Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Van ordered(R2XO- HR)- thanks Ed aka CrewMan, in line for Quadvan and also Van Specialities.

I do love the Aluminess Roof Racks but I just cannot come up with the $3,400+ with the upcoming spend. FrontRunner makes some great products and I am thinking that they or others may have a viable alternative that would save a lot of money.

Frontrunner indicated that they have used some Heins Brackets - sorry cannot post b/c i am a junior member.

Has anyone done this?

Having a rack up top would be for solar and board storage for those long baja trips. It may not work with adding vents but worth looking into. The other thing to think about would be a side ladder to access them that would not need to be mounted to the roof, at least ideally.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,662 Posts
Also search this forum for "8020" . A few people have made their own racks using extruded aluminum from 8020.net. It's basically an erector set for adults.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also search this forum for "8020" . A few people have made their own racks using extruded aluminum from 8020.net. It's basically an erector set for adults.
Thanks I am familiar with 80/20. I have had some surf racks on my old camper made out of them. Unfortunately I am always left scratching my head looking at their website.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone have any idea how long of overhang is possible in the front of the van with a frontrunner rack on a 130WB MR? With the van being shorter, looking to extend the roof rack real estate. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was looking at alurack or aforementioned heim mounts and platform before just going with the aluminess. If you can find a way to swing it they're amazing racks but I totally understand price being an issue (as is the waiting time of 6-8 weeks). For me, getting my panels and canopy mounts up easily with bolt on stuff was the deciding factor along with weight and potential resale value if I ever sell my van. Also, can't lie - having the install on my high roof done for me was a big deal.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,662 Posts
Well there go my dreams of sitting on the roof in a lawn chair. Thanks. :D
I would assume that the load limitation take into account rollover characteristics, center of gravity, etc. If you are parked, I'm sure a couple of people could hang out in lawn chairs on a solid but lightweight rack. Unless you or your lawn chair are absurdly heavy. :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
To hijack this thread, does anyone here have Prime Design's AluRack? If so how do you like it, and are the cross-members adjustable to accommodate roof vents. It looks like the cross-members bolt into a continuous recessed groove, but it hard to tell if there are predrilled attachment points from the assembly drawings. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
To hijack this thread, does anyone here have Prime Design's AluRack? If so how do you like it, and are the cross-members adjustable to accommodate roof vents. It looks like the cross-members bolt into a continuous recessed groove, but it hard to tell if there are predrilled attachment points from the assembly drawings. Thanks for the info.
The crossbars are adjustable, They screw into nuts that slide back and forth in the slot in the side rail.
Also the entire rack is adjustable, It will slide forward and backwards about a foot on the roof mounted rack mounting rails.

I have had the Alu-Rack for 3 years and it still looks great except the rear roller that makes it easy to load ladders and other things has gotten a tarnished look. (Roller is not aluminum)

·
Registered
112 Posts
The crossbars are adjustable, They screw into nuts that slide back and forth in the slot in the side rail.
Also the entire rack is adjustable, It will slide forward and backwards about a foot on the roof mounted rack mounting rails.

I have had the Alu-Rack for 3 years and it still looks great except the rear roller that makes it easy to load ladders and other things has gotten a tarnished look. (Roller is not aluminum)

That is exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you for the info. I was surprised by how reasonable the price is, I figured there has got to be a catch. Glad to hear it has held up well and is adjustable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts