Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ours have a hidden switch to disable the Brake Shift Interlock circuit, F4 on the BCM. Even with the key in and engine running, it won't go into gear. Just use a fuse extension adapter and splice into one of the wires
i used forscan to do this in my 2020 Edge. When the key is not present, e.g. when i get out to go to the mailbox, the car cannot be shifted out of park. i assume that you would need the passive entry option on the transit to be able to do that though.

·
Premium Member
350HD XLT DRW Eco, Quadvan 4X4, 4.10 Eaton Truetracs front and rear, Backwoods bumper, Warn winch
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
First I would remove the Quadvan stickers without them no one would know it was a 4x4. A tracker like the Spot Trace would be number two. The Trace is very accurate and does not need cell coverage and it will even work inside warehouses and other buildings with thin roofs, it worked from inside Johns shop at Quadvan for example. It can be set to ping every one minute so you will get a nice track of where your van went. Ideally put it up on the roof where it is not easily accessible or there are a few other good places if you have a low roof or ladder. The trace will send a text or email when the van is moved to alert you. Also handy if you have to give the van to someone for service. I knew my Quadvan conversion was done before they called me because I got an alert and saw that the van was at the alignment shop

I am looking at a adding hidden switch to disrupt the enable circuit from the BCM to the PCM that should result in a crank no start. I am not sure yet if I will cut into the harness or just bypass the fuse. Either way it will deter or at least slow down street hoods with a flathead screwdriver from starting the van. The tracker will work against tow truck thieves.

For carjackers let them take the van and let the cops have the tracker info, they won't get too far.
The backwood front bumper and Warn winch kinda gives it away. I did contact my insurer and raise my coverage though. I also plan to install a hidden GPS tracker, but there are so many to choose from. I'll look into the Spot Trace though, thanks!

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
They stole my pickup truck for the sole purpose of stealing the engine out of it, The truck was recovered fours later without the radiator, Engine and transmission.
The same truck had a "hidden" ignition disable switch, Do not mount the switch anywhere on or under the dash.

·
Registered
22 148 Cargo M Roof AWD Oxford white .
410 Posts
If you have PATS 2020 later Transits is it still worth while to get like a Ravelco
installed?? I don‘t live in city but time away when out for hikes and such
van being left at trailhead during day lite hours

·
Registered
593 Posts
Where do you live? Detroit? You should move if those are real worries...........
I was thinking the same thing. I'd hate to have to worry about that crap. My van is in the driveway with the keys in it. I only lock it at Walmart, Lowes or the boat ramp. If it crosses my mind that I forgot to lock it, I just keep going and do my shopping. It's always been there when I'm finished. Sometimes if it's real hot I leave it running but I do lock it then. Carjackers and car thieves should just be hung from the closest tree. Don't you have trees there?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Ours have a hidden switch to disable the Brake Shift Interlock circuit, F4 on the BCM. Even with the key in and engine running, it won't go into gear. Just use a fuse extension adapter and splice into one of the wires
View attachment 177025
View attachment 177024

You can do the same for the fuel pump fuse in the engine bay.
I thought about doing this with a relay for security and to ensure the vehicle can't be driven with shore power connected, but turns out it's extremely easy to move the interlock with a flat head. Better than nothing though, and I'll probably still do it, but the interlock is just a tiny piece of white plastic that's easy to move and right under the snap-on shifter cover. You have to count on the thief being unaware of how interlocks work.

I like the fuel pump idea, it's an old and common trick because it works, but I might try to interrupt the circuit in a less obvious location than the commonly used fuse box.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. I'd hate to have to worry about that crap. My van is in the driveway with the keys in it. I only lock it at Walmart, Lowes or the boat ramp. If it crosses my mind that I forgot to lock it, I just keep going and do my shopping.
I think the thing is that some people travel in their vans. That means that even if they live in the poshest of neighborhoods, they travel out of them. If they hike, they use trailheads. Or maybe they want to visit a National Monument and have to use the parking lot there. Or stop at a Walmart enroute for groceries and they don't have time to research the demographics of the neighborhood. Or even sometimes there is a breakdown and the vehicle has to stay at a dealer or shop that is not in the owner's secure and well-known residential neighborhood.

It does suck to have to worry about it when traveling.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Have to say, posting what fuses and whatnot for how you install anti theft devices on your van is like posting a “how to steal a transit camper van” manual online for any thieves who care to do a 10 minute google search before trying to steal one…

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
As for switches, I think that's a very good DIY solution. But in these days of internets you may need to get a bit sneaky about it. Just pulling a fuse or having a switch connect via the fuse box will be easy to see. Find an unlikely section of the wire loom to splice in wires for a switch. Maybe do a series of switches so it takes more than one to allow current, or even switches wired in such a way that 3 or more all need to be in the correct position to allow current; 1st up, next two down, etc.

As mentioned, you're far more likely to have the van broken in to and the stuff stolen than you are the whole van. But, every week on the local Next Door app, someone posts about their work truck getting stolen from in front of their house (no transits yet).

·
Super Moderator
4,552 Posts
I seriously doubt the average
Have to say, posting what fuses and whatnot for how you install anti theft devices on your van is like posting a “how to steal a transit camper van” manual online for any thieves who care to do a 10 minute google search before trying to steal one…
Valid point, yet you assume a level of intelligence beyond the average car thief. If they are beyond average, they will find a way no matter what we try. My personal application is intended to keep someone from jumping in and taking off, not researching stuff on the internets.

Van thief:
Gee this won't go in gear, I bet they put a switch in to interrupt the brake shift interlock circuit, let me look up what fuse that is and grab the extra one I keep in my pocket.

·
Premium Member
350HD XLT DRW Eco, Quadvan 4X4, 4.10 Eaton Truetracs front and rear, Backwoods bumper, Warn winch
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
If you have PATS 2020 later Transits is it still worth while to get like a Ravelco
installed?? I don‘t live in city but time away when out for hikes and such
van being left at trailhead during day lite hours
I live near several trailheads. There's one in particular that shows up on the Sheriff's Blotter 2 or 3 times a week with either a break-in or vandalism report. It's the one all the flatlanders know about, and there's no way I'd leave an unattended vehicle there. The lesser known trails never have any problems that I know of, but I still wouldn't venture out of eyesight from my van. With the 4x4 conversion I have a little more leeway, but I also have more to lose. I think a good GPS tracker is going to be my first priority.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It might seem ridiculous in comparison to some of your solutions however, I use the club in my van. It might not be the ultimate solution however, it serves as a visual deterrence and it’s easy to use in even the shortest stop.
Just a note: I have had a van stolen in the past and it’s a bummer….

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
As for switches, I think that's a very good DIY solution. But in these days of internets you may need to get a bit sneaky about it. Just pulling a fuse or having a switch connect via the fuse box will be easy to see. Find an unlikely section of the wire loom to splice in wires for a switch. Maybe do a series of switches so it takes more than one to allow current, or even switches wired in such a way that 3 or more all need to be in the correct position to allow current; 1st up, next two down, etc.

As mentioned, you're far more likely to have the van broken in to and the stuff stolen than you are the whole van. But, every week on the local Next Door app, someone posts about their work truck getting stolen from in front of their house (no transits yet).
I seldom have much worth taking in my van. The main reason it would be very tempting to steal is the 4x4 conversion. I think a good well-hidden GPS tracker would be money well spent. Is there any particular brand that is preferred?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Does your van not work with the Ford App? I guess if older than 2020 you don't have that GPS built in.

LoJack is still a viable product

Internet search says Spytec is the best tracker you self install

·
Registered
22 Posts
Like cwkasey, I use a good ‘ol Club on the steering wheel and remove an ignition fuse in the under hood fuse box. I take my van to Baja several times a year for dirt biking trips where the van will sit unattended anywhere from 1-10 days. So far(🤞) no issues. I did the same thing with my previous E-350 Club Wagon (a favorite for cartels as a mass transit vehicle), and a B-300 Tradesman. All told, about 30 years‘ track record with no missing vans. It’s the old adage: Make your van less appealing than someone else’s… while giving yourself some piece of mind that you did something to deter thieves. The Club on the steering wheel is nice because it can discourage a would-be thief from breaking a window in the first place.

·
Registered
2019 Transit cargo, HR, 3.5 Eco, Quigley 4X4, “Vandemic”
239 Posts
I have a GPS and Track.com (Home - GPS Tracking) unit in our van. The tracker costs $119 and a $55 install at an auto/sound shop. I can check the van location anytime I want. No service fees. I also had a Ravelco device installed, as well. Hope they never are needed …..

21 - 40 of 45 Posts