Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With a lot of these vans now delivered to Transit customers, I have had many request asking about alternatives for changing out the 3 passenger 62" seat. As I had told Ford when they decided to use this seat, the biggest problem with this seat is you cannot go to the back of the van without opening the side door.

Here are the various changes you can make by removing this seat and doing a factory replacement seat. Once I get back to Matt Ford this week, I will try and have pictures of each seat in a CrewVan so you can see what they would look like when installed.

54" 3 passenger seat
Most buyers of the CrewVan want a 3 passenger seat but not the longer 62" seat that comes with the factory vehicle. By removing the outside leg on the 54" seat, you can install this seat in place of the 62" seat. Because of the heavy inner framework on the seat, you would have no problem with sitting in the end seat and even with a heavy person in this seat, it will not sag down below its normal height. If you go with the seat from a XL trim passenger van, the seat is a stationary seat with NO recline or RH armrest. By going with the XLT trim seat, you get the 3" to 4" recline feature and a RH armrest on this seat.

36" 2 passenger seat
A lot of Matt Ford CrewVan buyers are going with this seat. They like the 2 passenger seating a lot better and it gives you easier entry into the second row seat as well as a larger area to enter the rear of the van. The 54" seat helps you with opening up the side step panel for going to the back of the van without opening the side door but the 36" seat gives you the actual floor area to go to the back of the van. You have the same choices on the XL and XLT passenger van seats with the stationary seat for the XL and the recline and RH armrest on the XLT seat.

31" 2 passenger seat
This one has been talked about but never put to use. It takes a seat from the rear of the 12 passenger van and gives you a opening from the front passenger area straight back to the rear of the van. This seat is a small seat and would be better suited for small kids or adults. This seat is a stationary seat with NO recline feature or RH armrest.

Optional 62" 3 passenger seat with RECLINE feature
This is a NEW addition that we have been able to offer as this seat comes from the SWB 10 passenger XLT van. We were lucky to get ONE of these seats and it is a alternative to having the factory 62" seat but with the recline feature. NO armrest on this seat as it comes out to the side door area.

Adding a 16" single passenger seat(s) to the second row area
This requires a modification to the CrewVan floor area with added floor mounting brackets that line up to mount the factory Transit seat. One of our Matt Ford customers will be making this change on a HR Extended DRW CrewVan with 3 of the Ebony Cloth single seats. We may be using a combination of the XL and XLT seats so each person can have a available armrest. The seat near the LH side of the second row has a armrest indention in the plastic panel so we may just use the XL seat in this position. Using this stationary seat leaves off the recline feature and the LH armrest that is part of the single XL trim seat. Using the XLT single seat, you get the same recline feature and the LH armrest as part of this trim package. Once the owner of this HR Extended DRW CrewVan takes delivery on this van, he can make the decision on which seat he wants to use in the LH position of the second row seating area.

Other custom seating configurations
This is one that would be up to the CrewVan owner as far as changing out the 62" 3 passenger seat. Some are looking at going with Captains Chairs in this area and they can be done with various seats. It would probably need a modification of the floor area to mount the seats as well as removal of the floor mounting brackets for mounting the aftermarket seats.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here is the 62" factory seat installed in the Ford Transit CrewVan. The main gripe I had with Ford when developing the CrewVan was using this seat. It sticks out into the stepwell entering the van and makes it more difficult to enter the second row seat as well as the rear of the van behind the second row seat. With this seat in place, you have to open the door to go from the second row area to the rear of the van.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here is the 54" 3 passenger seat installed in the CrewVan. This was the seat I had asked Ford to use for the 3 passenger seat and it is the same seat as in the second row seating for the various Transit passenger vans. Its advantages include having a open step well for easy entry into the second row seat as well as a wider entry into the rear of the van. When you have the sliding door closed, you have the step well area open to go to the back of the van WITHOUT opening the door unless you need a wider area to get in the back.

One thing that is obvious is you can't use the outer leg that comes on the 54" seat. To keep the outer leg on the seat would require you to add a floor mounting bracket on the inner area for mounting the seat leg. Leaving off this leg does not cause the seat to sag when a heavy rider sits in this seat and it
can give you extra storage if you want to place a cooler or box in that area.

Just added some NEW pictures with the floor cover pieces to cover the floor openings once the 62" seat is removed. The blocks that will attach to the cover panel are in the works so I should have those ready in a few weeks.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here is the 36" 2 passenger seat installed in the CrewVan. It fits in the same LH 2 floor mounting positions as the factory 62" 3 passenger seat. Having the smaller seat makes it easier for one person to install or remove it if needed. You get a lot more area to get to the seat as well as a HUGE AREA to go to the rear of the van. Some may add a table next to the 36" seat or just place their cooler in this position. One noticeable thing is having the 2 floor openings from removing the 3 passenger seat but there are some floor plugs in the works to fit over these holes. The final details have been done for these plugs and you will see a demonstration of those in a future forum thread or on a later entry on this thread.

One of the best features with adding the 54" or 36" seat is by getting the seats from a XLT passenger van, you have the 3" to 4" recline feature as well as the RH armrest on the end of the seat. With the 62" seat going all of the way to the sliding door, you don't have a armrest on the RH position.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here is the 31" 2 passenger seat installed in the CrewVan. You would need the LH rear seat from a 12 passenger Transit van to make this installation happen. It uses the same 2 LH floor mounting brackets as the 36" seat so you could actually change out these seats depending on the extra room you may want in the second row area. It gives you a more direct movement from the front seating area to the back of the van with the smaller 5" difference in this seat and the 36" seat. The disadvantage of using this seat is it can only be used as a stationary seat with NO recline or armrest on the RH side of the seat.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here is the 16" single seat positioned in the CrewVan. This seat will not mount properly with the floor mounting brackets that exist in the current CrewVan platform. It would require removing the flooring and adding the floor mounting brackets based on how you would want to position the seat in the second row area. You could still use one of the existing floor mounting brackets as one of the attaching seat mounts and just add another one on either side based on where you would want to place the seat. You would even have the option to add multiple single seats if you wish and space them based on the existing floor mounted brackets with the added brackets to latch the other side of the seat bracket.

We have one Matt Ford customer who ordered a T-350HD CrewVan that will be using a 3 single seat installation for his application. We hope he will come back to this forum thread when he has finished with his installation and show us what it looks like and how he made the changes to get it in that configuration.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you wanted to stay with the 62" 3 passenger seat but wanted to get a little more comfort from this size seat, we have been able to acquire a 3 passenger 62" seat with the RECLINE FEATURE for ALL 3 seating positions. This is a extremely hard seat to get so if you happen to locate a seat like this one, it is a RARE FIND! Even though you don't have a armrest on this seat, having the 3" to 4" recline feature is a lot better than the standard seat that comes with the CrewVan.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi @CrewVanManInfo thanks for all these details. I have a question concerning the SWB 10 passenger vans you might be able to answer: If I buy a 10 passenger van, but I want to move the 3 passenger seat up fro the rear to the 2nd row position is that possible? Are the brackets still install in the van, and just not cut out? I'm just curious how much rearrangements of the seats I can get away with. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can place a 36" 2 passenger seat on the LH brackets from the 62" seat. That opens up a exit way out the rear RH side door.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You can place a 36" 2 passenger seat on the LH brackets from the 62" seat. That opens up a exit way out the rear RH side door.
Can you do the opposite? Replace a 2 seaters with a 3 seater in the 2nd row? Basically, I want to know if I buy a 10 passenger RWB van, could I reconfigure the seats to be a 5 passenger van when desired...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wanted to provide a picture for some folks thinking of adding the 36" seat to the crew van. I picked up at seat from a 2019 XLT. Fits in perfectly without any issues. Total game changer for the Crew Van
Thanks for the pic. I'm really close to getting our HR Passenger Van, and on the waiting list for Scopema swivels. It should come with a triple in the 2nd row, and a double plus single in the 3rd, and my plan was to remove the triple and move the double up a row. Your pic makes it super clear that I'll want to find a position between the two existing mounting points though so there is reasonable leg room when the front is swiveled.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I guess my pictures on the 2 passenger seat went up the ladder at Ford as now they are asking me questions about the 2 passenger seat. Questions like " Do CrewVan customers prefer the shorter 2 passenger seat over the 3 passenger seat?" " Is the CrewVan being used for personal use or adventure van use?" And " Do CrewVan customers want Leather seats and swivel seats in the CrewVan?"

A few days back I asked the Ford Transit Brand Group if there would be any changes on the CrewVan for the 2021 model. Their response? NO!

Then 3 days later is when I got the email with the questions shown above and this was AFTER I posted the pictures of the 2 passenger seat using the 36" and the 31" seat. Curious what I told them?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would love to see a 4 person bench option. In any van. If you can do 4 across in a 12 or 15, why not in the second row so I can take my 4 kids and have the back open. Or shift it to the 3rd position for open space between front seats and then a bed in the back. That’s my dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The 4 across seating is too small for a adult to sit in. All you have to do is get into the back of a 12 passenger van and you will see how small the seats are.

One of the suggestions I have made to Ford is come back with a version similar to the Econoline Chateau passenger van that had the rear folding flat seat.
www.bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-ford-e250-econoline-chateau-club-wagon

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,924 Posts
I used to drive a 1978 Dodge van that had two bench seats in the back. They could fold, flip, or lie flat. You could have them face each other and a dining table that was folded flat along the side wall could be popped up and 4 people could have a meal. After dinner they folded flat to a double bed. I don't understand how they can't off this same flexibility 42 years later.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The 4 across seating is too small for a adult to sit in. All you have to do is get into the back of a 12 passenger van and you will see how small the seats are.

One of the suggestions I have made to Ford is come back with a version similar to the Econoline Chateau passenger van that had the rear folding flat seat.
www.bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-ford-e250-econoline-chateau-club-wagon
The 4x seat is for kids, but I get it. Very select use case. Maybe legs and brackets at consistent spacing to use various seats in various places.

The chateau layout would be amazing. I love that fold flat rear bench. The conversion van companies all have that in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just received my 36" bench yesterday. I am not a large person and find this seat small, however my 10yr old thinks it is the perfect size for him! the 31" seat would be tight. I also find the seat to be not very deep and cuts off around mid thigh, serves the purpose but I would question its comfort on long trips. I also missed that the arm rest is only on the XLT version, already looking to see if I can make some modifications to add one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks a ton for this post. We were hoping to build a crew van with 2 seats in the 2nd row instead of the wide 3 seater that blocks access to the rear with the sliding door open.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is the 54" 3 passenger seat installed in the CrewVan. This was the seat I had asked Ford to use for the 3 passenger seat and it is the same seat as in the second row seating for the various Transit passenger vans. Its advantages include having a open step well for easy entry into the second row seat as well as a wider entry into the rear of the van. When you have the sliding door closed, you have the step well area open to go to the back of the van WITHOUT opening the door unless you need a wider area to get in the back.

One thing that is obvious is you can't use the outer leg that comes on the 54" seat. To keep the outer leg on the seat would require you to add a floor mounting bracket on the inner area for mounting the seat leg. Leaving off this leg does not cause the seat to sag when a heavy rider sits in this seat and it
can give you extra storage if you want to place a cooler or box in that area.

Just added some NEW pictures with the floor cover pieces to cover the floor openings once the 62" seat is removed. The blocks that will attach to the cover panel are in the works so I should have those ready in a few weeks.
View attachment 140668 View attachment 140669 View attachment 140670 View attachment 140671 View attachment 140672 View attachment 140673 View attachment 140676 View attachment 140677 View attachment 140678
Is there a way to install the 3rd leg via spacers or adapter plate on this seat to accommodate the offset of the mounting holes and the seat mount?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts