Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
350HD XLT DRW Eco, Quadvan 4X4, 4.10 Eaton Truetracs front and rear, Backwoods bumper, Warn winch
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had Quadvan do a complete 4x4 conversion on my transit, raising its value considerably. Now I'm concerned that someone else might like it as much as I do, so I'm looking for ways to disable it when it's parked. I'm thinking a hidden toggle switch that shuts off power to the fuel pump would be simple but effective, but I haven't looked yet to determine the best place to tap into the circuit... fuse block perhaps, or would that be too obvious?

I'm also considering the possibility of getting jacked at an intersection. In that case I'd want the van to still run, but only long enough for the temporary new owners to drive it for about five minutes before the engine shut off and a siren is activated. This should be easily accomplished with a double pole time delay relay. Has anyone done this and care to share their experience?

·
Premium Member
350HD XLT DRW Eco, Quadvan 4X4, 4.10 Eaton Truetracs front and rear, Backwoods bumper, Warn winch
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, I live in a remote and pretty secure location on the Left Coast. The chances of anyone stealing it from my home are extremely remote, but there's no telling what could happen if I parked it somewhere else, or went off roading and decided to go exploring on foot. Crime is increasing rapidly everywhere and it's only going to get worse. I figure my Transit is worth $80-90K today, and I'd kinda like to keep it.

I'm guessing your fob unlocks your van with NFT or RFID. They wouldn't do it with your front camera.

·
Registered
268 Posts
As others have pointed out before the pump primes more often than when the door unlocks. I don't pay attention to it but it happens pretty randomly either in the driveway or at camp. Ghost in the machine.

If someone is stupid enough to steal my six figure van I can track them with the Ford app. Not sure how they could steal it if I had the keys anyway. Carjacking? Lol hope you die quickly fool.

Get a Ravelco. Lots of Sportsmobile folks got them because the Econoline is super easy to steal.

·
Registered
22 148 Cargo M Roof AWD Oxford white .
410 Posts
At least don‘t go over nite back packing trip on foot and leave the Van
parked all nite at trail head, that at least will make it less risky, I like to day hike
way no I would never leave the van overnite anywhere those days are over..
Trail head theft is mega problem here Wa state, vehicle theft and tire theft
mostly happen at nite, smash and grab any time

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
I figure my Transit is worth $80-90K today, and I'd kinda like to keep it.
My go to response. Low deductible comprehensive insurance is cheap (at least in my low crime zip code) . Also cover apparently break prone windshield, animal stikes and the fire for when you propane or lithium explodes. At least that's my policy. Property loss would be my last concern with a car jacking. But again, financially, comprehensive should cover that.

Boy the West Coast sure does sound F'd up.

·
Registered
2018 Mid roof 148 Camper Quadvan 4X4
18 Posts
First I would remove the Quadvan stickers without them no one would know it was a 4x4. A tracker like the Spot Trace would be number two. The Trace is very accurate and does not need cell coverage and it will even work inside warehouses and other buildings with thin roofs, it worked from inside Johns shop at Quadvan for example. It can be set to ping every one minute so you will get a nice track of where your van went. Ideally put it up on the roof where it is not easily accessible or there are a few other good places if you have a low roof or ladder. The trace will send a text or email when the van is moved to alert you. Also handy if you have to give the van to someone for service. I knew my Quadvan conversion was done before they called me because I got an alert and saw that the van was at the alignment shop

I am looking at a adding hidden switch to disrupt the enable circuit from the BCM to the PCM that should result in a crank no start. I am not sure yet if I will cut into the harness or just bypass the fuse. Either way it will deter or at least slow down street hoods with a flathead screwdriver from starting the van. The tracker will work against tow truck thieves.

For carjackers let them take the van and let the cops have the tracker info, they won't get too far.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I just had Quadvan do a complete 4x4 conversion on my transit, raising its value considerably. Now I'm concerned that someone else might like it as much as I do, so I'm looking for ways to disable it when it's parked. I'm thinking a hidden toggle switch that shuts off power to the fuel pump would be simple but effective, but I haven't looked yet to determine the best place to tap into the circuit... fuse block perhaps, or would that be too obvious?

I'm also considering the possibility of getting jacked at an intersection. In that case I'd want the van to still run, but only long enough for the temporary new owners to drive it for about five minutes before the engine shut off and a siren is activated. This should be easily accomplished with a double pole time delay relay. Has anyone done this and care to share their experience?
You may find some useful discussion in this thread:

I believe the fuel pump only primes on door ajar, but it definitely does something like de-priming after 10-20 minutes, which is probably what others are mistaking for another round of priming.

You can demonstrate this by opening the door, hearing it prime, then waiting for 10-20 minutes. I've never timed it precisely, but once you hear it prime, you'll always hear it de-prime 10-20 minutes later.

Interestingly the Forscan setting "fuel pump prime on door ajar" is defaulted to "disable." I tried playing around with the setting (enabling, disabling again, etc) but nothing changes, same behavior. It's like Ford decided this was too important for some reason and hard coded it.

Cheers.

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
The rusty van wrap is a MUST for discouraging thieves
Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
4,552 Posts
Ours have a hidden switch to disable the Brake Shift Interlock circuit, F4 on the BCM. Even with the key in and engine running, it won't go into gear. Just use a fuse extension adapter and splice into one of the wires
Automotive lighting Rectangle Eyewear Font Cable

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Steering part

You can do the same for the fuel pump fuse in the engine bay.

·
Super Moderator
4,552 Posts
In my Bronco years ago, I installed a timed circuit that would activate the alarm within X seconds of entering even if the alarm had been shut off with the key, and another switch to cut power to the fuel pump.

There are plenty of simple tricks that can be done with hidden switches and interrupting circuits.

As for the car jacking scenario, after reading several news articles where victims said they had a firearm in the glovebox but didn't have a chance to get it out, I installed a hidden magnetic mount at the driver's seat.

Twice a week I pick up food for our Church pantry in an area with frequent car jackings. There is no time to say wait, let me get my gun out, so that's where it is if I have to be in a sketchy area.
And yes, I'm a pastor but not a patsy, lol 😇

·
Registered
132 Posts
Y'all sure do love your guns. A gun can't really stop a would be thief or someone who sneaks up on your car and puts a gun in your face. Better advice would be to keep your doors locked and windows up if you are driving in a sketchy part of town.

Yeah some sort of fuse or circuit break would work, but would you remember to do that every single time? and then also turn it back on when you get in the car. It only takes one time forgetting it and then boom your van is gone. Idk, doesn't seem worth it unless you plan to leave the van in sketchy areas.

I wouldn't worry about the van getting stolen, more so the items in it. Those items are a lot easier of a target and a lot easier to sell. I feel like people who steal cars, at least in my city, usually just drive it somewhere and then leave it. And it's usually old shitty cars not brand new vans. If I was a thief I would rather have your macbook that I could literally pawn that day over a giant van that I would need to figure out someone to take it to and have it stripped and what not. Most thieves are looking for a quick fix.

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
1,332 Posts
Ours have a hidden switch to disable the Brake Shift Interlock circuit, F4 on the BCM. Even with the key in and engine running, it won't go into gear. Just use a fuse extension adapter and splice into one of the wires
View attachment 177025
View attachment 177024

You can do the same for the fuel pump fuse in the engine bay.
Just so I am clear on the wiring, in the section that we cant see from your pics is just a switch that either opens or close the circuit?

Good idea and cheap.

Reactions: asdrew

·
Super Moderator
4,552 Posts
Just so I am clear on the wiring, in the section that we cant see from your pics is just a switch that either opens or close the circuit?
Yes, it is just a SPST switch to break the circuit.
Liquid Hood Automotive lighting Water Fluid

·
Super Moderator
4,552 Posts
Y'all sure do love your guns. A gun can't really stop a would be thief or someone who sneaks up on your car and puts a gun in your face. Better advice would be to keep your doors locked and windows up if you are driving in a sketchy part of town.
Yeah some sort of fuse or circuit break would work, but would you remember to do that every single time? and then also turn it back on when you get in the car. It only takes one time forgetting it and then boom your van is gone. Idk, doesn't seem worth it unless you plan to leave the van in sketchy areas.
I wouldn't worry about the van getting stolen, more so the items in it. Those items are a lot easier of a target and a lot easier to sell. I feel like people who steal cars, at least in my city, usually just drive it somewhere and then leave it. And it's usually old shitty cars not brand new vans. If I was a thief I would rather have your macbook that I could literally pawn that day over a giant van that I would need to figure out someone to take it to and have it stripped and what not. Most thieves are looking for a quick fix.
In America you are welcome to do as you choose for your own self.
The growing number of wildly brazen violent crimes, even against law enforcement, is disturbing as is the apparent tolerance of it by many.
Some of us have read too many tragic stories and choose to be armed, some roll the dice and are willing to leave their fate up to a thug in the very unlikely event that something would happen.
A gun can stop a would be thief who puts a gun in your face if you know what you're doing and chances are extremely low that one would be put in such a situation, yet I personally would hate for my family to know that I had firearms locked up at home that were useless when a thug shot me.
Yes, there are many measures to avoid a situation in any part of town and I employ more than most people. However, I invite you to come to Central Florida and drive with no AC on like I usually do and then close the windows.

Yes, I remember to flip switches every time - been doing it for decades in multiple vehicles.

Also yes, most thugs are just looking to take the stuff they see in plain sight - but not all.
Just this week a local mom in an average nice neighborhood had her car stolen as she was putting the kids and their stuff in for the first day of school. She apparently had the key already in the car so it was an easy jump in and go. There are many stories like that, so when I choose to leave a key in the van for various reasons - even for a moment - the transmission is disabled so that can't happen. Example- hooking up a trailer. If I'm out of the driver's seat, the switch is thrown.

Do what you want to do for your own van, ymmv.

Now back to providing Checkmate with anti-theft ideas like he asked for.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Since they decided locking up the bad guys is not in out best interest, just about anywhere can be the sketchy part of town.
I just like the option of not rolling over and taking it.
MSM doesn't much like reporting good guy with gun stories because it doesn't fit the narrative.
Gun, knife, baseball bat, bear spray, a big rock, whatever it takes to protect my family, myself, my belongings.
It is my responsibility since the courts have ruled the police have no duty to the individual.

·
Registered
132 Posts
lol not here to get into a gun debate. just saying it is extremely useless when dealing with theft. How is a gun going to stop a thief if you aren't even around?? How is the gun going to help you when you're busy attaching a trailer? Take your guns anywhere you want, I'm just saying strapping up is not good anti-theft advice unless you plan on waving it around in everyone's faces while you drive down the street. Do what you want.

Sorry I didn't state it explicitly, but you should be more worried about locking up your possessions or taking them with you. Much higher chance that stuff will be stolen than your van.

Where are you guys hiding the interrupt switches?

·
Super Moderator
4,552 Posts
lol not here to get into a gun debate. just saying it is extremely useless when dealing with theft. ...Where are you guys hiding the interrupt switches?
Yes, as far as theft when you're not around (y)
If we say where we hid the switches, then they'd no longer be hidden, lol
The general answer for me is out of sight and easily reachable. Many emergency vehicles have a floor switch under the carpet.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts