Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of my scheduled trips when there were supposed to be some Transits arriving at Matt Ford. With the situation on the virus stopping all production at the Transit plant, I have been canceling previously scheduled trips but left this one open once I found out the plant would resume production on May 18th. My main reason for this trip was to get more 2020 Transit take-out seats for the upgrade on the Matt Ford CrewVan Edition vans.

As luck would have it, I had a contact from a customer about 50 miles from my shop in Canton, TX looking for a LR passenger van and the Race Red one that was sitting at Matt Ford just happened to be EXACTLY what he wanted. So he got the ball rolling and with me delivering the final paperwork on the flight to Kansas City, everything is ready to go! I must be a trusting person as he is even letting me deliver it to him in Texas! I have done a few local deliveries for dealerships in the DFW area and in the past made some long distance deliveries for Wheel Pros to Elgin, IL in the -20* weather as well as Phoenix, AZ and Houston, TX on some T-350HD Transits that they used for aftermarket wheel deliveries in their delivery areas. So this will be a nice trip with a fully loaded T-350 LR 12 passenger van.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Arrived by Southwest Airlines this AM and picked up in the dealership Transit Connect passenger van. Driving up to the lot and here is the Race Red LR 12 passenger van ready for its journey to Texas.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
One of the nice features on this van is the Adaptive Cruise Control. With a lot of highway driving on this trip, I got to see first hand how it preforms. Here are a few pictures of the Adaptive Cruise in ACTION!

First picture is the setting of the Adaptive Cruise speed in MPH. This is what you see as long as no other vehicles are in the scanning area. Once a vehicle gets in the scanning area, it removes the 'MPH' on the display and places a vehicle indicator in that position. It also reduces your speed to that vehicle and keeps you in a proper range for your Transit to stop based on the speed you are traveling. Then once the vehicle is out of the scanning area for the Transit, it automatically resumes to the original speed setting.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I set the trip odometers at the dealership so I could get information on how this 3.5L EcoBoost engine did on the trip. With so few of the AWD models on the road and this being the one of the first Transit passenger vans on the road, I wanted to see what the gas mileage would do on this trip. The dealership filled the 31 gallon tank to 'FULL' like we do for every Matt Ford customer on their arrival so they can get as far as possible before having to refuel the vehicle and they can see for themselves how well it preforms.

The van had about 27 miles on it before we started the trip. Everything was loaded for the trip and after doing a quick dealer transfer on a F-150 for Matt Ford, I headed out for the long trip to Texas. As I try to tell all of our customers when they plan their trip, it is good to drive variable speeds if possible. I made this trip down west on Hwy 24 about 55 MPH for 4 miles, then south on MO-7 for 9 miles at speeds from 35 to 55 and around the 'round-a-bout' about half way through the trip. Then getting onto I-49, we got up to 65 for another 144 miles. We did not use the Adaptive Cruise at this point so we could vary the speed range based on the traffic flow.

After passing through Joplin, MO we got onto I-44 and this is where we were going to use the Adaptive Cruise Control and where I did the pictures about the Adaptive Cruise. Plenty of large trucks on the right side of the road and a lot of movement into the left lane for the Adaptive Cruise to show how it works and it preformed as expected. After the 58 miles trip down I-44, took the exit for US Hwy 69 (Big Cabin exit) and did a fuel stop. We had close to 1/2 tank reading on the fuel gauge and the $1.45 fuel price at the station close to the exit made it a good time for a break.

Here are the reading based on the vehicle and the fuel placed in the Transit.
Traveled miles based on the Trip Odometer #1...240.7 miles.....total miles on vehicle 267.8 miles
Fuel entered in the vehicle..14.391 gallons

Then we resumed our trip down Hwy 69 towards Texas. If you are familiar with this road you go into some small Oklahoma towns so your speed varies from 65 to 55 to 45...even slower and then a possible few stop lights between all of the little towns. This gave us a chance to do the variable driving we wanted to do for the break-in miles for this Transit. This was another 128 miles of variable speeds until we go to the Indian Nation Turnpike where we would make some highway speeds for 66 miles, then take US 271-S another 22 miles at 60 MPH into Paris, TX for variable speeds around the north part of town and around the Loop 286 to ending up on Hwy 19-S. This would take us onto Hwy 69 which is another road that goes through various small Texas towns with our arrival in Tyler, TX and down Hwy 155 to get to our final destination. The last few miles were varied from 55 to various stops for traffic lights and then final arrival in Bullard, TX for delivery of the 12 passenger van.

Final pictures are from the trip odometers #1 & #2 so you can see the reading after the fuel stop and the total readings from leaving Matt Ford until arrival at the customer's home.

·
Registered
282 Posts
One of the nice features on this van is the Adaptive Cruise Control. With a lot of highway driving on this trip, I got to see first hand how it preforms. Here are a few pictures of the Adaptive Cruise in ACTION!

First picture is the setting of the Adaptive Cruise speed in MPH. This is what you see as long as no other vehicles are in the scanning area. Once a vehicle gets in the scanning area, it removes the 'MPH' on the display and places a vehicle indicator in that position. It also reduces your speed to that vehicle and keeps you in a proper range for your Transit to stop based on the speed you are traveling. Then once the vehicle is out of the scanning area for the Transit, it automatically resumes to the original speed setting. View attachment 135267 View attachment 135274 View attachment 135275 View attachment 135276 View attachment 135277 View attachment 135278 View attachment 135279
That is one of the best vehicle features since the invention of the automatic transmission.

I could deal without a lot of features, but not that option.

Is this now called "cruise control" on the transit option list of is there a specific option called "adaptive cruise control" that is different?

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the 2020 Ford Transit Order Guide you have a order code 60C for the regular Cruise Control and 60D for the Adaptive Cruise Control. It is listed on the Transit window sticker with those names.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another feature on this 12 passenger van was the HID Headlamps and we got to use them on the last 30 minutes of the trip. They are exceptional headlamps and light the road very well. Disappointed that they cannot be ordered on the Transit cargo van but are only available on the passenger van and the CrewVan models.

I think a few Transit owners have made the conversion with the HID Headlamps on the cargo van but it is requiring a change in the wiring harness. Not been able to get the wiring harness that they are using for this conversion yet so still waiting to get one and see what it involves to make the change. I checked to the HID Headlamps assemblies and they are pretty expensive for the Ford factory ones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts