Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tackled a crew van conversion yet? I'm interested in what folks are doing about the headliner and airbags.

My original plan was to keep the headliner as-is, and just work on the empty back part, but now I think I'd like to remove the headliner so that I can run a new ceiling full-length.

Any pictures of a crew van with the headliner removed would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 350 AWD 148 HR CREW
73 Posts
Here you go. Im planning on keeping mine. Just going to add puck lights to the headliner and reinstall after I finish wiring.

If I change my mind down the road, I can always remove the headliner and build it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here you go. Im planning on keeping mine. Just going to add puck lights to the headliner and reinstall after I finish wiring.

If I change my mind down the road, I can always remove the headliner and build it out.
Awesome, thank you!

·
Registered
2021 Crew T350 AWD HR 148” Ecoboost
22 Posts
We are debating the same thing with our Crew van. Seems easiest for now to keep it as is and just work on the back area. But planning to take off the stock headliner for sound proofing and insulation at least.

·
Registered
2020 AWD 148" MR Crew
11 Posts
We are debating the same thing with our Crew van. Seems easiest for now to keep it as is and just work on the back area. But planning to take off the stock headliner for sound proofing and insulation at least.
I just did the back area on mine. Removed the headliner for sound proofing and thinsulate and reinstalled.

·
Registered
2021 Crew T350 AWD HR 148” Ecoboost
22 Posts
I just did the back area on mine. Removed the headliner for sound proofing and thinsulate and reinstalled.
That looks great, pretty similar to what I am planning.

What material(s) did you use for your side paneling? and ceiling? And how did you attach those larger side panels? I like being able to utilize the indents for a few more inches of horizontal space.

·
Registered
2020 AWD 148" MR Crew
11 Posts
That looks great, pretty similar to what I am planning.

What material(s) did you use for your side paneling? and ceiling? And how did you attach those larger side panels? I like being able to utilize the indents for a few more inches of horizontal space.
I used 1/4" marine ply, with 1/8" Landau padding and a Sunbrella marine tweed fabric. For the larger side panels I used some 1x2" expanded PVC strips, adhered with 3m 4200 to the Van...then attached the panels with 3m Dual lock strips. I thought I would try the Dual Lock first, and if it didn't work I could just screw them in...but the panels haven't moved at all. Very solid.

·
Registered
38 Posts
We are also only finishing the back part but did do insulation under the headliner. We currently have the Thinsulate insulation, flooring, bed, sliding bike trays, and Maxxfair completed, and I'm about to start on the electrical, cedar ceiling, wall paneling, and cabinetry. Also plan on installing some swivel seats and replacing the 3 person bench with a 2 person bench. You can see pictures and follow the build here.

Login • Instagram

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A few pics of a recent crew van build.
Thinsulate above stock headliner, and puck lights.
I think I prefer to start with a cargo....
View attachment 152594
View attachment 152593
View attachment 152595 View attachment 152596
Wow, very nice!!

I hear you on starting with a cargo. Cleaner slate, more options when ordering. If I didn't have kids in the back I'd have definitely gone cargo, but I wanted those airbags. Maybe when the kids move out of home I'll disable the airbags and convert the rest of the van.

It looks like you carpeted the plastic endcap, is that right? Clever design decision, it looks great!

·
Registered
2020 AWD 148" MR Crew
11 Posts
What did you use for your roof panel? Looks like one piece. Also, how did you Secure the panel near the factory headliner trim piece?

Looks really nice!
Thanks Jay808.
For the roof I used the same as the side panels...1/4" ply, 1/8"closed cell padding, and the Sunbrella fabric. It's 2 pieces. The rear piece is secured with plus nuts, and the forward section just slides up on top of that piece (about 6" or so) and is secured at the factory headliner by just some aluminum angle adhered to the plastic headliner by 3m Dual Lock. It's very light at the front, maybe only a couple of pounds . I thought I'd just try this temporarily but it has worked out great and hasn't moved at all. My goal for the van was to make everything to be easily removable, in case I wanted to return to stock or change things around at a later time. The only things that I won't be able to change are the Maxxfan and the Espar B4L heater.

·
Registered
2020 T250 AWD Crew LWB HR (hopefully I'll get it by...)
55 Posts
A few pics of a recent crew van build.
Thinsulate above stock headliner, and puck lights.
I think I prefer to start with a cargo....

View attachment 152593
View attachment 152595
I see you added the interior panel behind the passenger seats. That looks so much better than a partially completed panel. What is the part numbers for those pieces? And did you order it from the dealer or somewhere else? TIA

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been banging away at our crew van for a while. Currently leaving the middle headliner in place, but it's just a matter of time until I get rid of it. I plan on doing some framing above the airbags, but will leave them open (barring some light fabric held in place with velcro) in front and below. That should allow bins to be placed above them (high roof), matching the roof material, etc.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts