Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Order 10/4/21 - W3U T350 AWD - Avalanche Gray from Keith @ Pittsville
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a few posts here about FVC products; the company is well received here (ladders, roof racks, etc).
I've yet to hear about the bed system though. It's expensive, maybe that's why there are 0 reviews on their website and here. It's $2100 for the bed, plus $575 for the bed rails. So all in, $2675...

Does anyone have experience with this system in a newer (2020+) transit?

I know there are endless DIY solutions and I could save a ton of money by going that route. Just curious at this point as I look at and compare off-the-shelf solutions.

·
Registered
93 Posts
$2675 ? Plus shipping ? For a bed platform ?
I'm in the wrong business !
Dave

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
For the platform part. Ikea Lonset
$90 / adjustable firmness / 20 lbs / lighter, better ventilated and less work than plywood.
Should also allow the use of a thinner mattress (?) saving even more weight (and $$)
Will need to DIY a frame
(I picked up one with a Skorva beam for $40 on Craigslist :))

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
1,690 Posts
No experience with that kit. Did something similar with our last van - which allowed taking it apart to use as a "truck" very easily.

Last rig, used these for the side mounts: McMaster-Carr
Then three platforms from tube-aluminum - if doing it today, I'd use 30mm t-slot (8020 - also in 6-foot).

It would be a very similar setup, take a day or two to build, and cost ~$700? Still a lot more money than the Ikea route or wood. But very solid and still pretty easy to disassemble if that's the goal.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
It would be a very similar setup, take a day or two to build, and cost ~$700? Still a lot more money than the Ikea route or wood. But very solid and still pretty easy to disassemble if that's the goal.
In my case Ikea route is just for the platform. Framing will be part of the unitized 8020 structure.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
1,690 Posts
In my case Ikea route is just for the platform. Framing will be part of the unitized 8020 structure.
Might not be what you're looking for... but a friend did his Sprinter bed with 1010 aluminum spaced so they sagged enough to be a bit of that "give" that the Ikea thing is doing. Seemed odd at first, but makes sense, I guess.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Might not be what you're looking for... but a friend did his Sprinter bed with 1010 aluminum spaced so they sagged enough to be a bit of that "give" that the Ikea thing is doing. Seemed odd at first, but makes sense, I guess.
Well, not exactly. The Ikea slats are convex, so when they flex under the weight they will be flat(ish).. The nice thing is that the slats are adjustable so you can make different parts of the bed softer or firmer and his and since the queen is 2 separate frame each side is independently adjustable. FYI 10 series with 2 closed side is is as stiff in that plane as 15 series with 4 slots. If you don't need the slots it will save 1/2" in the bed height. IIRC the weight is about the same. In my case not sure it is worthwhile given the difficulty of tying it in with the rest of my structure and not doing so would require redundant elements. 25 series is a nice Goldilocks size, but the 15 series seems to have a lot more options for suppliers and it also has the widest range of component.

·
Registered
2021 HR 148” Long AWD 350
5 Posts
We have the FVC bed in our rig. $$$$ yes. There are a ton of cheaper DIY options, but it was an easy, attractive, sturdy option for us.

They ship quickly. It was a quick install. Their supplied hardware is erratic, but that was no big deal. The mounting frame is attached with bolts in existing van holes and rivets. At the very least, you’ll need a rivet gun for steel rivets. We use rivnuts in the existing van holes - as per FarOutRide guidance - which required a long rivnut gun.

The platform attaches to the mounting rails with 2 bolts per section. To keep these from backing out we’re using loctite + locking washers on the bolts.

In terms of sleep - we’ve laid a folding foam mattress across it. It’s comfortable.

We’ve got their ladder, rack, and 2 bike trays as well. Happy customer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We have the FVC bed in our rig. $$$$ yes. There are a ton of cheaper DIY options, but it was an easy, attractive, sturdy option for us.

They ship quickly. It was a quick install. Their supplied hardware is erratic, but that was no big deal. The mounting frame is attached with bolts in existing van holes and rivets. At the very least, you’ll need a rivet gun for steel rivets. We use rivnuts in the existing van holes - as per FarOutRide guidance - which required a long rivnut gun.

The platform attaches to the mounting rails with 2 bolts per section. To keep these from backing out we’re using loctite + locking washers on the bolts.

In terms of sleep - we’ve laid a folding foam mattress across it. It’s comfortable.

We’ve got their ladder, rack, and 2 bike trays as well. Happy customer.
Do you have any pictures of the "DIY Bed brackets" installed?

·
Registered
Silver 2020 250, HR 148, AWD ecoboost
44 Posts
Awesome thanks!
We bought the bed and ended up returning it. Flatline was awesome about everything, great customer service. Quality of the bed was great. The reason the bed didn’t work out for us was that the rails came into the van quite a bit off the walls to allow for the bed to be placed at different heights. In our situation we have modular setups and like to have the front platform in and out for seating. The rails felt dangerous to me when we had our rear seats in and the platform removed, head bangers for the kids. Flatline returned it no problem. I had already installed the brackets. We used those for a custom setup I built for awhile and have since gone with an adventure wagon L track setup on the walls. I ended up removing the brackets and plan to sell them if you’re interested? Anyway I may buy a rack from flatline just because they were so cool about everything.
FYI the platform I ended up coming up with I started from overland sprinter. They provide raw aluminum frames. I cut, welded some tabs on and drilled slotted holes in their rails to allow two height options and got everything powder coated.

Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive lighting Vehicle door

·
Registered
33 Posts
We bought the bed and ended up returning it. Flatline was awesome about everything, great customer service. Quality of the bed was great. The reason the bed didn’t work out for us was that the rails came into the van quite a bit off the walls to allow for the bed to be placed at different heights. In our situation we have modular setups and like to have the front platform in and out for seating. The rails felt dangerous to me when we had our rear seats in and the platform removed, head bangers for the kids. Flatline returned it no problem. I had already installed the brackets. We used those for a custom setup I built for awhile and have since gone with an adventure wagon L track setup on the walls. I ended up removing the brackets and plan to sell them if you’re interested? Anyway I may buy a rack from flatline just because they were so cool about everything.
FYI the platform I ended up coming up with I started from overland sprinter. They provide raw aluminum frames. I cut, welded some tabs on and drilled slotted holes in their rails to allow two height options and got everything powder coated.

View attachment 161182
Do you know if the rails will work with the factory rear ac? I can’t get a clear answer from FVC.

·
Registered
2021 HR 148” Long AWD 350
5 Posts
Do you know if the rails will work with the factory rear ac? I can’t get a clear answer from FVC.
The top rail attachment point in my crew bolts into the same hole where the headliner trim bolt attached. I assume it’s the same situation for the full headliner in the passenger. This is below where your air ducting (and air bags) would be. If you’re keeping the stock headliner, you will need to get creative. But it’s just a matter of trimming trim.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts