Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 T350 EB SRW AWD HR EL
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just called Aluminess, was told that the delivery will be in late August. So the longer I wait to place my order, the longer it will take me to get mine unless there is a viable alternative.

Have anyone installed it and happy with it? How easy to get on the roof routinely? It is a big-ticket item with a long wait, just wanted to make sure this is what I want. TIA.

·
Registered
119 Posts

I just put in my order for a passenger bike carrier. It can be used for any of their boxes also for long trips without bikes. Been on the fence for sometime and should have ordered before the price hike and the long wait but oh well. I have the owl van tire carrier on the drivers side that I bought before they stopped fords. I hear the ladder is a little awkward to climb.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have one in order with Aluminess from a few months back. They told me in May. I will check back this week...

These guys are making one right now.

I bought a roof rack from them that I just received 2 days ago (but haven't installed yet).

You can see these item in this video:

PM if you are interested and I could put you in touch directly with Julie, the woman in the video.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Transit XLT AWD LR Wagon, 3.5 EcoBoost V6,
156 Posts
I have installed the ladder/tire carrier from them and so far I'm very impressed. I thought the installation was pretty easy. Time will tell how everything ages. Very good quality item. I had to wait about 6 weeks or so and then they sent a midriff unit, vs. the low roof I ordered. Let me know if you have other questions and I'm happy to share my experience.

5EAB8D41-4FD6-42CA-ACEB-A8152B87F64C.jpeg

·
Registered
224 Posts

I've had it for over a year and it has been trouble free even through some fairly rough roads. Quality and paint are good.

I had a previous model on a E350 which sagged over time and wear. This model hasn't had the same issue.

There is also a model with a ladder which I probably would have purchased but it came available after I placed my order.

My build has some pics of the hinges and attach points if you are interested.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I got the Aluminess ladder / tire carrier last summer. So far very solid. Easy and secure to get on the roof. At some point I'll install the Aluminess 'Bike Rack' on the passenger side.

When you open the door fully, the ladder hits the side of the van. Could cause damage if you're not careful. I'm still searching for a bump-stop solution.

McMaster sells 'vibration damping U bolts' that are perfect for attaching custom boxes and carriers to the ladder tubes.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the Aluminess ladder / tire carrier last summer. So far very solid. Easy and secure to get on the roof. At some point I'll install the Aluminess 'Bike Rack' on the passenger side.

When you open the door fully, the ladder hits the side of the van. Could cause damage if you're not careful. I'm still searching for a bump-stop solution.

McMaster sells 'vibration damping U bolts' that are perfect for attaching custom boxes and carriers to the ladder tubes.

Thanks for the heads up. Would you recommend getting the 180-degree hinge?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I was one of the product testers. I added a gas can carrier and out Farmer's Jack to the ladder side. We have had the tire carrier and ladder on out MR for >14 months and >10,000 miles with zero issues.

Can't imagine not having them now.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I was also one of the original product testers and could not be happier with it.

Solid/rugged and has held up well to nearly a year and a half of tough usage - I regularly have a load of fire wood or garbage in a tire bag hanging on the spare, and have a “kitchen box” and my MaxTrax on the passenger side. I have well over 60K miles on highway and demanding forestry or isolated roads (we spent the first couple of months with the door mounts playing in Death Valley and Baja).

I think the real advantage of the Aluminess approach is the mounting hardware which uses the factory hinge mounting holes and requires no holes in the hinges or body of the van.

They have changed the design slightly since the original design we tested, partly based on the test user feedback.

I would recommend the wait - it’s worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Would you recommend getting the 180-degree hinge?
It's nice to be able to open the door beyond 180. I'm mindful of the issue and find that it's not much of a problem to be careful. I bet someone will invent a good bump stop or retaining strap.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can't believe you went with the tall jack these thing have about 6 inches of wheel travel...:). The long one makes a better come along winch though.

I am looking at their ladder/tire carrier. Does the tire or the rack hit the body first? Did you figure out a way to extend the door bump stops? I ordered the 240 degree rear swing doors.

·
Registered
224 Posts
It's convenient to have the door open completely, remembering that you can lock it into the 180 position with the factory door locks. Like Andyl, I worry that I'll open it too far and it will dent the side but evidently not enough to put retention strap in place. It would seem pretty easy to have a cable on the inside that is bolted into the frame and stops the tire from touching.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gentlemen, thanks for the inputs. I just ordered mine with the 270-degree swing. Was told the delivery is in late August. It seems a long time to wait but knowing how slow I am currently in for the conversion. I guess it is OK.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I can't believe you went with the tall jack these thing have about 6 inches of wheel travel...:). The long one makes a better come along winch though.

I am looking at their ladder/tire carrier. Does the tire or the rack hit the body first? Did you figure out a way to extend the door bump stops? I ordered the 240 degree rear swing doors.
This

Reactions: bryanmichaelmeyer

·
Registered
2020 AWD HR 148 Crew
46 Posts
Gentlemen, thanks for the inputs. I just ordered mine with the 270-degree swing. Was told the delivery is in late August. It seems a long time to wait but knowing how slow I am currently in for the conversion. I guess it is OK.
I ordered mine in mid-February and was told early June delivery. I just got a shipping confirmation today.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts