Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1041 - 1060 of 1064 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
FYI when deciding on tire size, go off what the actual measurement is rather than just the tire size on the side wall. BFG's for example notoriously run small, other manufactures run more true to size.

I personally like a tall skinny tires. You get the extra ground clearance but save on weight and rolling resistance.

Falken Wildpeak at3w size chart for 16 inch rims.

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Magenta

Font Pattern Monochrome Rectangle Circle

·
Registered
2019 250 Cargo MR LWB Quigley CCV pop-top
227 Posts
Pretty sure the Falken's don't carry the load rating. You really have to kind of start there and work your way from there. next challenge will be the spare fitting in at 80 PSI.
Why would you think that? From the Falken website:
28030628LT245/75R16E10120/116S

·
Registered
113 Posts
He was wrong, it happens.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well, in my experience, brand new Vancos have handled confidently (no sway, excellent tracking) straight off the rack. My K02s now have 15k on them and the handling characteristics haven't changed a bit, except the road noise has gotten worse, because they are noticeably cupping even though I've rotated them every 5k miles and put on brand new shocks/struts when I had the tires installed. You might notice that I'm not a fan of the K02s!
That was not my experience. Do you have a low roof and maybe drove mostly under 65mph when new? When I picked up my medium roof with a CCV pop-top (about 6" taller than a med roof) and drove it home from CO, my Vancontacts had less than a hundred miles on them. They were fine up to around 65mph, but after that, they were pretty scary-squirrely, especially when the headwind picked up (up to 40 MPH) on grooved concrete and I was passing semi's above 75 mph. My thought at the time was, "my wife is never going to be comfortable driving this thing on the highway." H-E-double-hockey-sticks (seems there is a filter for such language), it was on the edge of my somewhat unshakeable demeaner. They started tracking a lot better after about 1000 mi.

·
Registered
227 Posts
He was wrong, it happens.
It still baffles me that people using an on-line computer don't simply type in a simple Google search, e.g. "at3W 245/75r16" and check their "thinks."

Reactions: Newps

·
Registered
155 Posts
Why would you think that? From the Falken website:
28030628LT245/75R16E10120/116S
It still baffles me that people using an on-line computer don't simply type in a simple Google search, e.g. "at3W 245/75r16" and check their "thinks."
My mistake, I "think" I crossed up the Falkens with the Coopers. I promise next time (after this time 'cause ya know, I did it again) I go check on my "on-line computer".

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ok, one hour reading this thread and I still can't find a definitive replacement tire. Any help much appreciated. My van is HEAVY. Want to replace the stock contis w/ something a little more suited to off road. I recently cut a sidewall resulting in a flat off road on a stock conti.

Requirements:
-van is a (heavily loaded) 2019 HR EL
-no mod replacement for the stock tires including spare, on stock steel wheels.
-spare must fit inflated to 80 lb.
-no reduction in weight rating, load rating 121
-mostly highway use, some off road use.
-edit: van will not see snow

Tire rack has a few suggested replacements, notably all are "highway"; none say off-road.

245/75R16 BFG KO2 seem popular, with varying reports whether they fit w/o mod and whether they rub or not.

Thanks gang.
Look into the Michelin Agillis Cross climate. I have at least 15k on mine, stock size with the euro c, with no issues. Quiet on highway, reasonable on somewhat maintained forest service roads and qualify for snow. If you are into looks they have the medium aggressive look. They are also sold at costco.

·
Registered
87 Posts
strange that nobody is mentioning Cooper 245/70R16 Discoverer AT3 LT, was planning to get those and some Rhino Havasu rims next spring

·
Super Moderator
4,058 Posts
strange that nobody is mentioning Cooper 245/70R16 Discoverer AT3 LT, was planning to get those and some Rhino Havasu rims next spring
After over 3 years I'm still pleased with my Cooper Adventurer AT 245/75 tires, made in the USA. They are the same/similar as the Discoverer line, but branded exclusively for Pep Boys.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Brown Plant Automotive tire Tread Grey

·
Super Moderator
4,058 Posts
Did you try those in sand?
Snow?
How's is freeway at 75mph?
How loud?
Would you buy another set when time comes?
Thanks
They do fine in our Florida sand and soft ground.
Handled perfect every time it snowed here. No wait, it doesn't snow here, lol :unsure:
No problem at all at 75mph, noisier than highway treads obviously - but not "loud" imo
I would not hesitate to get the same tires again, my last Super Duty had the Discount Tire ATP version.
Also had/have and two different sets of the Adventurer highway treads on my other wagons.

Made in the USA!
Tire Automotive tire Light Wheel Tread

·
Registered
2021 X9C, 148MR, Eco 15 passanger
26 Posts
After over 3 years I'm still pleased with my Cooper Adventurer AT 245/75 tires, made in the USA. They are the same/similar as the Discoverer line, but branded exclusively for Pep Boys.
I have been stressing over tires since January when I ordered my Van. 255/70, 245/75, 245/70, E rating, 121 Rating, 118 rating, BFG's, Cooper's, etc, etc, etc... My wife is tired of me talking about it.

I wanted the BFG's at 255/70. but the timing of the van, and them being on back order is not going to work out. So my question for you is.. Did you have any issues with fit on a stock van?

I apologize if you have answered this before, Like I said I have gone through this thread, and the other one with the list the @surelybill has made. I honestly bought the 245/75 by accident off amazon, i thought I was buying 245/70. (Cooper Discovery AT3 LT). So I just want to know fitting on a stock van. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,058 Posts
245/75 Cooper AT, fully stock. No rubbing except at full lock over a bump (like backing out of a driveway).
That minimal rubbing is not at the pinch weld, but inside the wheel well on smooth rounded surfaces.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Auto part

·
Registered
26 Posts
245/75 Cooper AT, fully stock. No rubbing except at full lock over a bump (like backing out of a driveway).
That minimal rubbing is not at the pinch weld, but inside the wheel well on smooth rounded surfaces.
Thank you for the response, that is exactly what I was looking for. I think to avoid that I am going with the 245/70.

·
Registered
87 Posts
funny part is that I can't buy those tire there - THEY DONT FIT based on their info
For safety and convenience, adding your vehicle is required to ensure products fit.
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
261 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
funny part is that I can't buy those tire there - THEY DONT FIT based on their info
For safety and convenience, adding your vehicle is required to ensure products fit.
The tires I am buying from tirerack. I am just not putting vehicle info in. The hang-up is the 118 weight rating, which is lower than the stock tires. I think they are 121.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

1041 - 1060 of 1064 Posts