at the order guide and I think that you are correct. No ecoboost for the 130" passenger low roof regardless of AWD or not

·
Registered
139 Posts
I chose to go with the 2019 for several reasons. One of them being that I didn't like having a more complex 10 speed that was still "new" in the world of transmissions. Yes its been developing for a while and its been installed F150s etc. But its still not as proven as the 6 speed. I also didn't want to feel a shift up or down so frequently. I know over the course of time 6 speed will fade away. But for now the 10 speed in my eyes still needs some fine tuning. As mentioned earlier, if the 3.5 PFDI and 3.7L have the same HP and torque I would go with the 3.7L as its less complex (albeit small difference) than the new 3.5 PFDI. Other reasons I went with 2019 was for the incentives and I didn't feel like waiting an additional 4 months or so to get a 2020 ordered. Not the mention the price increase of roughly 5% and who knows how much more will be added once the new union agreements set in.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! Sounds like the new 3.5 will must be a more efficient version of the 3.7. But definitely not near as snappy as the ecoboost.

For my situation, no chance I get the 148. We live in small city USA and this is a daily family vehicle that will get used for 5-7 road trips a year and needs to fit in the garage. My wife LOVED the ecoboost in the test drive. She said it made if feel snappy around town and gave her more confidence on the highway for ramp entry and passing situations. But as mentioned, we’re in MI and will be replacing an old Expedition that dropped a cylinder. Not having 4wd is the only question-mark. This is new territory for us.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I chose to go with the 2019 for several reasons. One of them being that I didn't like having a more complex 10 speed that was still "new" in the world of transmissions. Yes its been developing for a while and its been installed F150s etc. But its still not as proven as the 6 speed. I also didn't want to feel a shift up or down so frequently. I know over the course of time 6 speed will fade away. But for now the 10 speed in my eyes still needs some fine tuning. As mentioned earlier, if the 3.5 PFDI and 3.7L have the same HP and torque I would go with the 3.7L as its less complex (albeit small difference) than the new 3.5 PFDI. Other reasons I went with 2019 was for the incentives and I didn't feel like waiting an additional 4 months or so to get a 2020 ordered. Not the mention the price increase of roughly 5% and who knows how much more will be added once the new union agreements set in.

Hope that helps.
I'm not worried about the transmission but I hate the high pressure fuel pumps of direct injection engines for both expense and the probability of failure. Times ten for the tubos.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Thanks everyone! Sounds like the new 3.5 will must be a more efficient version of the 3.7. But definitely not near as snappy as the ecoboost.
For my situation, no chance I get the 148. We live in small city USA and this is a daily family vehicle that will get used for 5-7 road trips a year and needs to fit in the garage. My wife LOVED the ecoboost in the test drive. She said it made if feel snappy around town and gave her more confidence on the highway for ramp entry and passing situations. But as mentioned, we’re in MI and will be replacing an old Expedition that dropped a cylinder. Not having 4wd is the only question-mark. This is new territory for us.
Then it sounds like for you it comes down to this decision:
A: get the ecoboost wagon now at a good price, but not have AWD
B: wait many months for a 2020 that has AWD but compromises the engine you like and will cost more $

Either way, you'll be thrilled with the Transit!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
EcoBoost costs more, so not getting it helps pay for AWD or 2020 price increase.

The 3.5 PFDI should be a simpler engine, and more fuel efficient in normal use due to lower power, so I’d expect additional savings there too.

I would still like to see details on 3.5 PDFI but like what I’ve seen so far. I always wondered why Ford wouldn’t just build an EcoBoost minus the Turbos, and now they essentially have. Obviously it should have higher compression ratio which is good for fuel economy. I just hope Ford builds it as tough as EB so it can operate at high torque indefinitely if needed.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The 3.5 PFDI should be a simpler engine, and more fuel efficient in normal use due to lower power, so I’d expect additional savings there too.
3.5l pfdi is both direct and port injection.
It has a high pressure fuel pump that typically runs at 700 to 2,000 psi. Expensive to replace.
It is less complicated than the ecoboost but is FAR more complicated than the3.7l and all for the same power as the 3.7l.

You will be waiting a while for the AWD.

Get a current one and put good snow tires on in the winter. 2wd with snow tires is better than awd with all seasons.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Get a current one and put good snow tires on in the winter. 2wd with snow tires is better than AWD with all seasons.
This is so true. Don't forget, a skillful driver is also important. My wife always gets struck on our driveway and I don't really know what is her problems , but I keep my comments to myself....hahaaaa.

Regardless, I will wait for the AWD. I hate changing over to snow tires in the winter and have no place to store them. >:D

·
Registered
279 Posts
I don't mean to suade you from what you want to do. I am strongly considering changing up to an AWD t150 10 passenger.
Message CrewVanMan. Ask what his opinion the earliest an AWD can be ordered and DELIVERED.
Sounds like something happened to your vehicle, so you will probably need another sooner than later.
By the way, the oem continentals suck in snow.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
the 3.5 mated to the 10 speed should squeeze out 1-2mpg better performance. I'd have preferred the proven 2.5 or 2.7 ecoboost engines as base engine; they have as much HP as 3.7 and more torque. With 20-30% less displacement, so a possible 20mpg van. Crossing my fingers for a 2.5/2.7 ecoboost plug-in hybrid in the near future.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you looking for a LR 130" WB 8 passenger or 10 passenger van? Best to let me locate a 2019 if you know the options you want on it.
Thanks for chiming in: LR 130, 10-passenger, EcoBoost, Barn-doors (seems easier for young kids to handle + I've heard they're quieter), Sync 3, tinted windows, tow hitch. Nice to have: leather w/heated seats, limited slip (I live in MI - you tell me if it is necessary).

Not sure what other items are "options" - it seems like everything is an "option" these days. I take for granted that rear window defrost is standard, but may not be.

We're A-plan and still deciding whether AWD and some of the new options are worth it for 2020.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Here are some you can look at with 10 passenger seating. About a month ago there were about 10 so these are getting picked up quickly as Transit buyers for these models know about the 3.5L EcoBoost going away from similar models in 2020. There are actually more of the LR 130" with the sliding door (29).

Ketterhagen Motors, Whitewater, WI..VIN...KKA30444
Gene Butman Ford, Ypsilanti, MI..VIN...KKA91982
Dutro Ford, Zanesville, OH..VIN...KKA52404
Steve Coury Ford, Star Valley, AZ..VIN...KKA70596

·
Registered
1 Posts
1.) Regarding AWD vs 2WD: the traction control feature on newer vehicles, plus a limited-slip differential works amazingly well in snow.

2.) If you make a deal with a tire shop before you buy your van, most will give you a decent credit for your new tires, so that you can upgrade to tires that have better grip in snow. See Consumer Reports for their recommendations.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
3.5l pfdi is both direct and port injection.
It has a high pressure fuel pump that typically runs at 700 to 2,000 psi. Expensive to replace.
It is less complicated than the ecoboost but is FAR more complicated than the3.7l and all for the same power as the 3.7l.

You will be waiting a while for the AWD.

Get a current one and put good snow tires on in the winter. 2wd with snow tires is better than awd with all seasons.
I was comparing to 3.5 EB, not 3.7L naturally aspirated engine, based on the post that preceded mine. While I don’t like to quote on every comment, I can see how it avoids taking posts out of context.

I’m not an EcoBoost fan, particularly in a V6 with twin turbos. Would never buy one. The farthest I’d go would be an in-line 4-cyl or preferably inline-6 with one turbo at most. A NA in-line 6 around 3L would be plenty of power for me if only there was enough space/length for one.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts