Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed an Aluminess rear ladder on a recent model Transit?

I'm having trouble with the upper hinge bracket and wondering if what I'm seeing is normal or if maybe I just got a bad bracket.

Two issues:
1. the bracket touches metal where it flares up to clear the door edge. so it flares up but not enough to actually clear the edge of the metal. normal?
2. the part of the upper bracket that sticks out to which you mount the ladder sits at a different angle than the lower bracket and is not lined up at the same angle as the part of the ladder that mounts to it. Sorry, kind of confusing. Looking at the van from the back, the lower bracket and the door handle brackets stick straight out. The upper bracket is angled slightly outward. See attached pictures. I'm holding the brackets flat together at the part that mounts on the hinge and you can see that the lower brackets come off straight but the upper one is angled. All of the mounting points on the ladder are straight. Doesn't seem to be right.

I was hoping to get this installed this weekend, but Aluminess is closed until Monday. Hoping someone in the forum can help me out.

Cheers!
Chris.

IMG_2371.jpg

·
Registered
133 Posts
I believe the angles are different because the locations on the door where the hinges mount aren't parallel, but I could be wrong. I don't remember having this issue when I installed my tire carrier.

It was a very tight installation on mine and took a fair bit of adjustment to get the mounts lined up just right so that they wouldn't contact any sheet metal when opening and closing. The protection tape they send is both essential and a pain to install in all the locations they specify, and I added more to some locations I was worried about rubbing that weren't in the directions.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the angles are different because the locations on the door where the hinges mount aren't parallel, but I could be wrong. I don't remember having this issue when I installed my tire carrier.

It was a very tight installation on mine and took a fair bit of adjustment to get the mounts lined up just right so that they wouldn't contact any sheet metal when opening and closing. The protection tape they send is both essential and a pain to install in all the locations they specify, and I added more to some locations I was worried about rubbing that weren't in the directions.
Thanks. I figured it out. They sent the wrong bracket kit. I have the low roof kit. The mid/high roof kit has a different part# on the upper hinge bracket. All the other parts are the same. So I guess another week before I can get this thing installed.

And yeah, that protective tape is a MAJOR pain to deal with. But as you say, essential.

Cheers.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Did you order direct from Aluminess or locally (Canada).?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Final post on this one. Kudos to Aluminess, they dealt with this very professionally. I reported it yesterday, they shipped the new kit yesterday and I'll have it tomorrow. Looking forward to getting this ladder on.

·
Registered
2020 T350 EB SRW AWD HR EL
791 Posts
@crams1111, A few questions!

How do you like the ladder kit?
Is it easy to get on the roof?
By any chance that you order the tire carrier also?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@crams1111, A few questions!

How do you like the ladder kit?
Is it easy to get on the roof?
By any chance that you order the tire carrier also?
Ladder is great. Easy to install. Solid and does its job well. Looks great as well.

Yes, easy to get on the roof.

Few things that could be better:

1. The company does seem a bit disorganized. First the kit was missing a part. Had to wait for that. Then I realized mid-install it was actually the wrong bracket kit. So then had to wait for that. So, went to install it on a weekend... 3 weeks later I finally had it installed.

2. The little flip down steps that let you climb around the the tire carrier rust the first time they get wet after the first time you use them. When to step on them they sort of gouge into themselves and leave bare metal exposed to the elements. The little step flips down and rest against powder coated metal. Your weight will cause metal on metal to rip through the powder coating. Not a big deal, but definitely annoying.

3. There is a big disclaimer in the install instructions for the tire carrier that it can only support 100 lbs or something like that. That's just poor engineering in my view. That tire is in a place where anybody but you (because, you read the install instructions) is going to obviously step on it on the way up or on the way down. Again, not a huge issue, just annoying.

So that's it. I'm happy with it.

Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts