Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long lurker, new poster here. I was considering the Alurack on a Long High Roof transit over an Aluminess. The appeal of the Aluminess is the walkability but also that there are crossbars available that can be mounted to the top loop of the rack. I was wondering if anyone has mounted crossbars to the top longitudinal rail of the Alurack? I don't see it as an option from Prime Design and haven't seen a posting or image where someone has done it. I'd be all-in on the Alurack, but I wouldn't be able to fit both a cargo box and SUP/kayak next to each other between the two side rails of the Alurack. Has anyone overcome this without getting smaller gear for the roof? I foresee mounting stuff low being a conflict with the Maxxfan opening as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
The weight capacity for the roof is 440 pounds, I wouldnt pile too much stuff up there.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I Just mounted a Prime Designs Alurack and ladder on my 2020 high / extended last weekend. The build quality is kinda low, things feel kinda off, holes don't line up, directions were shite ... but ... the price was WAY right compared to the other options (no sprinter tax), the width is better than the other options (9+ inches), the movable cross members are nice and allow for flexibility in spacing. My wife and I were able to do the install by ourselves in our front yard with no extra-special equipment.

I prefer the look of a wide rack on top rather than what I call the narrow "cherry on top" look. If you are planning on using your rack to haul kayaks, ski gear, sup's, boxes you need room to operate.

I mounted my Thule box tonight and it's clear I'm going to have plenty of room to mount a larger residential solar panel (up front), a spot for a Maxxfan (just behind), the Thule box and at least 2 whitewater kayaks or sups (using stackers) in the back with a small platform to stand on in between, no problem.

I ordered an extra 2 heavy duty cross members and added them to what normally comes with the rack (3 heavy duty, 3 lighter duty i think) ... but now I'm thinking of ordering 2 more and making all the cross members in the back half heavy duty versions (where kayaks, box and humans go). They are quite a bit more stiff. Highly recommended.

I'm vain enough to have spray painted the side rails and mounting hardware black in an effort to simulate the $5000 price tag racks ... and it looks slick as snot right now ... not sure it will last. The shiny aluminum doesn't work for me. If my spray paint job flakes away I might have a professional giv'er. The rear ladder came in anodized black and looks way better. Clearly, Prime Designs should offer the Alurack in black and cater just a bit more to the van enthusiast. They are leaving money on the table.

As for the weight capacity: I've been whitewater kayaking for a long time now. If you kayak you know and have born witness to the ridiculous amounts of kayaks / weight strapped to "racks" and driven up and down "roads" with nary a hiccup. I've personally strapped several hundreds of pounds of gear on very janky racks. Informed with that experience, I can tell you that this rack will carry just fine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm planning on replacing all the "light duty" cross members with the "heavy duty" options ... the light duty version flexes almost to the top of the roof when I stand on it ... the stronger ones much less so, if any.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Just mounted a Prime Designs Alurack and ladder on my 2020 high / extended last weekend. The build quality is kinda low, things feel kinda off, holes don't line up, directions were shite ... but ... the price was WAY right compared to the other options (no sprinter tax), the width is better than the other options (9+ inches), the movable cross members are nice and allow for flexibility in spacing. My wife and I were able to do the install by ourselves in our front yard with no extra-special equipment.

I prefer the look of a wide rack on top rather than what I call the narrow "cherry on top" look. If you are planning on using your rack to haul kayaks, ski gear, sup's, boxes you need room to operate.

I mounted my Thule box tonight and it's clear I'm going to have plenty of room to mount a larger residential solar panel (up front), a spot for a Maxxfan (just behind), the Thule box and at least 2 whitewater kayaks or sups (using stackers) in the back with a small platform to stand on in between, no problem.

I ordered an extra 2 heavy duty cross members and added them to what normally comes with the rack (3 heavy duty, 3 lighter duty i think) ... but now I'm thinking of ordering 2 more and making all the cross members in the back half heavy duty versions (where kayaks, box and humans go). They are quite a bit more stiff. Highly recommended.

I'm vain enough to have spray painted the side rails and mounting hardware black in an effort to simulate the $5000 price tag racks ... and it looks slick as snot right now ... not sure it will last. The shiny aluminum doesn't work for me. If my spray paint job flakes away I might have a professional giv'er. The rear ladder came in anodized black and looks way better. Clearly, Prime Designs should offer the Alurack in black and cater just a bit more to the van enthusiast. They are leaving money on the table.

As for the weight capacity: I've been whitewater kayaking for a long time now. If you kayak you know and have born witness to the ridiculous amounts of kayaks / weight strapped to "racks" and driven up and down "roads" with nary a hiccup. I've personally strapped several hundreds of pounds of gear on very janky racks. Informed with that experience, I can tell you that this rack will carry just fine.
What ladder did you add? From same company? What height?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have an Alurack ladder, but opted for Thule Bars on the roof. Big mistake. Those things don't hold any weight, and trying to rig up 9ft kayaks 10ft high on the roof is an accident waiting to happen.

I'm going to redesign this summer - either have a rack fabbed up locally, or build an 80-20 rack myself.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Have you mounted the MaxxFan yet? Where specifically did you (or will you) mount the fan?

I am particularly interested if the fan sticks up higher than the cross bars when in the closed position?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Have you mounted the MaxxFan yet? Where specifically did you (or will you) mount the fan?

I am particularly interested if the fan sticks up higher than the cross bars when in the closed position?
Mounted the Maxxfan just behind the solar panel (approx center of the van roof).

The fan lid is slightly higher than the cross bars but because the cross bars are adjustable (forward / back) I simply made space for the maxxfan to open unhindered.

Not the best pic but better than nothing:

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
The Low Profile Fantastic Vent with the optional Flat Cover fits under the crossbars with enough room to open the vent about 2 inches. A 14 inch vent open 2 inches still flows a good amount of air with the fan On, Not so much with the fan Off.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Mounted the Maxxfan just behind the solar panel (approx center of the van roof).

The fan lid is slightly higher than the cross bars but because the cross bars are adjustable (forward / back) I simply made space for the maxxfan to open unhindered.

Not the best pic but better than nothing:

View attachment 147964
I see that you mounted your fan toward the middle of your roof, which is far less common than in the rear. How is that working for you w.r.t. ventilation? Do you have vents in the far rear of the van?

I am considering a center mount fan like yours. To make it work, I was thinking open-able windows on rear sides. Maybe I am overthinking this.

Thanks for the picture with the rack and the fan. I am planning on the Alurack for it's flexibility. With the fan further forward like yours, it's height is less of an issue when packing a load.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Have only had the fan working since last fall but it's worked fine this winter. We installed a small Tern Overland windows in the rear passenger side door for summer ventilation.

My only warning would be to focus on reducing the fans ability to vibrate / bounce ... some supports will be necessary to reduce the vibration. That might be the same with any fan position but this is the only one I have experience with.

All in all ... very happy with the rack layout.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
My Alu-Rack and Fantastic vent have been on the van for almost five years, My vent is mounted in the same location, I put it there to draw cooking fumes out of the kitchen area. Air flow is from two D-pillar floor vents, Up and over the head end of a north/south bed and then forward towards the kitchen.

A year ago the Alu-rack snagged a low hanging 220 volt power line while driving slowly at night, The rack held up pretty well with only a 3 inch hole burned in to the bottom of one side rail. No damage structurally to the rack.

·
Registered
106 Posts
A year ago the Alu-rack snagged a low hanging 220 volt power line while driving slowly at night, The rack held up pretty well with only a 3 inch hole burned in to the bottom of one side rail. No damage structurally to the rack.
WOAH! I know our vans are high but that's some low wire!

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
WOAH! I know our vans are high but that's some low wire!
Old campgrounds and old electrical systems, It was determined that earlier in the day a garbage truck knocked it partway down so it was already hanging low. I did not see it in the dark, The cop said it was my fault. The Insurance sent a small check.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Old campgrounds and old electrical systems, It was determined that earlier in the day a garbage truck knocked it partway down so it was already hanging low. I did not see it in the dark, The cop said it was my fault. The Insurance sent a small check.
It was in the campground? In most places the cops wouldn't get involved on private property. However, the campground should have been subject to significant liability, as well as the garbage truck operator.

·
Registered
2021 Cargo T-350 LWB HR EB on order...
253 Posts
I Just mounted a Prime Designs Alurack and ladder on my 2020 high / extended...
Thanks a ton for the VERY detailed review. I’m strongly considering this rack, and your review was very helpful. Two questions...
1. What is the longest dimension of your solar panel? I’m wondering if a 67” LG NeON will fit.
2. Do the Alurack’s side rails cast a shadow on the solar panel, significantly reducing its power output?
Thanks again!

Reactions: BobCollins

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks a ton for the VERY detailed review. I’m strongly considering this rack, and your review was very helpful. Two questions...
1. What is the longest dimension of your solar panel? I’m wondering if a 67” LG NeON will fit.
2. Do the Alurack’s side rails cast a shadow on the solar panel, significantly reducing its power output?
Thanks again!
As a LouisvilleCardinal, It was my pleasure CincyBearcat ;)

Couldn't help myself!

1) You'd have to check the Prime Designs website ... they have detailed dimensions for you to see. I'm not a reliable source.

2) In my opinion, the side rails are no worries. When the sun is out the power is coming in strong.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts