Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

It seems like the state of California have decided to ban this spray adhesive. No shop that I tried online was willing to ship here. Is there a recommended alternative? I was hoping to use it for attaching Thinsulate, as well as other random things such as maybe fabric trims and such.
There is supposedly a low VOC version but that has also been hard to find and reviews say it is not as good as the real thing.

Grrrrr.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2106 148MR Cargo
228 Posts
Even though we do have spray available & I use it, I try to use good old contact cement because it is so much cheaper ounce for ounce.

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
367 Posts
@Janus9 : Has anyone used the Gorilla glue? It would be nice to have a first hand report.

@Checkswrecks : Is there any way to put weldwood in a sprayer? It is pretty thick. I love the stuff but I don't know how you would apply it to insulation like Thinsulate without a spray.

A

·
Registered
2106 148MR Cargo
228 Posts
Gorilla Glue is normally more expensive per ounce than 90 is but they package it in a slightly smaller can to make it look less expensive. I buy and use whichever is on sale and they work equally well.

I've never tried putting contact cement in a sprayer because rollers are cheap and I hate cleaning. Never tried it on Thinsulate, but have thinned it with both acetone and MEK when the can has been open for a while. Used whichever I happened to have more of at the minute. As thinsulate is a poly, be aware that MEK and acetone will dissolve the first bits till they start to evaporate, so try it on some small test pieces first.

·
Registered
33 Posts
One thing about the "90" that I haven't seen in any other spray glue, is the spray pattern. The web spray pattern is very accurate an almost overspray-less. with a little practice I was using very little masking.
3M super77 would be a very good substitute, just watch the over spray.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lots of different types of adhesives to look into. Thank you everyone for chiming in!
Since I prefer to have the fluffy (white) side of the Thinsulate facing the walls, I am not sure adhesives in non-spray form would work. I would prefer not have to deal with a spray gun and the mess/cleaning involved if I can avoid it, so I will need to try out the recommendations you posted for spray-can adhesives.
My understanding was that the 77 service temperature range is lower than the 90, which could potentially become a problem at some point. The data sheet seems to indicate failure temperature of 190F vs 250F - so perhaps that is not actually an issue in this application. I do agree that the spary pattern of the 90 was very easy to work with.

I have not heard of the Gorilla Glue spray adhesive or the 94 ET before. Seems like for this particular application I am probably over thinking this and any one would work, assuming they can withstand the temperature the sheet metal will get to.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Once again, don't over think it? Are you going to have a Headliner? Than who cares how long it sticks or when it lets go?

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
We have been using Loctite 300 spray adhesive or Gorilla glue spray adhesive.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Once again, don't over think it? Are you going to have a Headliner? Than who cares how long it sticks or when it lets go?
I will eventually have walls and a headliner, but I expect that would take a few months. I would be installing the insulation relatively early on in the build.

We have been using Loctite 300 spray adhesive or Gorilla glue spray adhesive.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
Well, you are certainly experienced with Thinsulate so I would go with your recommendation! Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 148" medium roof crew, 3.5L PFDI, 10 spd, 3.73
93 Posts
I was wondering what happened to 3M 90... It still has a shelf tag at the local HD so I thought it was just a shortage... I wonder is the ban permanent or temporary. As I travel up the coast a couple of times a year I might have to buy a couple of cans in OR or WA....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was wondering what happened to 3M 90... It still has a shelf tag at the local HD so I thought it was just a shortage... I wonder is the ban permanent or temporary. As I travel up the coast a couple of times a year I might have to buy a couple of cans in OR or WA....
I think CA has decided to fight materials with a certain amount or formulation of VOC. Getting Mineral Spirits also became impossible. When I looked into spray-painting my old Sprinter I ran into all sorts of obstacles trying to mix and match paints and solvents in an attempt to find something that people said is easy to work with, produces reasonable results, and is available in CA. Pretty annoying but maybe this is a good thing for the environment, I honestly do not have a good understanding of the effects the VOCs have on it.

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
It's more work, but I've found brush-on contact cement to be far superior to 3M 90.
I tried to use 3M 90 to glue tolex to guitar cabinets to save time, but it would peel up in places after a few days.

Reactions: Checkswrecks

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's more work, but I've found brush-on contact cement to be far superior to 3M 90.
I tried to use 3M 90 to glue tolex to guitar cabinets to save time, but it would peel up in places after a few days.
I have heard good things about contact cement. Have you used it on Thinsulate? I image it would be difficult to use on the fuzzy side of it.

·
Registered
2020 148" medium roof crew, 3.5L PFDI, 10 spd, 3.73
93 Posts
I used 3M 90 and Thinsulate on the ceiling of my Transit about 5 months ago and it is still in place. Eventually I will add a wood celling, but for now the insulation is working and the black backing actually looks OK. As others have said, it would be hard to get a thin film of brush-on contact cement on the loose fibers of the Thinsulate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The 90 is on back order everywhere I have looked for it in Oregon as well. Perhaps a ban is coming here as well, or maybe it’s just popular?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I do not believe there is CA ban on 3M 90. It's limited supply vs. HUGE demand. I bought the last of the Low-VOC version in the local (SF Bay Area) Home Depots & Lowes in early January. As I was running out at beginning of Feb, I shopped again. Nothing local & not allowed to back-order. Hmmm...

Amazon showed individual cans of Low-VOC version available then, but would NOT ship to CA address. Hmmm... apparently there is a shipping issue of individual cans into CA, is my guess.

Then I noticed many Amazon affiliates selling cases of 12 cans of regular 90. I ordered a case shipped my home in Feb. No problem.

When I looked yesterday, those case-selling affiliates are out also. Claiming more available in May-June.

We're just using it faster than they are making it!

YourAdhesiveAdventuresMayVary,

Catfish ...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts