Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I'm curious if any of you know of a Van that has been broken into. Also: what measures do you take to bear-proof your vehicle?
Bear-proof? Short of active countermeasures like bear spray that sprays out from under the van, or an electric fence that surrounds it (there's a guy in Tahoe doing a good business selling electrified window/door coverings Bear Proof Your Cabin, Keep Bears Wild - Tahoe Bear Busters), you don't bear-proof your vehicle.

Don't leave anything smelly inside the van, and if you do, don't park anywhere that there won't be people walking around that would actively discourage the bear.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
My bad - should have used a phrase like "bear-harden" or some such to indicate improved but not perfect security.
I would be concerned the "harder" it is, the more damage will be done to the exterior before the bear gives up.

My father in law had his fiberglass truck topper destroyed by a bear in Yosemite. His lesson learned was to sleep in the back of the truck the next time he visited, rather than put his food in a bear locker. :ROFLMAO:

When I got the Transit I Googled for vans peeled open like a tin can but was surprised not to find any, but I've got to believe they're being broken into as much as cars.

I'd wondered if there were any hunting scents you could leave out that wouldn't be obnoxious smelling to people but mask picnic basket smells to a bear.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts